Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We've reached that point in the offseason

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by philnotfil, Apr 13, 2020.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What if ...

What if the 04s had Jason Williams as their point guard? Can you imagine him and Noah making people look silly on the fast break? In a vacuum Jason Williams is an upgrade over Taurean Green. But Green meshed so perfectly with that team and was so willing to do all the little things that kept them in sync, and always took care of the ball and put it in the right place at the right time. Would the upgrade at point guard throw off that team's chemistry? Would Jason Williams have gotten Noah in trouble off the court? Is there another Gator point guard that would have made that team more better?

2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jason Williams played no defense. He would have made the team worse. Maybe Chiozza because of his tremendous defense. Maybe Dan Cross or Wilbekin because of their outstanding all-around games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Scottie Wilbekin would make any Gator team better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I don’t think I’d want to change any pieces of that team. Back2back championships speak volumes. That team was The team! It’s like the ultimate Mozart concerto: displace one note and there is diminishment. Remove one stanza and the whole structure falls...

now,....for the other gator teams who made it to the final four: what one change would give them the title? E.g. Someone to tackle Grant Hill at half court was needed in ‘94.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Cross, Wilbekin and Glaspar were my favorite point guards, not that any of the otherswernt great.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Glaspar was really good and was fun to watch play. In addition to the games, I watched a lot of the practices back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Clifford Lett is really underappreciated by most Gator fans. He was solid enough to at least get a cup of coffee in the NBA with the Bulls. And the Bulls didn't suck back then.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    He was playing 2-guard and Sloan moved him to PG, and he was great. They won their first SEC title. They played with 6 guys And ran out of gas to Bama in the SEC-T. It was really a fun season to watch

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Can't say anything bad about Clifford or Andrew Moten for that matter. We have had some really good point guards. It's just a personal thing.

10. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    If 2014 had Bradley Beal, we probably win the national championship while also going undefeated.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Other than Beal’s solid rebounding, I don’t think that he was as good as a freshman as Michael Frazier was in 2014.

12. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Just to be clear, if Beal had stayed at UF through 2014 (which would have been his junior year), then I would agree with you as to the National title and going unbeaten.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, he was a favorite of mine. Extremely athletic, pretty good shooter, and good size for a guard. His becoming a Gator was always a good story. Sloan sent an assistant out to a Pensacola area high school game to scout one kid. The scout wasn't impressed by that kid but came back and told Sloan he needed to sign this other kid named Clifford Lett. I guess Lett had flown under the recruiting radar because when you saw him play as a Gator freshman, his shooting form was abysmal. But it improved each season until he was quite a good shooter with great form and mechanics.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My favorite Clifford Lett memory had nothing to do with him playing for the Gators. I played noon time pick up basketball in Florida Gym and he played pretty often. This was when he came back to school to get his degree. We knew each other. During an intramural game at the new Rec Center I hit a three and Clifford Lett from the next court over yelled out "Go Gators".

Made my day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. ufg8r3283

ufg8r3283 Freshman

Dec 7, 2019
    What about adding Teddy as the PG?

He's still one of my favorite UF players. His surprise return against UT after surgery and shutting up Ron Slay...

I wish he would have made better decisions back then, but I still love the guy's game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Taurean was a great fit for that team... he had that way of being able to pull up off the dribble, completely out of rhythm and bury 3 pointers. Guys guarding the ball had to stick to him which opened up drives and pick'n'roll/pop plays to start off sets. Pretty decent defensively too.

JWill would have made that team a nationally discussed all-timer for decades on offense... if you're going to have a PG that doesn't play defense, you might as well have 2 elite shot blockers behind him and have an on-ball guy like Brewer you can use to hide your PG on defense.

Wilbikin... I would have loved to see this (My all time favorite Gator in any sport). Between him a brewer, we would have had games with gigantic steal #s and scoring more off our defense than halfcourt offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1