Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wendell Carter's mom pulls a Kanye...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, May 7, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Duke star's mom: NCAA rules are like slavery

If she didn't like it, she could have chosen a different option. Can't imagine there weren't better options than "slavery".

I am not saying there aren't some good points in the discussion. To pretend that these colleges don't offer a lot of opportunity that these kids would otherwise not be able to sniff is, as Mrs. Carter would say, "nauseating".

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The one and done system needs revamping....but I’m inclined to blame the nba over the situation rather than the NCAA. And the AAU circuit and shoe deals etc. the NCAA rules of amateurism have been in place for decades, the context has changed quite a bit.

3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I don’t disagree with her. A coach under contract can leave for more money without sitting out a year, but a player earning no money has to sit out a year unless getting approval from the NCAA

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    She lost me at "The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.". Your son is playing a damn sport, not picking cotton or harvesting crops for a white master. He's receiving an education which was forbidden. He's free to sit out if he chooses without repercussion. It's time for people to stop referring everything to slavery in an effort to sensationalize their point. It's been over 150 years since slavery was abolished but yet it seems to be the focal point behind every perceived injustice today.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I agree with some of what she said, but damn kids do get a chance at free room and board, free food, free books, free education(which her son cared 0 about) and she was collecting cash when he was probably a sophomore in HS so she was leeching off her sons talent. I have ) sympathy for her. I feel some for her son, but they made a pretty good living off her sons talents before the NBA

6. eViLG

eViLG All American

Aug 18, 2013
    Ocoee, FL
    A quick Google search reveals the cost to attend Duke is approximately $72,000/year, and that’s for a regular student who doesn’t have access to resources that scholarship basketball players have.

Carter had the option of foregoing college altogether after HS and playing overseas.

No one forced him to go to the private “plantation” over in Durham.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    This is stupidity... bc rather than fighting for student atlhletes.... she makes it a racial cause and introduces the insanely dumb analogy.
    This isn’t “Black labor”... it’s ncaa rules, and ones that were in place before black men and women were permitted to participate. They are rules that include not only white basketball players, but also cover other sports that may be considered predominately white.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    There might be some bad rules, but it certainly isn't close to the conditions she is making it out to be. If it wasn't a good deal, her son didn't need to take it.

9. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Got it.

So ALL NCAA players are black?
    So ALL NCAA workers and college employees are white?

“If you remove all the stuff we give them to come play for us, then they do it for free and that’s not right.”

Those are her “exceptionally intellectual” points. How stupid an argument to make and what a way to shape it.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Also, I’ve never seen kids work so hard and practice on the courts every day to one day grow up and become a “slave.”

Just think about how dumb her analogy sounds.

11. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I'm confident saying that I hate her having said this more than most of you. I'm in favor of reform when it comes to amateurism and do not think, at all, that Carter received fair market compensation for his time at Duke. Cost of attendance (even at a pricey school) plus everything else that comes with being an athlete is laughable when compared with the actual value top athletes bring to schools.

That being said, how dumb do you have to be to compare this with slavery and how much of an agenda must you have to turn it into a racial issue? Her comments actually hurt the cause that I'm in support of.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Watch South Park's wonderful Crack Baby Athletic Association episode.

In fact, Capitalism assures that the Class Differences become great enough, and unemployment high enough (currently about 28% or more: Shadow Government Statistics - Home Page) that wage slavery is true for at least 50%, if not more of the US population.

The NCAA elitist rulebook merely exacerbates a widepread problem.

13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    "It feels intentional. It feels like it was built this way intentionally. I can't move that from my thoughts."

So the NCAA intentionally built an oppressive system for black athletes almost 60 years before they were even allowed to play an NCAA sport? THAT is some foresight

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. viningsgator

viningsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was under the impression the one and done was as a result of the NBA players association and the NCAA simply abided by the rule. The rule isn't likely to change as I've understood as there are only 450 roster spots in the NBA and the older players don't want to lose their high paying jobs to a bunch of 18 year olds every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. your_perfect_enemy

Apr 7, 2010
    Surprisingly I've read the opposite is actually true. The NBA players are very much in favor of doing away with the age limit and it's in there because front offices want to protect themselves from their own stupidity. I don't understand it for the exact reason you stated.

16. viningsgator

viningsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was listening to 92.9 this morning and those were the words from the Hawks GM Travis Schlenk.

17. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Capitalism isn’t the problem.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. your_perfect_enemy

Apr 7, 2010
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I largely agree, but on these discussion I think there is a tendency to waaaaaay undervalue the real value:worth of a college education/degree.
    The counterpoint, of course, is that he will not have earned his degree.... but wasn’t that his choice?

20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Definitely his choice. I know that I have a tendency to talk about this topic as though it is a massive injustice but, in the grand scheme of things obviously, its not a huge deal. I agree kids enter into this situation knowing the rules. They usually don't have a better alternative.

The education he received, or could have, is definitely valuable but its always something he can pay cash for later in life if he chose. I think the best case to be made for players (specifically the elite, future NBA stars) is the massive amount of marketing/exposure they get from playing college ball. Surely this has monetary value down the line.