Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Was Florida Too Reliant On The Pick And Roll?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Efawcett7, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. grovegator83

grovegator83 Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    Really interesting read. Looking back on the season I have wondered if what we needed was someone to just say "same set three times in a row coach"..and we run something else. Really felt some of the bog downs on offense happened running AN/Blackshear pick and rolls multiple times in a row.

3. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    Great article. My frustration was the Blackshear pick but no roll, then we shoot a 3 with nobody under the basket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It didn't FEEL like we ran that much pick n roll. But maybe that's because we weren't good at it? We spent so much time standing around and not really doing much of anything (especially in the earlier part of the season).

That was a staple of BD's offense in most years, and if you've got a guard who can get downhill and penetrate, wings who can shoot, and a capable big (bonus if you have a knockdown stretch 4), it can almost be unstoppable if you get good spacing and are running it right. I remember one of our championship seasons, I almost felt bad for Rondo he was getting abused so bad by Horford and Noah on those picks, and his teammates must not have been helping him, remember him getting knocked to the floor a few times because he didn't even see it coming.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Blackshear was OK at shooting the three and not bad posting up, but he wasn't that great at being what was essentially a stretch 4. Him as a pick and roll from the elbow or higher did not use him to the best of his skills. While he could shoot the three I didn't think that he was very effective as a pick and pop shooter, but much better either in transition with a clean look or getting a clean look from an inside out pass.

One on one in a post up he was really good. Nice footwork and almost always delivered.

6. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Great info as always, Eric. Thanks!

I know KenPom adjusts efficiency for strength of opponents, but I'd be interested in how we compare to some more of the SEC teams and other big conferences. I guess Creighton may face similar competition in the Big East, but Gonzaga is rarely challenged in their conference and I'm not sure how tough Dayton's schedule is either.

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yeah, Blackshear was merely an "ok" shooter. Not a true stretch 4.

I expected him to be more athletic. He has some good fundamentals, and was excellent and drawing fouls. A big that can draw fouls and hit his FT's at a high % is always a good thing. But it was also frustrating as it felt like he should have finished more of those "and 1" opportunities than he did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Easier said than done, but if the offense was designed to get Blackshear the ball at a high post that was set anywhere from the foul line to inside the top of the key, he could have been tremendous. The combination of his passing skills, the accuracy of his intermediate shot and his driving ability would have paid huge benefits.

9. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    Think they were too reliant on Whites offensive plan.

10. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    BYU and St.Mary's say hi. lol

11. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    If the ball handler had seen the guy on the roll more often we may have won a game or two more.