Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    They explained it in the article.

"Last month, the US Treasury had let a key sanctions exemption expire. Ending the carve-out meant US investors would no longer be allowed to receive payments from Russia.
    Importantly, it's not as if Russia does not have the funds to pay — a default would be triggered primarily due to sanctions, rather than a lack of cash or willingness."

At this point, it'll probably affect American bondholders more than Russia. Rates go up for nations that default due to the higher risks associated with lending to nations that default. That risk should already priced in for future would-be lenders due to the sanctions, so whether they actually default or not should not affect their rates any further than what the sanctions have already done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    lot of ifs in there, reads like a scare piece to give into Putin. Tired of reading these BS reasons as to why we should let Putin have his way. I'm sure allowing Hitler to cook children was somehow justified too. Letting Putin and Russia off the hook after all the war crimes and naked acts of aggression to mollify some pantywaist who had to sacrifice a little is inexcusable

If we have a very, very cold winter, if we’re careless and far too generous with gas,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    So what's your excuse for not even expressing your outrage in the Ethiopia thread?

• Like Like x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You don't say?

...meanwhile when our embassu in Benghazi was attacked, the Dems downplayed its significance in order to run cover for Barry and the Shill.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 2
  5. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    That's code for we will be rationing gas.

6. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    Ukraine war: 80% of troops killed or injured in elite military unit, says commander - and its future is unclear
    Speaking near the frontline, south of the city of Severodonetsk, company commander Oleksandr said a core of experienced soldiers who had been fighting together since 2018 have been lost.

"My unit was 100% made up of professional soldiers who have a lot of experience. Now, 80% are incapacitated from serious injuries or death," he says.

In comments which will alarm those backing Ukraine in its four-month long war with Russia, he says he does not know how long his unit can sustain such losses.

"I don't even know how to answer this question," Oleksandr says.

"It's hard. It's hard but we have no choice."

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Reports on tv this morning that there were missile strikes in Kiev that coincided with the G-7 meeting.

8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree that what happened at Benghazi was wrong. I never said otherwise. Btw, not a dem
    I'm one of those millions of Americans caught between the despicable extremes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Interesting article.

Very discouraging to hear on the losses. Surprised the Ukrainian army stayed so long without retreating against “colossal” amounts of Russian artillery bombardment. Maybe Ukraine didn’t want to give up any ground. But isn’t that war? Live to fight another day? But I surely don’t know the strategies involved.

Another item from the article. Women are key players in the Ukrainian army…

“A volunteer combat medic since 2015, Iryna Tsybuh says she has never been more tired than she is now.

Iryna is the leader of the medical crew of Ukraine's 5th Hospitalier Brigade.

From their base near the Donbas frontline she prefers to speak out of earshot of the other medics.”

10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My friend in Odessa tells me that air raid sirens have been nearly nonstop in his city. he said two Russian missiles were shot down in Odessa today.

• Like Like x 1
  11. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    Members in the military follow the chain of command. It is ingrained in the culture. Several other traits such as loyalty to your comrades in arms, team cohesion and no one left behind are also ingrained and deep seeded in the military. It is not unusual that units will fight to the last one standing until orders from on high come down to retreat. Where strategic fault lies is in the upper echelons of the military and not the commander on the field.

As to medical support not all units have medics. Each person is trained in life saving measures that allows for evacuation of the wounded. When the wounded are evacuated they are sent to nearest medical facility which may or may not be able to handle certain medical conditions. The medical unit is charged with employing life saving measures that are much more comprehensive that those on the battlefield. From there those with severest of injuries are transported to medical facilities that specialize in support. It is not uncommon to have civilians perform these duties. Think of organizations such as the Red Cross.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    There might be another element to the degree to which Ukrainians are willing to stand and fight versus trading space for time (which is the strategy I would advocate). Word has gotten back to the Ukrainians — some of it verified, some of it rumor, some perhaps pure fiction — of the fate that has befallen those who have fallen into the hands of the Russians. The smell of blood carries a long way, and when you line up and massacre civilians, thinking dead men tell no tales, you always forget about the one hiding who brings back the word. In the Ukrainian mind, maybe they feel that every inch of ground is sacred, and they won’t see it again once it’s in Russian hands. And they can’t realistically evacuate the entire country of civilians, can they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I wonder how involved US is helping Ukraine with planning. we surely give them spot info like coordinates for the Russian hq they recently bombed with HiMARs. But Ukraine’s overall mission plan or whatever. If not, they should get it. I doubt there is anyone close to us in combining data/info with comprehensive analysis to develop wartime strategy.

14. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    We are giving them info. What we are not doing is acting on the info ourselves. What Ukraine does with that info is their own decision. Along with that info I'm sure caveats come with it. You can do this but you cannot do that as it implicates the U.S. is doing more than supplying arms and could be taken as an action that the US is fighting this war for you. Do not paint the U.S. into a corner otherwise all aid stops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Good.

Fundamentally I am not sure it changes anything. It truly is symbolic at this point. They were already cut off from the global financial system (which is indeed the mechanical impetus for this default). Russia was also already a highly dubious place to invest, due to their gangster-state lack of rule of law. But where there was some foreign investment looking past those issues, now there is effectively none. It is more of a long term issue for the Russian economy, but nutjobs like Putin don’t care.

16. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    The Goat of Kyiv

As the horrors of war continue to unfold upon the people of Ukraine, an unassuming goat is being celebrated after its chaotic movements triggered a boobytrap, dealing grievous injuries to at least 40 Russian soldiers

Meet the ‘Goat of Kyiv’, Ukraine’s newest war hero

• Like Like x 4
  17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As far as heroic animals are concerned although its act was unintentional that goat is among the greatest of all time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    Never thought I'd laugh out loud on this thread but there it is. Funniest meme post on this site in ages. Kudos to you fine person for this. I NEEDED this today.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1