Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We are #270 in FG%

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Feb 3, 2019.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Yes, effective FG percentage would be a much more meaningful stat. We would be ranked higher in effective FG percentage, but would still not be very high. Everyone knows it's our defense this season that makes us a tough opponent.

Cutting out some of our poor passes and decision making late in games would be a great help. I think the trend in that area is improving despite the step back against UK - who plays pretty good defense themselves. Also, liked that Hudson seemed intent on using his ability to drive past most defenders, and glad he was finishing stronger at the rim. That could be a helpful trend down the stretch. Would love to see us eke our way into the Tourney and get our freshman players that experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think you have the passion to do them for free.

Back in the day, I would bitch and moan about a lot of golf courses & holes....being a critic can be easy, btw. I personally couldn’t believe people were being paid to produce the “garbage”....so I set out to become a g.c. architect!

But I will doodle out holes for free. Doodle football plays, for free. I’m not at that level for hoops. But I figure you’d be....no?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Bueller? .... Bueller?...

4. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    C'mon ... 8th in the SEC isn't bad! Coach White just needs time.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. bababooey

bababooey GC Legend

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    It isn't 1998 anymore, bud. This program was built into a solid 2nd tier job, obviously below UK/UNC/KU/etc, but certainly the next level down.

When/if White is fired, they will be able to find a very good coach.

If next year looks like this year (and IMO it will), he's gone.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Lot of buzz out there about Mark Few and Jay Wright's agents having already reached out to Stricklin. Word is this could happen as soon as season ends. Sure, they will deny rumors so as to not be a distraction to their teams. But I'm telling you, I have season tickets and know people.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Nah, next year it will be better. Guys on the roster will have the ability to beat the man off the dribble and create for others and score. That's what we sorely lack this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    We are 215 in effective fg percentage. So yeah, a bit higher but not good still.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Effective Field Goal % on TeamRankings.com

9. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    As Tilly wisely pointed out, semantics. Horford and Noah were, what, top 5 NBA draft picks, right? And would have been after their sophomore seasons? Its completely arbitrary, given the context of this discussion, as to whether or not they were highly ranked recruits. Coaches don't win because of recruiting rankings they win because of, primarily, how good their players are. Just so happens that these two things typically correlate - not always though.

And you're also trying to suggest 2010 UK wasn't a poor shooting team? They shot 2% worse from 3 than this year's UF team that no one seems to think is a particularly strong shooting team. Cal's a failure because he couldn't coach "that team" to the final four? What is he for taking the next year's less talented team to the final four then? For the record, UK lost to WVU and "failed" to make the final four because UK shot 4-32 from 3 in that game. It wasn't what type of shooting team they typically were but what type they were on that night. Conversely, WVU, a 34% 3 point shooting team, shot 43% that night. It happens.

Gotta wonder about the argument you're trying to make when you have to twist, so significantly and so arbitrarily, the evidence you cite to support it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

11. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    That's a pretty useless argument. He was talking about our players in the NBA, not being All Americans coming out of HS. As they finished, UK would have taken Horford or Noah!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Will they be buying a house next to Chip Kelly?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    Stoops

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    That’s the game Huggie stymied em with the 1-3-1, right?

15. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    1 flagrant

3 technicals

1 ejection

Sounds about right for Huggie. All I remember was I was super pist at UK because they were on Duke's side of Final 4 bracket and I so wanted them to pound Duke. I knew WVU would lay an egg in Final 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Exactly:(

17. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I could be wrong but I don't think that Duke team had a single NBA player on it. Could be wrong though. Either way, it wasn't even like they were chock full of dominant college players who just weren't NBA material either. They've gotta be one of the weakest title winning teams in the past decade. Credit to Coach K then I guess. That was the year Gordon Heyward wasn't very Chiozza-esque when he barely missed a heave that would have won the title for Butler.

I'm a big Calipari fan (because this has been a secret so far, really) but 2010 is one of the missed opportunities that goes along with the missed opportunity theme we've seen with Cal.

18. lawgator1

lawgator1 Freshman

Nov 13, 2018
    Really, # 270? That high?

19. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    Bunch of ham and eggers on that team. Sigler, Scheyer and Nolan Smith. I think Sigler was in the NBA. Not sure if he still is.

20. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I'm not saying you are not telling the truth about what you're reading. But I don't believe for one second that what you're reading is true

• Funny Funny x 1