Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

#WeWantToPlay

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Aug 10, 2020.

1. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Spencer Rattler and Kylin Hill hashtag’d #WeWantToPlay. May be the silent majority getting more vocal. All stating they have put to much work in. Need more leaders to step up now before it’s to a point of no return.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The SEC could make a fortune by finding a safe way to play football this season and re-negotiating our financial deals with the networks...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Florida, Bama, LSU and the Dawgs would make a great 4 team playoff.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    The young men that want to put the pads on, should be able to put there damn pads on!!

Go Gators

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    Trevor Lawrence could easily just sit the season out and get drafted in the first round. I gained a lot of respect for him from this. The dude just wants to play football. Good for him.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Dan Mullen also.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. g0ggles

g0ggles Senior

Sep 8, 2012
    'Bubble up' the SEC Teams, no fans, virtual classes, etc. Whatever you need to do. If the players/coaches wanna play, let's go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Respect their decision

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This would make more sense than the insane 10 game conference schedule.

Do a 6 game schedule of made for TV games mostly in conferences, bye week in between each game, maybe keep 1 extra rivalry game or premier out of conference matchup for each team, then do an 8 team playoff (I am for 8 teams anyway, but a shorter regular season makes the need even more obvious). You do it all with constant testing and bubble type living arrangements (strict curfews for players) to try and keep the virus out as much as possible. It wouldn’t be perfect, but it could have been done and the 8 team playoff gets you a pretty good champion (not like the contenders are a mystery). There’s only 12-15 teams that have a realistic shot at the playoffs. This could be sorted out in half a season, maybe with an *, but i don’t think there would be too many complaints about the integrity of the champion or the short season given the circumstances.

Bowl games could also all be done in their own bubble. Every team tested to get in to their hotels, stay together as a team, play the game, get out.

It’s just mind boggling to me after all these months basically nobody came up with any sorts of contingency plans along these lines, and instead thought they could do an almost business as usual approach by even ADDING conference games. That told me they just weren’t being serious.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AthensGator

AthensGator Senior

Sep 5, 2007

I am with you here. Had they been serious maybe it would have been East v/s East and West v/s West, off week between games then let the winners play a championship game, to me that would have been in this environment the way to do it....but nobody ever asked my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    #Iwanttowatchcollegefootball

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  12. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    What one man/woman thinks is there opinion. What these young men decide is best for them (with medical advice) is there decision.
    Not letting these young men have a say is Ignorant.
    This minority rules garbage is getting old in our society.

Go Gators

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Completely agree. Started a thread on this.

14. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    If we can put a bunch of five year old and under kids into daycares, then why can't we have brick and mortar schools and play sports?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The Big10 and Pac12 decision is another example of players, primarily from poor economic backgrounds, not being considered in decisions regarding their lives and future livelihoods. Rich white men making decisions for those making all the sacrifices. Don’t see how students can come back to schools, live in dorms, visit all open businesses, interact with public, but are unsafe in their bubble with testing and monitoring each week. Players were sacrificing and only interacting with each other to play football in the Fall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    They are all adults, right?

17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Respetfully, one could contend that this actually has nothing at all to do with "rich white men." One could instead counter that the prevailing sentiment to shut everything down across the country does not generally appear to be prevalant within that particular group of people. I would completely agree with your post, though, if, instead, you had generally referenced, "other people."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    There is some irony in these schools deciding to shut football down now based on the health concerns for the players when this violent game has been around 100 years and causes nothing but physical and sometimes mental illness brought about by playing football. Why is it now that we all of a sudden care about the physical health of football players and will this not evolve into the real discussion that all contact sports should be banned from society on the same rationale to protect people's health? Again it seems that governments, organizations, and systems if you will are taking away individual choice on risks associated with life decisions and that is a scary situation in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Exactly. At least in my circle of acquaintances, it is the group between 18-30 (including 1 of my daughters) that has the highest % cowering under their beds and sadly missing out on their lives. Ironic that they are the least susceptible group behind children. Life is a risky proposition and no one is guaranteed tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Good point. We weren't concerned about them blowing out their knees, getting concussions and CTE, etc., but we can't let them get a respiratory virus that in most cases causes only mild or no symptoms and that over 99% of the people that get it survive it. The rest of the students are going back to school living in dorms, frat houses, and sharing apartments where they will most certainly be exposed to the virus, but that's all fine and dandy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1