Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What a Pod Schedule might look like for Florida

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    I saw someone put together a 4 division or "pod" arrangement of a 16 team SEC and they had the division look like this for Florida:

Florida
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    Kentucky

I personally think 4 divisions is the best way to arrange the conference so I put together this schedule which is designed to play every team in the conference at least 1 one time every 3 years and allows for home and home with every team over 6 years. What do you all think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    10 game schedule? I’m still not sold on the pods idea. I still like 2 divisions and rotate 2 teams from other division every year for a 9 game SEC schedule.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. sd_gator

sd_gator GC Legend

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    I posted this over on another site imo I think this would be more fun option to run the pods and keeps the scheduling more fair within each POD. So UGA doesn't get a much easier schedule than UF etc or Bama getting over on AUBURN etc its is almost as balanced as it gets as 90 percent of your SEC schedule will be against common opponents.

So I have seen a lot of talk of this but imo everyone is getting it wrong. If we go to the pod system the best way to do it is to avoid the current scheduling downfalls where some teams end up with easier sec schedules and some end up with harder ones. With a pod format you will be able to ensure more equal scheduling year to year. Also below my take on the best setup for the PODs.

POD A
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    SCarolina

POD B
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Tenn
    Vandy

POD C
    TAMU
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Ms State

POD D
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Mizzu
    Arky

Ok so obviously you play all 3 teams in your pod
    everyone plays all 4 teams from another POD plus 1 rotating opponent from the POD that your POD would not play in the champions round (explained below) Which gives everyone 8 SEC games

So for example year 1 regular season, POD A plays POD B and POD C plays POD D
    POD A one rotating opponent would come from POD D
    POD B rotating opponent would come from POD C
    ( this would continue to cycle through for PODs and rotating opponents so every year you are matched up vs a different pod, giving more scheduling variety and ensuring you get to play all the schools more often and get a better true comparison between school in the PODs)

Champions round POD A Champ plays POD C Champ. POD B champ plays POD D champ. Winners of these games play each other in the SEC Championship game. Then teams 2-4 in each pod play against their respective finish opponents in those same pods. So lets just say the PODs finish as I have them set up for year one you would have the following.

Champion round
    Florida vs TAMU
    Alabama vs Oklahoma

2nd place POD matchups
    Georgia vs LSU
    Auburn vs Texas

3rd
    Kentucky vs Ole Miss
    Tennessee vs Mizzu

4th
    Vandy vs Ms State
    SCarolina vs Arky

So that is 8 reg season conf games
    9 including champ round and pod placement matches
    10 for teams that make it to conf championship

Cut down OOC games to 3 games. So max regular season is 13 games if you make the SEC championship.

I hope I explained that well enough but imo it is the most fair way to keep the scheduling as all teams in pods will have a more common schedule and the PODs are balanced pretty well. It keeps the schedule exciting year to year so you don't have to have the same 6 games every year etc.
    What do yall think?

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. sd_gator

sd_gator GC Legend

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    So for instance this year schedule could look something like this if we were to be in this pod system for 2021.

FAU
    USF
    BAMA
    VANDY
    AUB
    UK
    UGA
    TENN
    USCe
    TEX
    FSU
    Pod Champ Rd vs TAMU
    SEC Championship vs BAMA or OU

Year two could looks something like this below for regular season SEC games

UGA
    UK
    USCe
    TAMU
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Miss St
    TENN

We at least get more variety year to year, UGA would have the exact nearly the exact same schedule in year 1 switch FSU for Clemson and they would have 2 cup cakes and switch TEX with either OU, MIZZ or ARKY.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Keep the Divisions. Place two 4 team pods in each division. Play 9 SEC games each season. Best record team in Eastern Division plays best record team in West Division.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bonpear

bonpear Sophomore

Jul 30, 2021
    I always preferred the two team pod system as it keeps most of the regional and historical rivalries together.

So how the two pod system works is that you play your podmate, both teams in the pods above and below your pod and then one nonregional “historical” rivalry. That’s your permanent 6 “rivals”, the other 2-4 games depending on how many in conference games we end up with in the new system would rotate around the rest of the conference.

So for illustration I’m going to do a 20 team league where in addition to Texas and Oklahoma, I added in FSU, Clemson, NC State and Virginia Tech (I think that’s where everything is headed but I could see going to 22 or 24 by adding some combo of UNC, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pitt, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, Arizona and/or Arizona State and the two team pod system works great for that as well.)

So for the 20 team example I would have

Pod 1
    Florida ———> tenn
    Florida State ———> clemson

Pod 2
    Georgia ———> ole miss
    South Carolina ———> uk

Pod 3
    Clemson ———> fsu
    NC State ———> miss state

Pod 4
    Virginia Tech ———> missouri
    Tennessee ———> uf

Pod 5
    Vanderbilt ———> arkansas
    Kentucky ———> south carolina

Pod 6
    Texas ———> lsu
    Oklahoma ———> auburn

Pod 7
    Texas A&M ———> bama
    Missouri ———> vt

Pod 8
    Miss State ———> nc state
    Arkansas ———> vandy

Pod 9
    Bama ———> atm
    Ole Miss ———> georgia

Pod 10
    Auburn ———> ok
    LSU ———> ut

So in this scenario, UF says goodbye to cupcakes Vandy and Kentucky but in addition to playing Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and LSU, it adds in old rivals Auburn and FSU to its permanent SEC schedule.

