Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Week End Report 5/17/19

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, May 17, 2019.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Visitors for the Cook Out

If you pay attention you know the full list posted on the recruiting page. So rather than re post it, let me just add my thoughts and you are free to add yours.

1. This is a big deal as UF needs some positive news if for nothing else but perception.

2. While I do not think UF will not get a slew of commitment< I do think they have a chance at making some very positive steps with certain guys.

3. I am told that E.J Smith is now a take. No he will not be here this week.

4. I do think CDM will push for at least one or two guys to go public with a commit.

5. Odom would be my first choice to do so, but I truly don’t think he is at that place yet.

6. Who do I think Might pop, Jordan Simmons, if he is given the green light. What that would mean however is that UF is looking to sign two at RB for 20.

7. Odom would be nice but I don’t expect an announcement.

8. Javion Cohen could end up in this class but I don’t think he announces this week.

9. Josh Braun, is IMO the most important OL Prospect for UF. I don’t believe he will do anything this week end but hopefully UF will make some inroads. I do expect it to come down to UF/UGA for Josh. The dude will be an all-conference type guy IMO.

10. Zykeivous Walker is an interesting visitor. I would love him in the class. Take him and Chantz Williams and call it a day at DE. Speaking of Williams, he had long been considered a package deal with OL prospect Jalen Rivers, now as is the case most times; it is conceded they may go in different directions. I could see Williams at UF and Rivers at UGA but who knows for sure at this point in time.

11. LB Markavius French (6-2, 235, Memphis, TN. Whitehaven is an interesting guy. He will visit this week and has UF in the top 5.

12. DE Braiden McGregor (6-6, 250, will be coming in for an OV. He is out of Michigan, and we can hope for good weather.

13. Jahquez Robinson, Bama commit will get the full Monty. I am not discounting a flip, either this week or in the future.

14. Romello Height is a GT lean but has visited UF several times and is from all reports a beast at LB’er. Need a really good visit for him.

15. So Candy who are the best bets to commit?

16. DB Joel Williams (6-2, 180, Baton Rouge, LA. Will visit this week end. Good relations with the staff.

17. DT Branard Wright (6-3, 300, Dallas, TX. Carter)this will be Wrights first visit to Gainesville but the staff has developed a really good relationship with him.

Synopsis: This week is important for several of UF’s top targets. A good weekend will go a long ways towards reversing the negativity of last week.

• Like Like x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Thanks Candy. Let’s hope Dan and the boys put the magic sauce on the ribs!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sd_gator

sd_gator All American

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    Thanks lets hope for some positive momentum

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Warren Brinson is on campus. Gervon Dexter is on campus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. spike718

spike718 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Supposedly Joel Williams is announcing commitment to someone this Sunday. He’s in Candys list above as a most likely commit this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Babablkshp

Babablkshp Freshman

Jun 21, 2016
    Melbourne, FL
    EJ Smith is “now” a take because we need to make up serious ground with Lee and Toafili. This is what concerns me. Love Mullen but we can’t miss on both Bowman and Lee.

7. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Nothing is final, but it's out of our hands with other schools in the driver's seat. At this point we need to hope the respective leaders screw up and we are the next school up.

I think Dan Mullen is doing a great job, but his recruiting is a big handicap against the elite programs. Also makes for a frustrating off season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I agree to a certain extent about winning a few game changers. Has to happen eventually.

But people seem to be saying they are sort of happy with Mullen as a recruiter but he can't be elite.

Look at the "elite" recruiting programs today. Facilities are at an all time high. The stuff they are publicly getting away with pale in comparison to our past violations of "amaturism." We seem to be complaining about BAMA, Clemson, uga, and maybe lsu and osu. Oregon as well somewhat. It's a filthy game and I'm not sure our level of commitment to the sleezy side of it is there. Definitely not our facilities yet although they are in the works.

Excuses some will say but Wtvr. Just remember Spurriers recruiting was very good too but I doubt it would qualify as "elite" either compared to Fsu,miami, tennessee and others of yesteryear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill Junior

Feb 7, 2018
    I bet it’s easier to recruit when you have a history of winning. Give Dan Mullen a little more time.

The 6 years before Mullen kind of hurt us.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A great recruiting staff gets results without having to make any excuses like this. We're doing OK but we don't have a great recruiting staff right now. OK means Top 10-25 caliber. Great means playoff/championship caliber.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. g8r925

g8r925 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 10, 2009
    Immokalee,fla
    You got it, I mean look at Muschamp. Boy couldn't get an offense to catch a cold, but the man could flat out recruit. Mullen has got to get some stud recruiters on this staff in the future.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill Junior

Feb 7, 2018
    Not an excuse.

We gets lots of looks, but can’t quite seal the deal with some of these big time recruits because of the bells and whistles other schools offer... not to mention their winning records.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Foley... Lol.

Just win and they will come.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Exactly, and it we can still win a natty with some luck on the injury front and a Heisman caliber qb. But we probably can't be the perennial contender that the elite recruiting schools are

15. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Folks can "C'mon Man" me all they want. I think Dan is the right guy for us, but that doesn't mean we can't expect more from him in certain areas.

And for the record, I am not saying that Mullen can't get there. I think he can. People might have forgotten this, but in McElwain's last year he made staff changes and managed to reel in some very good prospects before he was canned. I don't recall exactly where our recruiting class was ranked at its highest that season, but I think we might have been top 5. And if Shark Humper can do it, anybody can. Mullen just has to acknowledge that recruiting isn't exactly where it needs to be.

I do think Mullen's ego is part of the issue - he might believe he can scout and develop his way to a title without having to land top 3 classes every year. He IS a damn good coach and maybe - just maybe - he can pull it off. The problem is that every NC-winning team in recent memory had at least a handful of 5 star recruits. Bama, Clemson, FSU, Meyer's Florida teams, and so on. So I'm skeptical that Mullen can bring home hardware if we can't win our share of head-to-head recruiting battles against Clemson, UGA, etc - especially for players from the Sunshine state. Symbolically, I still think Bowman was a huge gut punch for us. Mullen has to learn from that one so we can avoid it with the next top 25 player who emerges in the heart of Gator Country.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill Junior

Feb 7, 2018
    One thing for sure, excellent QB play is a must. I know that’s not the only thing.

17. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I am so sick of hearing people whine about CDM's recruiting.

Look... do you really think Kirby Smart with his bowl hair cut is just an "elite" recruiter? F no. We all know some schools are flat out cheating their butts off. Come on... the dude has as much IT factor as a toaster oven.

CDM is playing from behind. We are not cheating.. at least not at Bama/UGA levels. We had a decade of suckage we need to overcome. Those are real obstacles. Some may say excuses, but I'd say they are short sighted.

I would 100% prefer an average recruiter and a great position coach over a great recruiter and an average position coach.

I hate seeing us lose kids like Bowman but it is hard to beat a NC team.

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    I wouldn’t call recruiting classes with 9 5-star DBs, no TEs and 1 OL as elite recruiting. He could stock pile studs in a few positions but would completely whiff on a few others. His roster management was worse than Mac ...and that’s a pretty low bar.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    A little update. Carlos Del Rio was on campus today. Tim Smith made it in. Branard Wright did not make it in. Don't know why yet. Dexter is recruiting Brinson to UF. I expect a good haul on DL for 2020.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    You guys talking like we're ranked in the 20's come recruiting this cycle lol

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1