Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Westphal Commits to UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And just the sleep schedule/ jet lag

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

Gotta love this staff. They are working very hard to put this class together.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    How about Oxygen masks every second you're not on the field?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    came here to post this. you and I along with @Wanne15 and @shane4three have always said it's EASY to recruit at UF as a staff if you just...i don't know....TRIED!!! While UF haven't won the SEC in 15 years, all of our coaches post Urban has had at least one 10 win season. We've been inconsistent but we haven't been TERRIBLE. The school etc sells itself if you just put the effort in

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Saying its EASY is selling our staff way short. These guys are putting in work. It’s doable, but it’s not “EASY”. The school doesn’t sell itself, the staff and all the work they’re putting in does. Every school in the country is coming into our state to try to take the best recruits. It takes a ton of effort to fight them off. Even with all the effort, they’re still going to miss on about as many as they hit on, and our NIL entities have shown that they will not participate in too many bidding wars which makes going after the top guys even harder.

This staff is putting in work. It takes a ton of effort. Your post is not giving them their due.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    It's almost as if the "maximum strain" mantra the last staff utilized applies to the coaching staff and recruiting as well. Not to turn this into a Mullen thread but that lack of effort by the staff while preaching it to the players is probably the thing I resented the most about the staff once some of those issues came to light.

I think Bobby appreciates the effort by Napier and staff although one could interpret it the way you did very easily. I'm guessing he means that the current staff could put the same effort in at other locations and they most likely wouldn't have the same success with exception to a handful of power programs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I get cha but I was saying overall, if a staff is dedicated to recruiting, being in the top 10 in recruiting at UF could and should be a yearly thing. That's my point and it's been statically proven in the past. That was a source of a lot of our frustration with the last staff. I have no doubt Mullen would still be at UF if and the staff were as dedicated to recruiting as this staff is. This staff has shown that beating the other top schools is doable if you're dedicated to doing so. Hell we wouldn't even have Etienne and Devin Moore as the previous staff ignored them. It's the little stuff like that is what i'm referring to.

i'm not and never have sold this staff short in their recruiting efforts

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    That's all i'm saying. Zook, Meyer, and Muschamp showed that you can recruit at a high level yearly if you're dedicated so seeing it happen now, i'm not downplaying it at all, I EXPECT it more than anything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I don’t think he was purposely selling the staff short, but I think he did anyway. It’s not easy. If it was easy, the school would literally recruit itself. It wouldn’t require so much effort. You’d just send out the offers and the kids would show up. This staff is doing way more than just trying. They give it their all, day in and day out. It’s not easy. It requires a ton of effort.

Sure, you’re not going to lure many of the top recruits to ULL, and Florida has some built in advantages over a lot of schools like that. It still requires a ton of effort, and there’s 20+ schools at least that could recruit as “easily” with the right effort and financial support. They’re fighting with almost all those schools for every single recruit. It’s not easy, in any sense of the word. It takes maximum effort AND financial support to hit at a high rate on the top guys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Saying it’s easy and the school recruits itself IS selling this staff short, man. I understand that may not be your intention.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I disagree as it was not my intention and I wasn't selling the staff short. It's all good, no beef or issues cause when it's all said and done, UF is killing it on the trail and will continue to do so in a few hours

• Like Like x 3
  12. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    We aren't taking anything away from them. Just the opposite. We FINALLY have a staff that places an extreme emphasis on recruiting and this is the reward (a potential top 5 class)...Heck...I'm on GC/Awesome Recruiting 8 hours/day because of this staff. I might be unemployed in 60 days but I'll be well informed on Gator recruiting.

To clarify what some of us have said...
    If you put max effort into recruiting at the following places, do you think you will get the same result if you put that exact same effort at UF?
    GA Tech, TCU, Central Florida, Washington State, Louisville, Mississippi State, UMass, Boise State, Purdue, Iowa, etc... (heck, FSU and Miami don't come close to what we have to offer)

It is "easier" at UF vs most schools due to any number of reasons. Location, educational excellence, alumni connections, facilities, tradition, amazing game-day atmosphere, warm weather, best conference, etc... UF is the total package.

