Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We need to be a fast break team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jeffphillips21, Dec 14, 2019.

1. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Scrapped the offense after 2 or 3 games? I never saw them running an uptempo style in the first two or three games. I call BS on White. First time I feel like he hasn’t been honest in his interviews. Maybe he’s lying to himself because this team hasn’t played fast once.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I’m not following your line of thinking.
    Not playing fast doesn’t preclude wholesale changes.
    We absolutely have become much more set-oriented, and moved away from the freedom and free-flowing ddo.
    I said it weeks ago. The change has been quite noticeable.
    Whether or not it works, or was a good idea... we will see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Very key, and that needs to translate to games - under the lights - and in away arenas in the SEC

4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    True - and calling for faster tempo does not necessarily mean calling for whole-sale changes. Maybe some posters have suggested scrapping the current offense, but it seems more posters are concerned with tempo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Maybe.
    I haven’t take a poll, but I’ve read a lot about scrapping the offense.
    I also think we should play with increased tempo.

6. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Sophomore

Jul 16, 2019
    Bingo. Long overdue.

7. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Systems that have employed opportunistic fast breaks as a key element of their offensive arsenals have coexisted with the use of offensive sets almost since the beginning of basketball. Those two elements are not mutually exclusive. I am fine with the sets, in fact, I like them, but I absolutely believe that we should make full use of all feasible fast break opportunities.

I simply cannot imagine why it is considered to be a good thing to ignore them, especially given that we are NOT a good half court team! My gosh....if you are not good at executing a half court offense, at least try to run. Am I missing something?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. happygatorguy

happygatorguy Sophomore

Apr 17, 2007
    I don't understand. MW and pretty much everyone on this forum has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know. So we have a fast team that has not learned how to play fast together yet so we are trying to teach them to play slow together in which they have not learned that together either. Probably have same amount of losses with the fast learning curve.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    I’ll be there to see some of them. I’m counting on it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    No poll? What have you been doing with your free time, fishing?:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree. Of course they are not mutually exclusive.
    But unless your Paul Westhead, fast break hoops is more capitalizing on opportunities than it is a designed offense. We have had people suggest scrapping the offense in place of ‘playing faster’. As you’ve said, “running offense” and “running” can be done in tandem ....regardless of what you may employ in the half court.
    What we have scrapped is the free flowing, read-and-react DDO style of play, and have replaced it with something much more set oriented.

The former should be more fluid and arguably “faster” in the half court, but for the fact that our guys were not moving, or making reads. So it was entirely stagnant. White seemingly lost confidence in this team’s ability to take on the responsibilities of the ddo.

I actually prefer traditional basketball.... set plays... ball moving inside/out.... screen and roll... etc, etc.

I just hope Mike doesn’t pump the brakes when we do have a chance to push, and insists on settling into the half court. That has happened at times, as he say the guys still don’t know when to run or make proper decisions/passes. That’s gotta be something to work on.

Two other points:

1) I still think we will be a very good half court offense by February

2) there aren’t a ton of fast break, full transition opportunities on a game. Teams are typically pretty decent at getting back defensively. Still, I think we have guys who can get a rebound and go... rather than hold and look for our guard.

12. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    "Has happened at times" is an understatement. You can see every game him barking at his guys to slow it down in the backcourt. The statement in bold is crap and evidence of his over-coaching/micromanaging. These kids know how to run as that is pretty much all they do their whole b-ball lives until they get to college. Of course mistakes will happen at a faster pace. He's got to be willing to live with the results of guys like Mann/Lewis/KJ/Glover in transition. To date, he clearly is not willing to let them push the pace at all.

Secondary break should be a given with this roster. Prioritize getting the ball into the frontcourt immediately. You can get it into the frontcourt much quicker passing than dribbling. Try to initiate offense and find the open man before the defense has a chance to get set. If the defense denies this opportunity you've at least initiated the offense much quicker in the posssession.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    I, for one, have never suggested we scrap an offense and play "street ball". I think it's great that we are adopting more sets for AN, NL, and KB, BUT we have other players on this TEAM that would seem best suited to play faster. In order for our Team to maximize it's roster I feel we have to incorporate both styles of play. We are #311 out of #353 in terms of Adjusted Tempo according to KenPom. I think it's safe to say that ineffective, fast, transition O has been squelched!! As I have said in other threads, I think MW has his hands full in finding the delicate balance with a Split Personality roster. As the OP said, running fast breaks whenever possible is a start. As I have said, going to a full court press occasionally could help with tempo. None of this means we can't run offensive sets (and we should!) in the half court at other times. I am still confident CMW will figure it out and this team will make a run in the tournament.

14. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    You been watching this team under White? Not going to happen.

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    No argument on any of the above.

16. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I took his statement as if he was trying to let his team fast break when possible but they turned it over too much when they did. Can’t imagine a coach not wanting his team to take advantage of easy scoring opportunities when they happen if given an opportunity to run.

17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I see.

No, that wasn’t what he was referring to when he said he changed the offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Roy Williams (I know, I know) once told a reporter that people will sometimes come up to him and ask, "Hey, have you ever considered -" and he's always like, "Yes, I've considered! It's literally our job to consider everything. There is nothing you can say that we haven't already considered, I promise you."

Whenever I plan on criticizing someone accomplished in a position of authority, I try to start with the assumption that the person I'm criticizing isn't an actual, factual stupid person. I try to assume that they've already considered the thing I'm suggesting. So, in this case, I assume that Mike White - not a stupid person - has had the thought "Should we run more?"

Which isn't meant as a defense of White. Reasonable people make mistakes all the time, even with the benefit of thinking things through. I have a brain (not much of one, perhaps, but it is mine), and I'm allowed to use it to criticize rich, powerful people. White has thought through the idea of opening up the throttle and letting the team run and he's decided not to it. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong.

Regardless of the specifics, though, Mike White is a millionaire and it's his job to make it work. He has the roster he wants, it's mostly healthy, and now the results are all on him. Run up and down the court, play Virginia ball - whatever. Just make it work. It's his job to figure that out, not ours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    To run a fast break offense you must first force a live ball turnover (that is ideal) or a missed shot that you can rebound with only one or two guys hitting the defensive glass.

This does not sound like a skill set our team possesses.

20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    In most recent years, this was a huge factor in our inability to break. We crashed the glass 2-5 because we were so undersized in the post.
    I think we can now rebound pretty effectively w Kerry and Keyontae.