This keeps most of the actual heated rivalries together plus adds some new, soon to be highly watched SEC clashes of FSU vs Clemson, FSU vs Auburn, FSU vs LSU, FSU vs Georgia, Clemson vs Georgia, Clemson vs Virginia Tech, Clemson vs Tennessee, Texas vs LSU, Texas vs Texas A&M, Texas vs Oklahoma, Oklahoma vs Texas A&M, Virginia Tech vs Tennessee, Oklahoma vs Auburn and of course the revamped Florida vs Auburn game. Those are going to be some vicious fights.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    THE SEC IN A POD LIKE NFL JOKE STYLE SETUP?

[​IMG]

8. Agator88

Agator88 GC Legend

Oct 7, 2014
    Only critique would be swapping Tamu for Arky, to give the LSU v Arky rivalry and the Texas v Tamu rivalry every year. Just an opinion though

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. sd_gator

sd_gator GC Legend

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    You could and it makes sense rivalry wise and location wise but also tried to keep these teams split up into Quality tiers and tried to keep as many rivalries together as possible but ultimately not all of them can be kept together when you do it that way. Also wanted to avoid any 1 tier being too strong from top to bottom to keep scheduling even from year to year. Its def not perfect but there is really no perfect way to do it. There are def a lot of ways it can be done. I just hope they don't screw it up. I hate that some years it depends on what schedule you pull vs having even scheduling for the teams you are competing against for the sec championship.

10. Agator88

Agator88 GC Legend

Oct 7, 2014
    Yeah I could see the argument with the new guys getting the short end of the stick, and would also give LSU an easier path. I could also point to the fact other than that one Sugar Bowl, what has Texas done the last decade? Mizz had their back to back East run, but that is the anomaly. They are middle tier at best. There's constant success and then there are teams who have a 2-3 year run and fall off a cliff for a decade. The last decade in tier would look like this to me.

Bama
    OU
    LSU
    UGA

AU
    UF
    A&M
    Texas

UK
    Mizz
    Usce
    UT
    MSU (group could be in almost any order after UK)

Ole Miss
    Vandy
    Arky

11. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I think we should move bama\auburn east.

12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I am against anything that takes Tennessee off our schedule every year. I am a product of Spurrier. I want those hicks on there every year.
    UGA. FSU and UT have to be on every season.

• Like Like x 2
  13. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Legend

Feb 1, 2011
    PicsArt_07-30-11.50.29.jpg Move Alabama and Auburn to the East and Mizzou to the West and Keep the East/West Divisions. Make 8 Pods of 2 Teams each for scheduling purposes only. Everyone plays everyone in the conference in a 4 year period and H/A every 8 years. It keeps almost all the big rivalry games in tact and makes the scheduling as fair as possible.

Pod Pairings

East
    A) Bama/Vandy
    B) Auburn/Tennessee
    C) Florida/South Carolina
    D) Georgia/Kentucky

West
    A) Texas/Arkansas
    B) LSU/Ole Miss
    C) Texas A&M/Mizzou
    D) Oklahoma/Miss State

Here's how a 4 year schedule could look. Obviously you reverse H/A the next 4 years vs the other division opponents.

Alabama:
    East plus @Ark/Texas
    East plus @LSU/Ole Miss
    East plus @Mizzou/Texas A&M
    East plus @Oklahoma/Miss State

Arkansas
    West plus @Vandy/Bama
    West plus @Kentucky/Georgia
    West plus @South Carolina/Florida
    West plus @Tennessee/Auburn

Auburn
    East plus @LSU/Ole Miss
    East plus @Arkansas/Texas

Florida
    East plus @LSU/Ole Miss

Georgia
    East plus @LSU/Ole Miss

Kentucky
    East plus @Miss State/Oklahoma
    East plus @Texas/Arkansas
    East plus @Ole Miss/LSU
    East plus @Texas A&M/Mizzou

LSU
    West plus @Vandy/Bama

Miss State
    West plus @Georgia/Kentucky
    West plus @florida/South Carolina
    West plus @Auburn/Tennessee
    West plus @Bama/Vandy

Mizzou
    West plus @Vandy/Bama

Oklahoma
    West plus @Vandy/Bama

Ole Miss
    West plus @Bama/Vandy

South Carolina
    East plus @Ole Miss/LSU

Tennessee
    East plus @Ole Miss/LSU

Texas A&M
    West plus @Bama/Vanderbilt

Texas
    West plus @Bama/Vandy

Vanderbilt
    East plus @Ole Miss/LSU
    East plus @Miss State, Oklahoma

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Geeze. Complicated. :confused:

It will all eventually, in time, morph into an NFL style schedule, maybe two or four giant conferences - one would assume. Might take a minute to get there. Then in the future when it all sucks and falls apart intramural sports will become the fad. HA! I guess we could always watch fistfights between parents at Little League games.

Football might need to be a big cage fight in the future to better represent society and the insatiable appetites' of the fans. I wonder if NFL viewership is up, down or steady? Look at the Olympics. Man, down 50%. (Of course no fans and covid.) Competitors get silver medals after training for 20 years and they're almost run out of town as losers. It's getting like soccer. "He missed the goal. Kill him..."

It's all morphing dystopian. :eek:

The light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice and the beatings will continue until the moral improves. HA!o_O

And I'm a pretty positive guy. Pond would be good for me...:D

Go Gators!:)

• Funny Funny x 1