Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We have lift off....

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Jul 30, 2020.

1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Safe travels to Perseverance heading to Mars

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It has a drone

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/mars-helicopter-attached-to-nasas-perseverance-rover

The Helicopter

After the descent stage fueling, the system that will deliver the Mars Helicopter to the surface of the Red Planet was integrated with Perseverance. The helicopter, which weighs 4 pounds (1.8 kilograms) and features propellers 4 feet (1.2 meters) in diameter, is cocooned within the delivery system. In one of the first steps in the day-long process on April 6, technicians and engineers made 34 electrical connections between the rover, the helicopter and its delivery system on the rover's belly. After confirming data and commands could be sent and received, they attached the delivery system to the rover.

Finally, the team confirmed the helicopter could receive an electrical charge from the rover. Before being deployed onto the surface of Jezero Crater, the Mars Helicopter will rely on the rover for power. Afterward, it will generate its own electrical power through a solar panel located above its twin counter-rotating propellers.

The helicopter will remain encapsulated on the rover's belly for the next year and will be deployed around the beginning of May — roughly two-and-a-half months after Perseverance's landing. Once the rover drives about 330 feet (100 meters) away and the helicopter undergoes an extensive systems check, it will execute a flight-test campaign for up to 30 days.

• Like Like x 3
  3. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorzfan

gatorzfan VIP Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The drone will bring great data for NASA and I'm sure amazing pictures. Man on Mars in 2030 according to some, like.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    They said it's mostly going to send telemetry, not many pictures. Its basically just to test whether it works on Mars to learn for future missions. The atmosphere is about 1% of ours while the gravity is about .6 I think. So the rotors need to move very fast to generate lift while the craft has to be very light.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    This was the big inaccuracy of The Martian. Because of the thin atmosphere, there are no dust storms on Mars powerful enough to tip over a big ascent rocket.

That and creating water by decomposing hydrazine and burning the resulting hydrogen works, but produces way too much heat. He would have turned the HAB into an oven.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Funny, that was my immediate thought when I heard the NASA lady mention the atmospheric pressure when talking about this thing. Also how the hell were the Martians supposed to go from almost no atmosphere to breathable in The Expanse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Imagine being the first person on earth to pilot a drone in the Martian atmosphere.

Damn cool

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I was listening earlier and they essentially said you could send a mission to Mars every 5-6 months indefinitely. Pretty cool

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    3/8ths of Earth's gravity.

11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't realize the atmosphere was that thin. I knew the gravity was lighter, it that the reason for the thin atmosphere?

12. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A couple of videos on Perseverance linked in this thread:
    This is stunning.....surface of Mars in 4K

That helicopter is no small task. Flying a helicopter in Mar's atmosphere at the surface is like flying one at 100,000 feet on Earth. The highest a helicopter can fly on Earth is approximately 30,000 feet....they normally hover at 10,000 max.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Whoa, you mean that wasn't a documentary?:oops:

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I think partially. There is some kind of explanation on Wikipedia but it's all in science talk.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Totally true. What I found cool is that Andy Weir was humble enough to admit it!

"In reality, Mars' atmosphere is 1/200th the density of Earth's. So while they do get 150 km/hr sandstorms, the inertia behind them — because their air is so thin — it would feel like a gentle breeze on Earth. A Martian sandstorm can't do any damage. And I knew that at the time I wrote it.

So I went ahead and made that deliberate concession to reality, figuring, "Ah, not that many people will know it." And then now that the movie's come out, all the experts are saying, "Hey, everyone should be aware that this sandstorm thing doesn't really work and Mars isn't like that."

So I have inadvertently educated the public about Martian sandstorms. And I feel pretty good about that."

• Like Like x 1
  16. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Missed it and I was doing my morning walk.

17. thegator92

thegator92 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Partially. Research for exact answers is still underway, but basically Mars lacks the internal electric dynamo that Earth has. Either the core cooled more because it was farther from the sun, and/or it lacks as much metal due to initial composition, and/or the planet is smaller. At any rate, it does not create a strong magnetic field and the pressure of energy from the sun has slowly stripped away the atmosphere. Meteorite strikes, maybe some giant ones, probably helped too, and the thinner atmosphere and lower gravity compared to Earth allowed ejected gases to escape.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hope they find my super ex-girlfriend up there.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. thomadm

thomadm Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Will never happen. It takes EM(light, radio waves etc) between 3 - 22 minutes to go from Earth to Mars depending their orbit around the Sun.

20. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Love this thread.

Mars’ magnetic field shut down (dynamo, as thegator92 said) for some reason, possibly because of it’s size (much smaller than Earth) and the sun stripped the light gasses away. Imagine how precarious our atmosphere is, especially considering Venus which is a runaway greenhouse.

• Like Like x 2