Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Way too Early SEC East Predictions

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, May 11, 2018.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Don't want to hurt my boys and gals over at Gator Country so I'm not going to post a link to an article with predictions... they're inaccurate 99% of the time, anyways... :D

But I'm curious to see how people predict our season to go this season...

Here are my honest predictions:

1. Georgia- Talent and Coaching, easy choice, here.
    2. South Carolina- Muschamp defense + a QB and a running game, may not finish this highly, but I don't expect them to deviate much from this spot... I'd think they're a safely solid team in a weak division, yet again...
    3. Florida- It wouldn't surprise me if Florida finished second, or fourth, here... this is a low floor, high ceiling team due to lack of depth, question marks at QB, WR (due to Grimes and Jefferson eligibility), and OL (depending on health, development of younger guys, and progress in strength and conditioning)... so I put them right in the middle... Be patient guys :)
    4. Missouri- They have a QB... Now they just need a defense... which they've had in the past... They've had DL talent come out of there regularly since they joined the SEC... This is also where they finished last season and I don't expect the remaining teams to shift much...
    5. Kentucky- A lot of this goes back to coaching... and they've been safely consistent with Mark Stoops... not good, but certainly not as bad as we've seen Tennessee and Vandy can get...
    6. Tennessee- Tough with Auburn, but tougher to place them below Vandy after not winning a single conference game with the resources they have at Tennessee... This is more of a gut-feeling pick than anything...
    7. Vanderbilt- Someone has to finish last... and they play Fisher's A&M Aggies, IMO, not much safer than Tennessee's Auburn Tigers this year... Derek Mason has shown flashes but only one conference win last season... at Vanderbilt, that doesn't inspire a lot of optimism for next season.

While I'll say these are my guesses... apart from Georgia, I think the East is wide open this season... Whoever resembles even a good football team should be at least the runner-up to Georgia... As bad as the East has been, this single season, may be the worst it's been in the last decade, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    715, I think you are off regarding the quality of the SEC East in general.

Almost all coaches have better 2nd years than any other nearby year, which happened for both Smart and Muschamp last year, and most people allow their judgments to be overly influenced by such not infrequently irrelevant phenomena.

Georgia will almost surely be strong, but really, one can make a good argument for most of the teams being either very good, or very bad. At this point, every team has several to many questions, and the Gods of Fate can play a massive part in outcomes, like last year, where FSU lost it's top 2 QBs and the Gators lost 5 of 6 QBs, 1 of 3 experienced LBs and 3 of 4 experienced DBs to injury.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. noiseinthesystem

noiseinthesystem Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    hate to say it, but It's Georgia and everyone else. Even if fromm went down, fields would plug right in, dude is a player. Their backfield is loaded, defense took a hit, but they're getting like bama, they don't rebuild, they reload

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I ain't ready to give them that much credit. They definitely appear to be on another level right now, but that can crash quickly. And if fromm goes down, we stack the line and I dont believe fields beats us thru the air.

I'm an optimist though.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fields will struggle imo as a true frosh. And uga added several future stars in Tyson Campbell and diavaad Wilson among others on d.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015

The 2nd game of the season between Georgia and South Carolina will be a huge game. Dan Werner was the OC at Ole Miss when they won back to back against Bama. Werner will be the qb coach at Carolina and will help OC McClendon with the game plans.

This is the year everyone will know if Muschamp has turned the corner in being a HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    Bama gets up-set and looses the West.

We shock people and at least tie for the East.

Now I'll go back to my Sunshine,:cool: Rainbows & Lolly Pops. Oh wait, those @#$% Unicorns are back in my yard:ninja3:

• Like Like x 1
  8. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    EXTREMELY OVERRATED!!!

9. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    So what do you think about the SEC West?

10. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Going to go against the grain here and say Georgia sucks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. puntagordagator

puntagordagator Recruit

May 15, 2018
    First post after a while of lurking. I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves giving Georgia the crown. If Dan can get our qb play to even average, we have the skill players to run with anyone. Then again, I'm always optimistic this time of year. Georgia sucks

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    I predict that Tennessee will once again fail to win the state championship of Tennessee.

13. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Sophomore

Aug 12, 2007
    Cautiously optimistic about the Gamecocks. The caution lies in how last season went: off an initial 6-7 season in 2016 under Muschamp, I predicted the 2017 offense to improve substantially, while the defense to stay around the same. The team improved substantially offensively throughout the course of the 2016 season, and was led offensively by a lot of freshmen and sophomores at the skill positions. I figured with a year of games under their belts and a full off-season of preparation and development, they'd start 2017 like they finished 2016...

Instead, their offense was pretty much the same as it was in 2016, while their defense improved substantially. I guess I should have realized with Muschamp at the helm. Still, they did overall improve over 2016, going 9-4 (5-3). If anything improved offensively, it was decision making in scoring positions, and while the yardage was around the same, the scoring improved.

For 2018, they once again return most all of their key offensive skill players, minus their TE Hurst. If anything however, they've improved on their depth: before they had one "go-to" WR in Samuel - now they have two in Samuel and Edwards, and they've added another 500+ yd RB in Williams to Dowdle and Turner. And they still have Bentley at QB.

Still a lot of questions at other East programs, specifically UF and UT with new staffs, and even Missouri has a new OC and OL coach, when if anything it was offense that was working for them last season. UGA lost a ton off their defense and huge producers at the RB position, so that will be interesting to see play out. UK was a dark-horse for the East last pre-season for several prognosticators, but they ended up 7-6, and won't enter the 2018 season with that kind of emotion. Plus they are figuring out who their QB will be.

South Carolina's 2017 schedule strength wasn't that great, but if anything it looks like 2018 will be easier. They replace NC State as their season opener on a neutral field (speaking of dark-horses, NC St. was one for the ACC last season) with a 3-win Coastal Carolina at Williams-Brice. Beyond Clemson of course, the other 3 non-conf's (Marshall and FCS TN-Chattanooga) look tepid. Could be another 8-4 season, and perhaps even better......

14. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    I'm also going to predict that Jimbo's experience at Florida State will allow him to win the Fulmer Cup in only his first offseason!

15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Our two corners are more experienced and I think therefore better than those too rookies. Plus UGA lost all of their seniors and experience... they will be very young yet talented, sure, but very beatable too.