Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Washing Machine advice

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by GatorToTheEnd, Jul 13, 2019.

1. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    So, being the kind of guy who likes to run everything he owns into the ground before buying something new, I am facing my first washing machine purchase in roughly 18 years. In the interim it appears everything I thought I knew about the devices has been thrown out the window, so I was wondering if I could get yall's thoughts and experiences w/ impeller washers .

I will say up front I am not that interested in a front loader. I've had too many people who have had issues w/ the inner gasket & leaks, plus I'm a pretty tall guy for that much bending.

My preference, being an old school guy, would be an old school agitator but now it seems all those options are now paradoxically only extremely low or extremely high end.

So bottom line - I'd like to get anybody's direct experience with impeller washers as from what I've seen online the reviews seem very mixed.

Thanks in advance.

2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Get stainless steel interior, not plastic.

Get one w/ steamer option.

Electrolux and Whirlpool are good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    We bought an LG top loader about 10 years ago to replace a front loader with a cracked drum. It also had a problem with mildew / mold on the gasket and needed to be cleaned often to keep that problem under control. Keeping the door open when the machine was not in use helped but did not eliminate the problem. When the drum developed a crack - out it went.

The top loader has a tendency to have unbalanced loads and needs to be monitored to assure it doesn't stop midwash, but an easy readjustment of the load generally takes care of it.

4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Stay clear of Craig's List. Don't ask me how I know. ;):oops:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I use one of these and a couple of 5 gallon buckets

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Tough crowd...

7. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    truth: I got a cheap Maytag Centennial washer dryer set at Lowes about 5 yrs ago, not a single problem so far. XL capacity for bed comforters & fewer laundry loads.

fun fact: Kate Upton's great grandfather invented the laundry washing machine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    not so fun fact...Kate Upton's flotation devices look to have shrunk

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Bought a Whirlpool a four or five years ago, the electronics failed and was too expensive to fix. We bought a Speed Queen commercial top-loader. A little pricey but made in USA, has a 5 yr warranty, and all manual settings. I get tired of replacing appliances after a few years because electronic or circuit board failure. Stainless drum is a must.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AlfaGator

AlfaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    I always buy washers with the least amount of complications possible. The fewest buttons and the least useless cycles. I want the controls to be analogue and simple. I avoid digital controls.

They all clean well. The soap these days sees to that.

I try to always buy appliances from Costco. They double the warranty and will not let you down.

• Like Like x 1
  11. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Legend

Sep 16, 2018
    If you can find one that is direct drive rather than belt drive, it will last much, much longer. I have never purchased a washer or dryer, we were given a set when my grandparents upgraded 10 years ago. They were 15 years old then. Both machines are direct drive and have had no issues

12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Make sure that you get one with the squirrel-drive drum. :D

13. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    You can get a good top load agitator GE at Lowe's. I've always used GE and have had very few problems.

14. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Got a Whirlpool model WTW5000. Its not bad. The main problem I have is that there isnt any place to put detergent. Your supposed to pour the liquid on the bottom and wait 5 minutes for the liquid to go into the machine through the holes. The other big problem is that you cant just place the clothes in the washer. You have to put them on the outside in a circular pattern, leaving a hole in up from the bottom middle.