Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What big men will be able to transfer to UF?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jhbyrd, Feb 5, 2019.

1. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    UF has an awesome recruiting class coming in next season. If we can get a strong big man senior transfer we could be a top team next season. Does UF have a wish list for big man senior transfer at center or power forward?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

This will be a topic of an article I'm currently doing research for. It's not easy to sort who will be eligible to be a grad transfer so it's taking a lot of time but I'm really looking forward to identifying some targets

• Like Like x 10
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Let's do some recruiting. Any wild ideas should be encouraged. Could really fill up the off-season months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I'm gonna throw in my early #1 target based on extremely little research so far. John Mooney, Notre Dame. Way back in September 2013 this Florida native committed to us. De-committed when BD left. Now he's enjoying what should be an All-ACC season with the Irish. I believe he would be eligible for the grad transfer, correct me if I'm wrong. He's also their team captain so would fill that leadership role right away.

A legit 6'9 240. Perfect size and skills for the PF/C position in this offense. Averaging 14.5 ppg and 10.5 rpg for ND this season. Seasoned veteran, and this was what got me excited most..... shooting 80% from the line and a career 43.7% 3-point shooter.

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Sounds dreamy. Any particular reason we think he'd be interested in being a GT, and being one at UF?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Efawcett7

Mooney would be incredible. Unfortunately, he will not be eligible to be a grad transfer.

8. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    1. I don't think he's an NBA prospect
    2. he's all-academic honor roll, smart kid apparently
    3. yes, this is dreamy

• Like Like x 1
  9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Darn. Thanks for clarifying.

10. Efawcett7

He would have been a DREAM add if he could have been a grad transfer. The way that he had a 2 year commitment to BD and Florida would have made it poetic if he ended his career with the Gators.

It should also be noted that Mooney was a 3-star who Billy got a commitment from 2 years out from his class. Obviously he has been an outstanding player. The way BD identified a 3 star kid that early and knew he'd be that good is really impressive

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Efawcett7

There have been some Gator fans on Twitter for a while talking about getting Mooney as a grad transfer that have really spread that thought around but I have had to let them down by reminding them he's not actually eligible to be a grad transfer. Very unfortunate that I had to be the bearer of bad news.

12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    There will be far more players eligible to be grad transfers than there are ones who ultimately opt to exercise the option.
    The list of those who “can” AND “want to” transfer will not be known until those kids declare that intent.
    I look forward to Eric’s article but it is important to remember that it will represent half the equation... those who “can”.

13. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    So what are the rules? Obviously they have have graduated by the start of Fall classes, and I believe they have to pursue a graduate degree in a program not available at their current school. What else?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. Efawcett7

Right, I will probably try to focus on players who might be from the state or for some reason might have some allure to come to Florida but it's not like the Gators will have first pick at all these "free agents"

• Like Like x 1
  15. Efawcett7

They have to have taken a redshirt year at some point, that is the easiest way to look at it for basketball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Sounds like a good road to go down!
    Your’s is a daunting endeavor... you’ll keep busy searching so many rosters! Thanks for doing it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Efawcett7

I will definitely try to identify who the straight up BEST available grad transfers just because it would be fun to look at possibilities but yeah, probably best to focus on some guys that might have a reason off the court to come.

• Like Like x 1
  18. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Let's see what happens to our current roster first.

We have a fourth scholarship available due to the departure of Chase Johnson.

What is the likelihood of an outbound transfer or two? Will Okauru or Stokes be on the roster next season?

Will Gak be back? Is he sitting out because of the knee or his weight?

Are we 100% sure that Stone will be back, particularly with his return unlikely until midseason?

19. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Shouldn't White's staff already know whom to go after?

20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    No.