We just needed someone who understands how to sell UF to recruits AND the desire to do it. We have our guy now.

FWIW - Katie Turner and Bri Wade are the secret sauce that bring it together.

• Like Like x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'll say this. I think you have to work harder at UF than you do at several other power programs for various reasons. Kelly isn't hip and has a reputation for being unlikable yet LSU didn't miss a beat after losing a coach and gaining an older awkward personal for a new one because LSU is the only option for Louisiana kids unless they go out of state and they are much more loyal to their home state than Florida kids are.

Gainesville has never had the best reputation as a college town or a city especially for minorities in years past. Not as much today but they still don't fit the big city nightlife of L.A, Miami, or New Orleans (I'm aware LSU is in baton rouge) and It falls shy of college towns like Austin, Athens (barf) and others.

Gainesville might be better than Norman Oklahoma but OU is the only player in the area especially now that Nebraska is dead. They have Texas and others to compete against but nothing like what we have to deal with in florida with the big 3 schools and surrounding states that cherry pick florida every year.

Throw in the facility war we were reluctant to get into and a less egregious booster culture and I could argue that Florida has been one of the tougher programs to recruit given these issues and some other dynamics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Bobby well all know how it was intended some posters… well you know

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatordadx2

Dec 24, 2017
    I wonder if we could get recruits to tell us what is different from the recruiting side from school to school where UF was better or needs improvement ?

16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I understand the intent of the post, but he didn’t say its easier here, and the results are achievable with maximum effort. He said its easy and the school recruits itself. It is easier here than at some of the other schools, but it’s still not easy and the school isn’t recruiting itself. I’ll stand firm on both of those points.

There’s at least 20 schools that could achieve top ten results pretty regularly with the right staff and financial support. We still have to fight with all those schools, plus a bunch more that don’t have much chance of reaching top ten classes every day to actually get there. It ain’t easy, man. Miami and FSU can definitely post consistent top ten results with the right staff and support. They’ve done so. So can Bama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, Oklahoma, TX, Tenn, Michigan, USC, Oregon, and a slew of others. All those schools are gunning for the same results as we are and have plenty of money to compete. With NIL in play, any school that can come up with the money now has a chance at achieving those results, even with a staff that’s not quite as good. It’s not easy, and with NIL money in play, it’s arguably harder now than it ever has been especially when it’s known that our big money isn’t going to compete in crazy bidding wars and spend ludicrous amounts of money like some other school’s big money are willing to do.

I’m not hating Bobby. I know he likes this staff, and his post was actually trying to show them love. I just think saying the words “it’s easy” and “the school recruits itself” is selling short the amount of effort it takes to reach these types of results, and I disagree wholeheartedly with both of those things. Easier than UMASS is still not easy. There’s plenty of other schools with good staffs and financial support, and getting into the top ten consistently is not easy. It’s achievable.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  17. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    That’s what I’m saying. It ain’t easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatordadx2

Dec 24, 2017
    It’s easy if you love doing it like it’s been said before find something you love doing have great people around you and you NEVER work a day in your life . You just get paid to do what you already love . I believe this staff Loves what they do that’s why they are so good at it my guess is BN loves the whole process , evaluating, recruiting, coaching and developing these young men and creating new and exciting relationships knowing he helped make a difference . I’ll bet Bri and Katie do as well Most of all I believe they love wining!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Understand that when you embark on a debate with @paidinfull you’re in it for the long haul. Dude never gives in, even when you’re both in agreement :D

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Just because you love it and you’re good at it, don’t make it easy. I loved my job for the last twenty years and I was very good at it, but it wasn’t ever easy to do it at a high level. That’s all I’m saying.

Top ten classes don’t just fall in your lap. It requires a ton of effort. It likely requires even more effort at a school like UF than several of the other schools vying for top ten spots because the financial support that is so necessary in todays game isn’t on par with some of the others fighting in the same ring.

It’s achievable, but it ain’t easy. It wasn’t easy for Zook or Urbs either. Zook talked about recruiting while taking a shower, and Urbs damn near killed himself trying to compete at the top level. I’ll say it again, it ain’t easy.