Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Way way too freakin' early Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratefulGator, Jan 23, 2020.

1. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    This is a silly exercise, especially this time of year.
    Will we have any ships to shop the portal this year?

College basketball transfer rankings for 2020-21 and 2021-22

Is it feasible to shop for an experienced replacement for AN if he goes?
    TBH, I think AN would be best to return based on the play so far this year.
    But if he jumps, it would be good to have an experienced PG transfer to take the burden off Quez and Mann. We all know how we suffer when AN is on the bench.

2. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We also have a Tyree Appleby that is sitting out this season after transferring and he will be eligible next year. I tend to think we will be okay with them.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Appleby will be starting PG next year. If we do wade into transfer portal this spring, I pray it's a shooter.

4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Or a banger inside. I don't know if Payne will be ready to be an offensive force inside, he's better hitting the boards on a miss than running any offense through him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I think the PG next year will be Mann-Appleby with Quez coming in at times, provided AN makes the leap.
    Appleby has 2 years eligibility left?

6. LakePlacidGator

LakePlacidGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Assuming Nembhard and Lewis leave early (I am assuming this mainly because we would not have the scholarships to ponder a transfer if they do not leave early), the depth chart looks something like this:

PG: Appleby/Glover
    SG: Locke/Mann/Lane
    SF: K. Johnson/Ruzhentsev
    PF: Duruji/Bassett/Osifo
    C: Payne/Jitoboh

That's a fairly balanced roster. Mann could provide some minutes at the point if needed. Mann could also play some small forward if Ruzhentsev isn't ready or Keyontae is needed at power forward more.

With that roster, I think I would lean going best available. We need to see how the younger guys develop to finish the year (and whether Lewis/Nembhard leave early).

• Like Like x 1
  7. djohnston

djohnston VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Are Locke and Johnson coming back next year? Johnson probably can't do much more to improve his draft stock.

8. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I still prefer the pie in the sky thoughts on next year if we lose only one player. Imagine if we had this line up....
    PG: Nembhard/Appleby/Glover
    SG: Locke/Mann/Lane
    SF: K. Johnson/Lewis/Ruzhentsev
    PF: Duruji/Bassett/Osifo
    C: Payne/Jitoboh
    This would put us at 1 over so we could get to 13 if Bassett or Glover transfers.

9. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    biggest concern going forward is the PF position

Who between Johnson and Duruji would be the 4 or 3 and does it matter?

If Jitoboh develops, might we see him paired with Payne at least some of the time?

10. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Johnson is more comfortable shooting from the corner 3 since HS where Duruji been more of an inside player.
    Jitoboh would have to do a whole bunch of developing. That also assumes one of them could be a PF with some shooting range and neither have that.

11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You guys are underrating Glover.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He’ll need to make a huge sophomore leap to be a starter. He’s fine in this role, but I’m not sure how much upside he has relative to some others. That being said if he sticks around 4 years, I might think better of his prospects as a junior/senior based on experience (assuming his play gets more consistent with time).

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    While Glover's outside shooting is hurting him right now his overall percentage is pretty solid at .430. He also needs to become more consistent with his FTs and his assist to TO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    But in conference play Glover is shooting .371 in FG, with .200 for 3pts, and only .500 on FTs.
    Mann is struggling as well with .316 shooting FG, .250 for 3pts, and at .667 on FTs.
    Both sample sizes are small even though Glover has taken almost twice as many shots than Mann.

• Informative Informative x 4
  15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that he has the same upside that we saw in the Auburn and LSU point guards last season. He’s one of the fastest players in college hoops. He can windmill dunk. He can create his own shot. He can shoot from outside and score inside. He just needs to get it going. What do you see that makes you question his upside?

16. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's my biggest rub with Glover. He takes the most shots per minute played in conference games and the stats back that up. If you look it up most players on this team will average 1 shot every 3 to 5 minutes. Examples are Nembhard 69 shots in 199 minutes or Blackshear with 65 shots in 181 minutes to someone like Lewis with 33 shots in 153 minutes. Glover has taken 35 shots in only 95 minutes. If you look at the whole season he is a little better but still the player with the most shots per minute played. So why has one of the worst shooters on the team taking the most shots when he is on the floor?
    2019-20 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Florida Gators

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Glover shot 85% from the line last season in high school and 48% from 3. Mann has very good form on his outside shot and has a variety of shots when he gets inside. Both players have tons of upside.

18. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    One reason is because he gets a pile of open shots. It’s hard to pass them up when you know that you can make them. A second reason is that he is trying to do a little to much. That happens when your playing time is limited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    If he still thinks he will make those shots and is doing a little too much then he has much to learn. I respect the fact that you watched him in HS and that matters to me when I post my perceptions about futures. He could turn into another Eddie Shannon but my view for now is he needs improvement. I actually thought in the LSU game a few of his wide open shots were because LSU was ignoring him hoping he would shoot.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  20. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    IMHO, I think QG has the potential to be a tremendous baller, especially in his Junior and Senior years. Right now, he can dribble and drive like a baller. Problem is, is that he takes bad shots early in the shot clock, he has a propensity to be a walking turnover.

• Agree Agree x 2