Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We need some perspective.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Halo05, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That is exactly the kind of answer I would expect from someone who is a fan but doesn’t really understand the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    I hear this all the time. Making the big bucks so the coach is infallible.
    Did folks feel that way when Muschamp was knocking down millions of Gator money?

Coaches sometimes coach not to lose. Some coach to keep the other team honest and keep them on their toes. But whichever it is, no coach making the big bucks should continue to do what is clearly not bringing the results. I think we all agree Mullen has done a fine job preparing (in his words) "three starting QBs" If not for his prep with Trask we probably aren't even in the game at the half-- it would have already been over for the Gators. As far as Grantham; being great every other week aint gonna cut it in the SEC. And make no mistake I think he's very good. But--- with that said, you have to be able to assess and adapt quickly and make good-- better-- decisions when the Offense is doing their job and your guys are laying an egg. Kind of how I've felt the reverse in years past when the D was stellar and the O was pathetic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Hate to say but I don't remember a 14 point loss ever looking that good before.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. 183gator

183gator Junior

Nov 17, 2010
    Here's perspective, early August someone says you're 6-1 heading to South Carolina, you say hell ya.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    And DB holding

6. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    I understand enough to know that Florida's defensive talent is far better than Utah State's, and should have allowed less points. But you go on thinking a game like this is acceptable and stick with your petty ad hominem attacks.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  7. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    FIFY

8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Come on. It’s obv that Trask is our QB1

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. gator32405

gator32405 Senior

Nov 30, 2008
    Agree with the point of this thread. Anyone watching the game saw an elite team (LSU) and a very good team (UF) having an offensive slug fest in which we came up a few plays short. It seems this loss actually gained us more national respect than beating Auburn at home.

We have a great opportunity now to go win the East and beat Georgia. Next week, we got the nooner away game which is great because it limits crowd noise. It looks like S. Carolina will be starting their third string QB and will be without 3 O-linemen and their top receiver due to injuries. Thank you, Georgia. They are just as banged up as we are so our passing game and coaches should be the difference in this game.

The other threat, Missouri, is getting a game between the hedges the week prior to our matchup in Columbia; so we have a situation where Georgia helps us twice by softening up both USCe and Missouri before we play them. Even with the assist from the Dawgs, this is going to be the hardest of the three IMO.

That brings us to Georgia... they are banged up and I see this game in Jax as the most important game in the Dan Mullen era. A win gets us to the SECCG and sets up a potential rematch with LSU. A win also changes perception with recruits that Georgia is a better program. Beating Georgia in my mind is what this season is all about. The LSU game is pretty much a throwaway that leaves all our other goals intact; with a reasonable chance that we get to see them again on a neutral field in Atlanta.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Saying the loss is on the coaches is ridiculous. Are they part of the reason? Sure, but given the players we had and injuries, I'm not sure what adjustments Grantham could have made to make a difference against that O. I definitely think some of the play calls were head scratchers but if you asked if we should run Perine against AU last week when we were getting no running yards, most would say no. 88 yards later, TD. Many just disagree with pounding the coaches and concluding we were outcoached. I think we were outmanned against a good team at their place and our coaches did not call a perfect game. I do not think we were outcoached.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Pnick81

Pnick81 Senior

Feb 1, 2015
    6 drives of 70+ yds 6-7 minutes of clock time against a very good defense. Offense helped the D keep rested and ready to go. I’m extremely excited about where CDM has this team headed. Looking forward to the rematch in Atl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You go girl

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    It isn’t. It’s true and obvious.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    2 situations

1. 3rd and 1 going into redzone to tie the game, bring Trask in to run from the I formation. This was just after bringing in EJ on 2nd and 5.

2. The series after LSU went up 35 -28 when he brought EJ IN FOR AN ENTIRE SERIES vs letting Trask drop dimes down the field

To me, these 2 decisions in the game put us in the hole. EJ is great in the redzone, KT is AWESOME between the 20s man.

We haven't even brought up the last 4 plays at the goal line...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. WhattaGator1

WhattaGator1 Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Oct 12, 2019
    Oh, how I remember the threads from 3-4 weeks ago...

When people were wondering how the Gators would handle "The Gauntlet".....
    Many people were wondering if we would even come out with one win over Auburn, LSU and Georgia...

We went into very hostile territory...when Greenard and Zuniga both went down , we lost our edge rush...that allowed Beavis to scramble..which makes him much more dangerous.....

Trask and EJ played very well. .Trask was sharp...I think that once LSU scored two quick TDs later in the game...Trask hit a bit of panic mode...throwing one pass in the dirt and one INT in the end zone in two of our drives put a stake in us
    Overall, Trask played well..over 300 passing yards against the LSU defense ain't too shabby

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill All American

Feb 7, 2018
    We just need to get to the next game. I bet the Gators will hit SC hard.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, perspective is nice but if a player drops the ball it’s huge... same for incredibly rich coaches. They have to scheme around weaknesses and lift up our players if possible.

Good game last night though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Exactly! This game was on a razors edge the entire time and the team that made the first critical mistake was doomed and unfortunately it was us. I think its astonishing to see end of the world mentality when we were playing against a legit Heisman contender. You know who should feel like the world is ending.its UGA..lost to 3rd string QB at home!

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I love positive perspective but it is absolutely ok to talk about, point out and question some calls that seemed by a large majority may not have been best for the situation.

In my opinion, the board has grown up and we have matured over the Muschamp and McElwain eras. We all believe in this coaching staff and no one called for coaches to be fired. I’m proud of the board and I’m proud of this team.

Now that said, you just can’t lay an egg this week against a 3rd string QB who is hobbled with a sore hammy.

Go Gators!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Agree 100%. No one wants this staff gone. Although I wouldn't be upset if TG found another gig. I think Geoff Collins and Charlie Strong were better but that's irrelevant. Points I was making were clearly the wrong personnel calls in the most crucial points of the game. Easily could've cost us the Auburn game had we not won that one.

Now we see what this team is made of. Every game is winnable but honestly the game I'm most nervous about is Mizzou

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1