Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) WCWS: Florida Gators vs Oklahoma State Thurs 5/30/2019 @7 pm on ESPN2

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatornana, May 30, 2019.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Apparently, according to the post-game consensus, we need bunters...or a new coach who will bunt.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    with so many pinch runner types languishing on the bench, you would think that one of them had the ability to execute a successful sacrifice. With Show not striking anyone out, small ball was certainly in order.

3. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    No we need players that can perform multiple aspects of the game. Can't have a bench full of pinch runners or pinch hitters that hit .190. Unfortunately, over the last 4 years that has how the team has been built.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. GboroGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    We had one who actually was put in the WCWS in 2017 to actually bunt in a pinch hitting role. Theresa Swertfager. That was her biggest contribution in 4 years as a Gator.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    It may well be 0-2 and out for this team but then 6 weeks ago lots of folks thought they would not get into the Tournament much less beat Bama and win the Regional and Super, are they flawed yes they do not typically score many runs but they play good defense and pitch pretty well... I'll be cheering them on Saturday

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    .200 hitters with no power should be able to execute small ball

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    Whatever happened to Lily Mann and why not go to her if he says Caraway can't bunt? Just another example of a recruit with a long line of accomplishments only to get here and be irrelevant. She was a HS all-american by everyone. And she's come through in key moments before (hit a single against OU in the 17th inning). I just don't understand the obsession with Caraway and never will.

9. GboroGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Good question. It seems since the championship teams that if you don't prove your worth in fall ball that you get placed into the "role" player spot. Your entire playing career will be as a pinch runner, pinch hitter, defensive sub, or dugout cheerleader. I know everyone can't start consistently, but getting full games every other week or in mid-week games or against some of the cupcake teams doesn't seem too much to ask at least to keep sharp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mann has 6 hits in 4 years.....I think it's safe to assume coach has seen enough to know her capabilities. Backups are always the popular solution, until they get in the game and struggle.
    I don't think there is any obsession with Caraway, she spent large portions of the season on the bench. But with Mathews in a horrid slump, Lindsey still not quite ready after knee surgery, and the remaining bench just not performing Caraway is the best option.
    It's not optimal, the lack of hitting from Hoover, Romanello, Mathews, Sipos has been the downside of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Hate to simplify it and I haven't watched as much during the season as I do in the postseason, but when you get men on base you have to get them in. Pretty terrible performance in a huge game to only get 1 run yesterday.

I will say that I watched a bunch of Okie State vs FSU and I think they are underrated, especially with Show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Show had an ERA over 4.00 against Florida in the past. Why do you think she did those obnoxious bat flips and throws against us. I personally think she was a bitch treating the coach at A&M by leaving her the way she did.

• Like Like x 2
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Picked these up today....I'm ready for our next game........

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    does anyone know which Gator softball players are on full scholarship, partial scholarship and (preferred) walk on?

Do players in the program for multiple years that are not producing regularly encouraged to transfer?

2019 Softball Roster - Florida Gators

16. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Doubt anyone is on full athletic scholarship. That is very unusual. Zero clue to the actual breakdown, but it would be dependent upon how much academic money the player qualifies for and could offset the need for softball money. A great student doesn't need as much money and provides flexibility for the coach. I believe NCAA rules mandate anyone receiving athletic money must receive a minimum 25% scholarship.....that was implemented a few years back when lots of kids were receiving 10-15% type scholarships. Of course that probably just caused a lot of those kids to get nothing rather than bump up to 25%.
    I was told Michael Byrne came to UF without any baseball scholarship money, great student and at the time considered marginal to impact the team.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Oklahoma bout to make this look easy tonight.

18. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I see she won't be tossing any bats tonight. lol

19. GboroGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    OSU and Show facing a team tonight that actually has more than 1 true consistent hitter. And a team that has had over 100 combined HRs. They got the luck of the draw in facing that special group you don't see often in OKC who truly does only have 1 bat in the lineup. We pitch and field like 5 stars, unfortunately that just keeps you in games until someone hits a ball where we can't actually catch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Oklahoma is going to knock someone's head off. They are bringing the heat to Batgirl's pitches. Those defensive players' gloves have to be smoking. lol

• Funny Funny x 1