Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
  2. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    No one is disputing Russia invaded a sovereign nation and will over throw the government. Nor did I say it was defensible in the eyes of the free world. Whether we think it is defensible or not is not the issue. Putin sees it as defensible and that is all that matters at the moment. As the pages of history are written out some will look back on this and wonder why the world sat idle while all of this played out. Why the warnings weren't heeded by Putin to start with should be examined as well.

The truth of the matter is this is not the first time in recent history that governments have been over thrown from within or by invading forces. Keep in mind the world sat idle as those instances played out as well. What is new to this is the US has a specific interest in the Ukraine while others not so much. And we complained about those other instances and threw our weight behind some of them with support for a government we much would have preferred. We also lost in some of those cases and walked away.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  3. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
  4. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. reboundgtr

reboundgtr VIP Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Jawja
    The difference between him and his book are night and day. An unabashed opportunist. At least he’s not like Green here in Georgia. JD at least has an education. I moved here last year and listened to and read her drivel…I went from Mace to this ding dong.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Those are excellent points, but we did not and should not have acted preemptively in my opinion. Moreover, Putin has been planning this for years, so sanctions are bound to fail, at least in the short run, which is all that matters to Ukraine. What else could we have done short of sending in troops, for which nine of us has any appetite?

7. reboundgtr

reboundgtr VIP Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Jawja
    Wrong.

8. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Love the phrase ding dong!

9. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    You and I agree on that point and that is why Ukraine stands alone in this war. Sorry but the foregone conclusion is Ukraine will be under Russian control.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I'm afraid you're right, but I don't think in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  11. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’m looking forward to the US response of annexing Cuba. Could be a good vacation spot. Build it into a Caribbean Las Vegas? All three major powers expands. Awesome.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    Well that remains to be determined. No matter what sanctions etc... are thrown at Russia and Putin he is not going to withdraw from Ukraine peacefully. People should come to that understanding now.

13. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    If you have ever wanted to know what the Ukraine military is eating right now here you go

By the way if you have never watched one of his videos this can be a rabbit hole

• Like Like x 1
  14. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It’s Ukraines fault that Russia was able to move in so quickly. They should have done like the US and required a negative Covid test to come into the country

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Anonymous posted a tweet saying they hacked the Russian Ministry of Defense with a link to what purported to be a copy of the Russian MOD’s personnel database.

Twitter has already deleted it for violating their rules.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Hopefully they put it elsewhere. And hopefully hackers continue/ramp up what could be considered cyberspace's version of guerrilla warfare.

17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Many folks supported Trump because they hated politicians - and he was the alternative. Someone who came from the private sector with a background in entertainment and real estate.

It's not the first time we had a non-politician candidate.

Throw in that his opponent was a Clinton who brought with her a legacy of all kinds of questionable behaviour......which emanated 100% from a political basis and a Trump presidency isn't all that hard to understand.

I don't want to get into a debate over this in this thread which is about the Ukraine invasion - but wanted to provide my perspective on your comments.

18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    SIAP......

U.S. Officials Repeatedly Urged China to Help Avert War in Ukraine

WASHINGTON — Over three months, senior Biden administration officials held half a dozen urgent meetings with top Chinese officials in which the Americans presented intelligence showing Russia’s troop buildup around Ukraine and beseeched the Chinese to tell Russia not to invade, according to U.S. officials.

Each time, the Chinese officials, including the foreign minister and the ambassador to the United States, rebuffed the Americans, saying they did not think an invasion was in the works. After one diplomatic exchange in December, U.S. officials got intelligence showing Beijing had shared the information with Moscow, telling the Russians that the United States was trying to sow discord — and that China would not try to impede Russian plans and actions, the officials said.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don’t want to debate it either. I understood why he was elected. I don’t understand the continued support, which was my main point, and which you did not address. But that’s fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    NATO, understandably is sacrificing the Eastern most democratic state and capital Kiev.

Strategic move, it's understood that Putin wants to reestablish the former Soviet Union's furthest Westward expansion of the second WW.

Half of Poland, The Baltic States and the Balkans.

The question is, will the POS little Napoleon thrust the world into world war, and use tactical nukes or go full madman and destroy human civilization by hitting everything.

Guess global warming is a minor concern now.

Better sharpen up our stone flaking skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1