Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Washington Post Article re Clemson/Swinney

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by beemerthegator, Jul 24, 2020.

1. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/24/dabo-swinney-clemson-black-lives-matter/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-low_daboswinney-230pm:homepage/story-ans

Interesting read on Swinney, his work and success at Clemson, and how current racial justice awareness concerns are becoming a growing issue for Clemson (and college football in general). Felt a reference to it belonged in recruiting forum because recruting is a main crux of the article -- and recruiting issues would be most of our main interest in talking about Clemson (except when they play FSU, of course, then we are are Clemson fans).

Good insight in the article on how Swinney helped rebuild Clemson into a modern football power. He basically had the audacity to dream big which some of his successors lacked -- and he was able to deliver in terms of fundraising which is the hardest part. I did not know Swinney had played such a central role in the push for money and state of the art facilities it appears he was THE driving force if the article accurately portrays it. And I find it ironic because it reminds me of a former Clemson coach who left and then helped build Florida's program -- Charlie Pell. Pell did the same thing for us which Swinney has now done at Clemson and that will always be Pell's lasting legacy. (Maybe we will see in time if Swinney also runs into the troubles which plagued Pell in terms of recruiting violations).

It appears clear there are storm clouds brewing for Swinney based upon some of his stances (and lack of stances) and he and Clemson will have to navigate them carefully. Clemson will of course not be the only school that has to confront these issues, especially in the South, but Clemson and Swinney might be ground zero. You never know whether an initial groundswell will slowly fade away or instead whether this is just the beginning of these issues being at the forefront. I tend to think schools that ignore them do so at their peril.

I hope Mullen, Stricklin, and UF try to stay out front. And also hope we have already taken note on the facilities and fundraising cues (I think we have).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I don’t think the man on Dabo’s right is Jim Clements, Clemson’s President. It is Dabo’s brother who is a former law enforcement officer from Alabama who sort of acts as Dabo’s one man security detail.

Dabo will figure out how to continue to sell his dreams to recruits, their parents, administrators and alumns - until Bama comes calling when Saban leaves. Then he’ll really understand conflict.

3. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    I also get the sense Swinney will weather the storm and the Clemson program will be fine. A central point I glean from the article is the importance of religion to his program and recruiting. Regardless of what any of us think of that and whether it is genuine (and I'm sure Gator fans and all fan bases would have widely diverging opinions among themselves about it), my perception is that it plays a really important role for Swinney and has for many college coaches especially in the South. Bobby Bowden and Hugh Freeze come to mind and the article mentions Gene Stallings. When a coach sits down with a key former player working in the program (such as Spiller) or with a recruit's family and prays with them over these exact issues of race and understanding, I tend to think it mends lots of broken fences for those who find their religion important to them.

I read part of a book last night which had a quote, speaking about all kinds of adverse events that arise, which I thought was relevant: "The course of history is always throwing out sparks. Sometimes they start raging fires. Sometimes the sparks just fade away." (I'm paraphrasing but that is the gist of it). I tend to think these sparks will fade away... ...but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Brad Scott who coached under Bowden and left to be the HBC at USCe, was Clemson’s best kept secret. He was their best recruiter even when he served in a non-recruiting role. He was responsible for every freshman player from the time they signed until the end of their freshman year. It is no accident that no committed recruit (until recently) ever balked and decommitted. He made a great effort to teach them to be student athletes. He made sure they went to the required classes, kept their grades up, attended church (if that was a promise made to mama) and invested themselves in off season S&C. Brad is a dedicated Christian 24-7 so he really relates well to parents and grandparents. He just left Clemson to go to South FL to work under his son Jeff Scott so we’ll soon see if Dabo has a replacement who is half as charismatic and successful.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I have wondered why UF didn’t incorporate this in some form or fashion. Kept away from fraternity row the Zooker might be a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Frat boys beating up our OL men was a bit foreboding. While Zook brought in highly ranked classes, they lacked balance; never going to win big with holes in classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    I would take 8 years of Ron Zook over over the two frauds that ran this program into ground between 2011-2017.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    When Zook was fired, there were a lot of boosters who felt he should have been given more time. Recruiting was going well and he had just beaten fsu at their place. Not saying it was the wrong decision, we all know Urban won 2 but Zook did not leave Urbs without talent for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He was fired before the FSU game, always wonder if they had waited until after that game if that might have altered things. Of course the team played very emotionally that night and it might have helped them get over the hump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    It couldn't have been that bad though with Meyer winning it all in just his second year.

11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    It seemed like forever before he actually left from the point that he was fired because they let him coach the fsu game. I remember that being very awkward in interviews he did during that period. Almost felt bad for him because he was a decent guy, just a very average coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    We had to rely on Ryan Smith from Utah and a converted WR in Reggie Lewis in order to field a secondary. Joe Cohen was a former running back turned DT who filled in admirably. Jarvis moss was on his way out of football because of a missed diagnosis of a bone infection and he credits his return to Meyer and staff. We were also extremely thin at lb.

Our injury luck was absolutely remarkable that year and it had to be. Almost as incredible as how bad our luck has been from cam Newton on really.

Zook was a great recruiter but poor manager all the way around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    One reason we had to rely on Smith and Lewis is because Avery Atkins got kicked off the team. Meyer got the most out of what he had, no question. Derrick Harvey was considering transferring from what I recall. Billy Latsko was bounced back and forth until he found a home. Dallas Baker was a 6th year senior.

That 2006 team was my favorite team by far because of the collection of pieces of the puzzle that had to be assembled correctly to win anything.

• Like Like x 1