Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We are #270 in FG%

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Feb 3, 2019.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

George Karl and John Calipari say hello.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. tilly

But the biggest one actually can not catch a basketball.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. tilly

If Egbunu was healthy it is possible Mike White has a National Championship and almost assuredly a Final Four on his resume.
    Funny how White knew how to coach 22 months ago, but some think he can't today.

Does he need to hit on a big man? Yes/
    With a full roster will he coach us to a boatload of dubs? You better believe it, he already has.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    That is why Calipari has to get top ten players to have any level of success. He has had one championship at Kentucky and had loaded teams every year. He’s a great recruiter, average coach at best.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tilly

Sure...but some said that about Billy. Took 4 NBA guys to get him a championship and all that.
    You also ignored the NBA version of the DD has at times been the top offense in the NBA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Brewer was the only player on that team that made the McDonald’s All American team. Horford and Noah would have never been looked at at Kentucky with their player rankings.
    DDO in the NBA is not comparable to college. Total different game and players. Not comparing apples to apples.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Calipari couldn’t make the Final Four with a team of John Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe. Heck, I think the janitor could have coached that team to the Final Four.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    All you had to do was zone them up and get hot. They couldn't shoot. Great open floor team but really had no shooters.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Bledsoe not a shooter? Lol, yeah ok.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah, ok.

Bledsoe shot 38% from 3. Not exactly lighting it up. Made just 49 3's.

For comparison:

Devin Robinson shot 39% from 3 as a junior and made 43 3's.

And before you make it seem like 49 is a lot. Stop. John Wall only made 12 fewer and shot 32%. And nobody called him a shooter.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Nobody on that UK team shot better than 40% from 3. All were in the 32-38% range. Wasn't until they got Doron Lamb and he shot 49 and 47% from 3 did things change. Lamb made 68 and 76 3's in 2 years.

That's a shooter.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    @tilly you are wise to step away. No need getting dragged down in the mud. ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Shooting 3s is a lower percentage shot and typically results in less free throw opportunities as well. The two usually go hand in hand

14. tilly

Please. He had several NBA caliber players. Who cares how they ranked in HS? My point is...it often takes mega talent to win...like Cal had and Billy had.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. tilly

Cal has led 3 programs to Final Fours...though dubiously. I hate the cheat...but he can coach. Not really trying to compare him to Billy. That is criminal...but just pointing out that loaded talent and good enough coaching can win.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    If Bassett and Payne are the "backup bigs", who do you think is our starter? Basset and Payne might be all we have next year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Payne is the starter and playing major minutes. Not that I'm totally giving up on Gak and Stokes. But at this point it wouldn't be surprising to see either or both of them move on from the program. Gak obviously depends on the health of his knees. Stokes seems to depend more on the commitment he wants to make with his fitness (and possibly could be dealing with his knee still as well... who knows).

Of course it would be great if we landed a grad transfer C who we knew was ready to play at this level, or another HS recruit with potential to help right away. But it's always an uphill battle when you are scrambling to fill spots after the season. We have had some OK luck with transfers in recent years, but bigs are even more of a premium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Some of it is depth, some is other teams ramping it up. But some of it is lack of late adjustments. Or making an adjustment that has worked exactly once in White’s tenure despite trying it about a dozen times - running the ball through KA on all possessions late. He isn’t a facilitator, can’t get his own shot and puts up the shot himself the vast majority of the time, the majority of the time contested, off balance or against a bigger man. Our offensive efficiency goes down, but we keep doing it. You notice on the one time he did succeed last week, he brought the ball up, he took a contested difficult three that was a low percentage shot. Was just the law of averages on one finally dropping. We also varied almost nothing the entire KY made their run the other night offensively or defensively, he stuck to his guns, again. That is my biggest issue with White his one dimensional unbending view on how to manage in game situations.
    I would also say in year one, if the posts are still around here, I said he needed to hire someone to help him with offensive strategy, this isn’t an issue just with this year, it’s been a recurring theme in his four years. Nothing has changed.
    Recruiting hopefully has turned the corner after the fbi leveled the playing field for him and other honest coaches but the problems go well beyond missing a big man. Everyone points to the final four run, we beat a 13 seed, a 5, an 8 and lost to a 7. We never even played a top 4 seed and went 3-1. That’s certainly not bad, but basing an entire defense of a coach on a four game stretch against only moderate opposition is a stretch. And one of those games took a miracle because we gave up an 8 point lead in the last two minutes and didn’t foul on the 3 at the end of regulation.
    We will be better next year, but my fear is that guys like Zook and Champ have taught us that often people are who they are. The ones that grow are rare. Hope he proves me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    That was in the scenario we signed a grad transfer 4 and 5. If we signed both, we can mix and match who starts based on their skill and how they work together.

It is an uphill battle, but this is where we are. Even if we just add a grad transfer 5 and then add another 4 late to the class, that's ok. Just need 2 more bodies, imo. Not counting on Gak going forward.

19. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    His offense year 2 was pretty efficient, like top 25 in efficiency. Scored over 100 in 2 SEC games. That was the year that he had all or almost all of his pieces. That was also his most talented team.

And with the talent level improving, I think fans are hoping we can return to that level of production.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

He actually had them run set plays in the first half which were successful. But being a control driven offense is not MW's style. He likes to wing it. Last year it worked because he had Koulechov and Hudson lighting it up from outside and defenses were not prepared for either one. This year Allen and Locke are shooting decently, but not as consistently as koulechov, Hudson and Stone were last year.

• Agree Agree x 1