Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We're Gonna Miss John McCain

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, May 17, 2018.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]
    Mark Wilson/Getty

Like a beloved major leaguer playing his final season, accepting gifts and receiving toasts at his last appearances at opposing teams’ stadiums, John McCain finds himself on his death-bed bombarded by pre-obituary accolades from the press. The press, which McCain has long jokingly referred to as “my base,” has already issued so many sugary summations of his life and political career that by the time he dies the obituary writers will have nothing to chew on but a smattering of scraps.

In recent weeks, McCain has been lauded in print for his decency, his courage and his congeniality. He’s an icon. No, he’s an American hero! No, make that the conscience of the Senate! Bret Stephens and Gail Collins of the New York Times have gathered around the cracker barrel to reminisce in a piece embarrassingly titled “Maybe We Don’t Deserve John McCain” about the glories of covering his “Straight Talk Express” campaign for president in 2000. Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank, not usually given to this sort of acclamation, dropped his wise-guy persona last week to gush about McCain being “the single greatest political leader of our time.” Back in the Times, columnist Frank Bruni staged a Viking funeral for the senator, writing, “Although I disagree with many of his political views, including his too-keen itch for foreign intervention, that doesn’t prevent me from admiring him enormously.” Not even Derek Jeter and David Ortiz were flurried with as much confetti when they departed ...

Left to choose between McCain and Trump, the media will forever tilt toward McCain. But keep that preference in perspective: When left to choose between McCain—presently lionized as the living embodiment of American heroism and a paragon of virtue—and a young upstart senator from Illinois who had been on the national scene for less than three years, it swooned hard and long for the newcomer. The press has a fickle heart.

The Last McCain Swoon

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Bobby Kennedy would have been a great president.
    Hubert Humphrey would have been a great president.
    John McCain would have been a great president.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    none of those

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    So
    You prefer Nixon over Kennedy or Humphrey
    and Obama over McCain ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I will take Nixon over either of those guys

I voted for Barr in the 08 election

but your assertion was those 3 would have made great prez's and I disagree

the Kennedy family made their millions off of bootlegging liquor during prohibition and both JFK and RFK were notorious womanizers(and were idolized for it by der schlickmeister)

Humphrey was a leader of the liberal viewpoint

McCain has shown his true colors by carrying the hildabeasts water and passing along the dossier to the FBI and bragging about it

• Agree x 4
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    McCain was one of few Republicans who didn't kiss Trump's cellulite-laden ass. A true American war hero that will never be forgotten.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I will forever honor McCain's service
    just think his brain tumor affected his judgement in the last couple of years

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. studegator

studegator Sophomore

Feb 24, 2008
    I was all in for McCain during the 2000 election. Still believe he would have made a great president and our country would have been spared the Iran clusterfuck.
    He changed markedly after 2004. His choice of Sara Palin as vp ended my support.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. secgator

secgator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2007
    I see you've been partaking of the souped up version of the Alzheimer's drug being discussed in the other thread in here. That version that launches one to fantasy land.:D

All three are a joke.....but Humphrey in particular????

Humphrey??? Wow.o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    He'll definitely be forgotten. Quick, tell me who lost to Grover Cleveland in the 1884 presidential election without using the internet ... :)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I hope you mean Iraq, this is the guy who sang "bomb bomb Iran" to the tune of Barbara Anne. I'm not sure he would have kept us out of military conflicts, particularly with Iran.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Ok, he'll be forgotten. He can still rest peacefully knowing that he didn't kiss Trump's cellulite-laden ass, though.:D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Even if I knew the answer I couldn't tell you without using the internet since this is an internet message board. I'm not falling for your tricks! :)

• Funny Funny x 7
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There was no way he was going to be president. It was time again for that rarely used but almost always effective weapon: the magic bullet. (I say "almost" because even a magic bullet couldn't kill Reagan.)

He might have won had he not refused to repudiate the Vietnam War. He chose party over humanity.

His chance began palin' fast with his choice of a running mate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Enough of these visuals... I can't keep breakfast down. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t GC Hall of Fame

Aug 26, 2008
    Romney would have made a great presiden

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Colin Powell could have made a great POTUS, and was probably the guy we needed in 2000.

He was an enormous disappointment as SOS, though. His role wasn't to play good soldier when he knew better. Especially on something so critically important. Terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Which one? The one who he said he got "brainwashed" (George) or the one who had "binders full of women"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I think Romney losing was likely the biggest Presidential miss of my lifetime.

The truth is, team loyalty aside, money has entirely broken our governance on both sides, and until there’s serious campaign finance reform we are going to watch a clown show renewed by the networks in 4-year increments.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It amazes me how someone can even draw this conclusion.

Anytime someone on here posts "so", or "so what you are saying", or "in other words", just stop it. He said none of them would have been great Presidents. Doesn't mean he would have preferred any of them to their opponents.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1