Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We are #270 in FG%

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Feb 3, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    He is not telling the truth! ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Me thinks he was joking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    He may have been and I hope he was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Question - how much of the DDO is predicated on the pick and roll?

I ask because when I watch Billy's Thunder for eg (and many NBA teams), they run the pick and roll to near perfection with Westbrook and Schroder running the point and PG13, Adams and Grant etc rolling to the hoop for layups, alleyoops and jump hooks etc. They almost always get the shot they want. Both Westbrook and Schroder can beat their guys off the dribble almost at will - and yet even they almost always wait for the pick before they make their move.

I would think the pick and roll and pick and pop would/should be a HUGE facet of the dribble drive - especially when you have very few guys on the team that can beat their player off the dribble.

Picks force the D to make a decision - and not just the 2 defenders up top - once the ball handler gets into the paint it then forces the guy(s) manning the basket to also make a decision to either stay with their guy or commit to stopping the ball handler, at which point he can (1) shoot a floater over the guy (2) alleyoop to the guy setting the pick (3) alleyoop to a cutter or low post player etc etc etc...

But if we're just relying on guys that can't beat their guy off the dribble to beat their guy off the dribble, you end up having guys try to break the D down, fail, then pass to another guy that tries, fails, then eventually takes a few dribbles and hoists the 3. That's not an offense. That's "settling" and doesn't put any pressure on the D.

I know Billy ran lots of pick and roll offense here at UF but damn if he hasn't perfected it in the pros. Maybe he just has the perfect personnel for it now, or maybe it's what every team should be doing if they want to run a DDO offense. Seems pretty basic to me...and highly effective. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    You hope Jay Wright and Mark Few didn't express interest in UF? I can't disclose my sources, but this is something Stricklin would really have to consider. I'm also hearing Brad Stevens is getting tired of the NBA scene and also in contact. Word is Izzo is plan B but Stricklin prefers an up-and-comer.
    Bababooey gots nothing on me!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We need a sarcasm font or emojis

7. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    However, our fans expect us to compete with the Kentuckys and Dukes of the world. Top 150 isn't going to cut it against teams that recruit mostly in the top 50. With the type of players we get, we have to 1) develop them over time, 2) recruit character along with athleticism, 3) mix in a few transcendent players (hopefully Mann & Lewis next year) and 4) get lucky with some diamonds in the rough. The 04's were the perfect storm of that strategy. Hopefully lightning can strike again for us.

Lately, luck certainly has not been on our side with all the injuries to bigs. Player development has been hit or miss with some guys improving and some not. The transcendent players (Mike Miller, Brad Beal, Corey Brewer, etc) have been very few and far between, especially in the last 6-8 years. As for diamonds in the rough, I think Cheese was an example...how highly ranked was he in recruiting? Scottie Wilbekin was certainly one too. You could also argue that Joakim Noah and Taurean Green fit here.

Of all the issues, the bad luck with bigs has bitten us the most. If we can just keep some big guys healthy and give them a chance to grow in the system, I think we'll be OK.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ekfornam

ekfornam Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    ----
    I know you're joking, but MW makes more than Few and only $300K less than Jay Wright, whose won 2 of the last 3 titles. So if we were to hire those coaches, the salary would be similar to what we're paying now.

10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

But just look at the returning players:

Hudson: regressed
    Went from a borderline NBA pick to 4th man off of the bench

Stokes: no progress
    Despite a complete year to rehab, get in shape and get conditioned, we are seeing a player who simply is not ready to play in the SEC

Ballard: no progress
    We see as last year flashes of brilliance and moments of horror. Translation no improvement from last year

Okauru: regressed
    Why this guy hasn't transferred is beyond me. He is way too talented to be subjecting himself to this abuse and mistreatment. He had a great freshmen year and did not deserve to be relegated to almost no minutes this year- destroying his esteem and motivation. I see him transferring at the end of the season.

Bassett: netural
    Has shown some improvements without a doubt but his inconsistency and tendency to turn off his motor puts him in a neutral no improvement no regression mode.

Hayes: neutral
    Hayes' effort is team MVP level. His tenacity on defense for the only player taller than 6'6" who plays more than 5 minutes a game is amazing and laudable. However, he is not a finisher, he misses key free throws for a senior, and does not seem to be able to get the team to avoid the droughts that it has become legendary under MW for.

Gak: non factor
    MW knew this going into the final stages of the recruiting season. So all those saying he is stuck with the lot that he got are not being realistic. He, C. Johnson and Stokes were all major question marks as to playing time this season. The entire world knew this and yet the tallest person that we got was 6'5".

C. Johnson: non factor
    Another superb talent who in my opinion realized a long time ago that he did not fit into MW's laisse faire style offense and was relegated to persistent injury status and ultimately transfer mode. Okauru should take note.

Allen: marginal progress
    Is he the Allen from two years ago? No. Is he the Allen from last year? Thank God no. Given what we have on offense, he should be taking 50% of our shots. If he takes 24 shots a game, makes 10, and 5 of them are 3s, that's 25 points a game and perhaps another 7 in free throws. Why MW has a problem with having a high scoring player is beyond me. it took us half the season to have one player get 20 points!!!!!

Having one player average around 28 points a game is about half of what we get any way. If the other 8 only average 5 points we score 68 points a game. That would have gotten us at least 5 of the games we lost and we'd be 17 and 6.

When there is no strategy or game plan to promote wins and a least avert losses, you end up with what we have this year. Either we are witnessing a designed role that for whatever reason Florida has been relegated to in basketball, or we are witnessing a person who is not ready to coach a prime time program.

When 8 of the 9 returning players have either regressed, shown no improvement or are complete non factors, it is hard to blame the scripted excuse syndrome as to why sporting events turn out the way they do unless such results are part of the script.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    At some point the players (the guys on the floor and bench when the game starts) need to improve their shooting ON THEIR OWN and spend a lot more time with practice shooting. No scheme or amount of planning can improve that.