Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

We are #270 in FG%

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Feb 3, 2019.

1. ekfornam

ekfornam Senior

Oct 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    That’s what happens when you don’t have bigs that can score and can’t coach offense. Dribble Drive Offense is what coaches do that can’t coach offense. They let their team play YMCA style basketball.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I see all the Positive Pollys are out this morning, spreading their seeds of joy.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Some choose to be realists instead of sunshine pumpers that are content with mediocrity.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    That’s actually better than what I would have guessed. How sad.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Can you draw up some plays to send to CMW? What would they be?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    I'm okay with criticizing the coach. I am okay with pointing these things out.

But the way you guys are responding makes it sound like you want Mike White gone already.

You're probably the same ones that wanted Billy D out of here after his 2nd year, and wanted Mullen gone after losing to Kentucky.

The truth is, this is who we are. We can't get a better coach than Mike White because our fans immediately will run them out of town.

We're not a traditional basketball school -- so unfortunately, we need to go through Mike White's growing pains, just like we did with Billy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    I think the lack of bigs is the biggest problem. However, is it Mike White's fault that Gak, Johnson, Egbunu, Keith Stone and Stokes (he's still no 100%) got injured? We've had crap luck with our bigs and injury. I can't blame him for that. He has a stud coming in next year -- hopefully Stokes will be more healthy. We'll be okay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. ekfornam

ekfornam Senior

Oct 10, 2017
    We're plenty talented. All five of our starters were Rivals150 members, and four of the five were top 70.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    They just aren't the best fit together. None of are starting off guards can attack and finish at the rim. Our bigs can't shoot and don't play big. Johnson is developing nicely but is a year away from being a legit threat offensively. Not sure what you do? And we can't just play fast. We've got no depth.

Ballard isn't doing anything other than settling for long 2's. Bassett offensively is average at best, slow face up and won't make a move. Okauru doesn't bring much other than an occasional spot up 3. Stokes is a below the rim big, in a league with the most athletic bigs in the country. He's got no chance this year. Hudson is searching for his game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    We're ahead of 83 teams, sweet.

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I was curious if there were any "major" programs worse in this stat, and indeed there are a couple. Here are their records.

#308 Notre Dame - 12-10 (2-7 conference)
    #309 Penn State - 7-14 (0-10 conference)
    #318 Rutgers - 11-10 (4-7 conference)

13. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Mike Brey is a very good offensive coach too. Shocked to see them that low.

14. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    We're actually pretty good from 3pt at 35.2% (equivalent of 52.8% from 2) - and since we take so many 3's (548/1224 = 44.8% of our FGs are 3s) our real shooting FG% is much higher than that. Our FTs at 68.2% is pretty bad, but overall I think our REAL problem is shooting in the "4th quarter".

Of course there's no 4th in NCAA bball but the last 10 minutes is where we really struggle. That could be a function of 1. other teams ramping up D near the end of the game 2. us running out of gas 3. having no go-to scorers 4. playing tight 5. choking

I think it's a combo...but when you have almost no one that can get easy baskets or guys that can get to the hoop repeatedly and at least get fouled (See: Silva for USC), then you're going to rely on more difficult shots - ones that may fall during the first 30 minutes are no longer falling.

Regardless, it's the last 10 minutes of the game that's killed us. We hung with #1 UT at home for 30 minutes, we were up on #7 Kentucky for 30 minutes - but in both games, like too many other games this year - we lost in the 4th quarter - badly. That's what inexperienced teams do. Or lesser teams. In the NBA this is more pronounced - the killers step it up in the 4th and take over the game.

Unfortunately we have no one that can take over a game. Taking over a game requires getting the shot you want, when you want it. Hudson would have been that guy. This year unfortunately we don't have anyone. Kevaughn has some potential, especially given his FT shooting, but he's not tall enough to consistently attack the rim (or maybe lacks that killer instinct) - so we end up relying on hoisting 3-pt shot attempts, which unless you're Steph or Klay or Kemba is not a way to win games.

Hopefully Locke or Lewis or Mann next year becomes that guy. Right now, we don't have that guy - at least not yet.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You give me $2 million a year and I guarantee that I could come up with some plays. What I find funny is people content with a basketball coach that is getting paid that amount and can’t come up with plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    If Egbunu was healthy, we still wouldn't have him this season, and let's face it, Stone was m.i.a. pre-injury as well so we can't really use his injury as an excuse for our bad offense.

And I'm hoping we bring in more than 1 big next season, it's clear that it's a major need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    This is why I don't feel bad with folks questioning the direction of the program or lack of offense. Coach White is paid very well to come up with answers to these problems. I still support him, but another season or two of this and he will definitely deserve a spot on the hot seat.

Also nothing is wrong with folks discussing negative opinions of him or his coaching, the message board wouldn't be fun if there weren't differing viewpoints.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    I think 1 true center and a true stretch 4 would be ideal. Would give us flexibility offensively and still allow us to be really athletic defensively.

• Like Like x 1
  19. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Got to have someone that can come off the bench too to give them rest.

20. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Let Bassett and Payne be the backup bigs. You wouldn't have much offense from those 2, but you could mix and match lineups from there. And they will be playing with guards and wings who can create. Would be our best frontcourt depth in years.

Then if you wanted to go small you could possibly play Johnson and Lewis together on the wings with a C and go 4 around 1 offensively.