Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Vultures Are Circling the Ukraine Crisis

Dont worry Mike, our natural gas stocks are up, we are sticking it to Putin!

2. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    Did you read my previous post concerning the arming of Ukraine prior to all of this? Did you read if I recall @GatorBen post concerning Ukraine requests to join NATO. I know this is becoming a long thread but rehashing previous information doesn't help matters.

We know what they are doing one just needs to open their eyes. We also knew in advance what they were concerned about. Paranoia speaks volumes and should be heeded. The Cuban missile crisis was a prime example. Cooler heads prevailed and diplomatic solutions arose out of it but make no mistake, paranoia on the part on the part of the US was a driving factor. We couldn't have gotten much closer to a war with Russia during that time period.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Libya was more like Iran than NK or Ukraine. It didn't have nukes but was on it's way to developing them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    many

5. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    People of Ukraine will be armed to the teeth.

• Like Like x 2
  6. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    this is actually a great time for hacktivists...hide under the veil of state sanctioned cyber warfare

• Like Like x 1
  7. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Individual sanctions now. Good. Hope it hurts although he had to see this coming and may have prepared for it

U.S. to impose sanctions on Vladimir Putin and top aide, White House says — CNBC

U.S. to impose sanctions on Vladimir Putin and top aide, White House says

The United States will impose individual sanctions on Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, following similar sanctions announced Friday by the United Kingdom and the European Union.

Putin and Lavrov are the highest ranking officials to be sanctioned by the United States in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

It's unclear how much individual sanctions against Putin will accomplish, however. Putin publicly claims his salary of about $140,000 is his only source of income.

• Like Like x 3
  8. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Hell of a honeymoon. I really hope they make it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    not exactly releasing information out of the kremlin in real time. And just because the president says something doesnt make it declassified.

10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The real question here is how hard do they search for his money. His money is buried in a bunch of accounts all over the world that belong to financial entities controlled by his allies and personal friends. Our intelligence services know at least some of this (Putin viewed the release of the Panama Papers as a direct attack on him by US intelligence). If we decide to really hunt down his money, things could get very interesting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    That's the couple from the wedding I posted

• Like Like x 1
  12. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    Taiwan Enjoys Free Sneak Peek At What Will Happen To Them In Just A Few Weeks

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The Cuban middle crisis is something I also gave some thought to, but ultimately dismissed. That was in the middle of the Cold War. It has some relevance, but not enough to make your comparison.

i appreciate and value open-mindedness, but when all is said and done, Russia invaded a sovereign nation to overthrow a democratically elected government. That’s just not defensible, it seems to me, and until these times, no American would suggest otherwise. Frankly, as a former service member in the 60’s, I’m shocked by it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. boligator

boligator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    2 more dislikes...still no answer...the silence is deafening...but expected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
  18. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    From CNN live update:

"
    92 Chernobyl power plant employees held hostage by Russian forces, Ukrainian Ambassador to the US says

From CNN's Ellie Kaufman

Ninety-two members of the Chernobyl power plant operational personnel are being held hostage by Russian forces, Ukrainian ambassador to the US Oksana Markarova said during a press conference in Washington, DC, on Friday.

Because the power plant personnel are being held hostage, they are not able to work in shifts and follow the strict regulations that the power plant requires, she said.

The responsibility of the power plant now “relies on Russian forces and Russian army,” Markarova said. Ukraine is reaching out to all nuclear regulators and other countries to alert them to the situation at Chernobyl, she added.

“In defending these plants, we are trying to be very responsible and careful so there is no damage to it. We can’t say the same about the Russian federation, so that’s why we are warning and that’s why we’re reaching out to everyone,” Markarova said. "

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    So, wait...restrictions on commodities financing isn't a problem? I get he's squarely on Putin's side, but this won't be a problem? And even if it's small (which I have no idea) Putin can't be happy about it.

Unless they're doing it to play both sides...still it's unexpected and shocking to see anything remotely resembling a consequence from China against Russia.

20. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Everyone here knows how much I loath - yes, loath - Trump, but I honestly can't say his policies were totally off the rails. I agree, for example, we had to confront China's trade policies, but he went about it the wrong way. I agree we needed immigration reform, but, being motivated by racial animus, it was a disaster. He is an absolutely despicable human being, and how anyone can support him as POTUS is quite simply beyond my comprehension. Character, integrity, kindness and all the other attributes we admire, learn about in our places of worship and teach our kids matter in a President far more than his policies, about which reasonable people can differ. That's the essence of my loathing of Trump. He has none of them!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1