Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

We are better than Georgia

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Nov 9, 2019.

1. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    Mr. #22 is 5'9" tall also. Dynamite comes in small packages, it seems. What a game he had.

2. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    #22 is Clyde Edwards-Helaire
    (yeah I had to google it too)
    Clutch plays but without Burrows LSU isn’t elite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There was no luck involved in our loss to UGa. They were better on both sides of the line of scrimmage. We were lucky (or Smart was sloppy) in keeping the final score within a TD. Our DE's were clearly still injured, and our OL has been a weak point all season. Mullen did a fantastic job of coaching the game (around our weaknesses), but he came up short. We ran for only 21 yards, because Mullen had to work the short passing game to cover for our inability to block the Georgia front seven. On the other side of the ball, our defense got no pressure on Fromm, and he picked us apart with his short passing game, then wore us down with the amount of time they were on the field.

We play them 10 times, we win one or two. Be glad that we have the better coach, and once we arrive at this game with a better OLine and a healthier DLine, we will start winning the games again. Unfortunately, the one area that Mac neglected the most (OL recruiting and development) is the one part of the team that takes longest to rebuild from scratch. That's the difference between what Mullen inherited and what our previous coaches inherited.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Doesn't matter if we claim to be better than Georgia or not. Only mattered who was better on game day. Time to focus on the rest of the season. Win out and we still have an excellent season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Recon this is the original post I was replying to. LSU and #22 ran the ball very well on Bama. I will say it is their passing game with Burrow that opened up the run for them. Yes we all see Burrow as probably the Heisman winner. He is a good,serviceable runner but to misquote Dan Mullen "he is no Jamelle Holieway" he is a great passer though . I'll say it again, LSU ran the ball very well on bama.
    (In his press conference yesterday Dan Mullen said that Trask is no Jamelle Holiday when it comes to running the option). I will agree if you meant it that the LSU passing game is what originally killed bama, not so much their run game. But they ened up pretty balanced. Kind of like a Steve Spurrier script to win a ball game.
    We are not better than UGA

6. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    I agree Burrow and his arm as well as a few good scrambles beat Bama. Edwards finished with 103 yards rushing (Harris for Bama had 150 by comparison)
    I do agree Georgia was the better team a couple weeks ago but as someone posted CDM coached his worst game of the season. Maybe I’m being a homer but if Mullen has been on point that game has a different outcome.
    Anyway I see my opinion is in the minority so I will let it go. Agree to disagree

7. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Georgia has more talent overall, just shows you how important coaching is. Give Mullen time to get our overall talent up and look out!

8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    no, we are not.... at least not yet. Let's not develop a case of swampshiemers.....

9. InagaddavidaGator

InagaddavidaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But they did! That short dude with the two last names sealed the deal. The point is LSU had running as a viable option.

10. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Grantham looks dominating against bad teams, but looks a lot worse against good OL and good QBs. It’s all about the pass rush and getting the qb off balance for him.

If we had a good gameplan we beat uga 6 out of 10. The defensive gameplan we actually used i say we beat uga 1 out 5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. OB1

OB1 GC Legend

Sep 5, 2010
    He definitely elevates that offense. He is deserving of the Heisman hype!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OB1

OB1 GC Legend

Sep 5, 2010
    They proved otherwise on the field. While I wish this was not the case, it is. We lack depth on defense and a running game.

13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Whether we are better than UGA or not, we were not better than them when we played them. It's over and done now. We can't play the game over again.

That loss is now a firm 56 - 0 whipping of Vanderbilt in the past now.

Let's just take care of ourselves and win out.

14. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Huh..what? Re watch the game. They are the better team..when we beat them come back to this topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorcarson

Gatorcarson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UGA looked beatable because Missouri played a lot of press man, which Fromm has struggled with all year. Had we done that you may be right. But if we played them 10 times, Grantham would run his soft zone all 10 times and we would lose 9.

16. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No way we are a better team than Ga. I was there and saw it with my own eyes, the score actually was closer than it should have been. As with us catching up with them in recruiting, not happening anytime soon. Actually by any objective standard the gap is growing. You really need to take off your orange and blue glasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. wearetheboys

wearetheboys Premium Member

Dec 6, 2015
    It was not a close game. Just looked that way to some. We were outplayed and out coached for majority of all 4 quarters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wearetheboys

wearetheboys Premium Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Well said. No doubt CDM has the ability to out-coach Kirby. Did not do it this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Not when it mattered. Football isn't just about who has the 'better' team, but which team has the best game plan, executes better, and sometimes gets the breaks (either iffy calls or weather/wind/bounces in their favor).

I'd say it was a good learning experience for the whole team, from players to staff.

20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I check the scoreboard picture I took. The better team scored more points