Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Well, we knew this, right ?

2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    wonder what the first missions for the f-16's will be and how it will be reflected in battlefield results

Russia Warns Ukraine's F-16s Will Be Treated as Nuclear Threats (msn.com)

The Russian government is warning Ukraine that Kyiv's new fleet of F-16 fighter jets will be treated as a "nuclear-capable" threat.

Ukraine's military said last week that it would begin operating the U.S.-made jets as soon as Monday. Ukrainian Air Force spokesperson Ilya Yevlash said that the planes would be ready for battle after Orthodox Easter, which was Sunday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Technically a lot of the things Ukraine is using against the Russians could deliver nuclear ordnance too. Is pootie pie really going to destroy the world because the Ukrainian Air Force uses a few f-16's to defend itself? These are the same chest beaters who are constantly threatening to vaporize the UK, Western Europe, or the US. eff em.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More ignorance from the propaganda peddler. Having someone shooting from windows in an apartment building is a good reason to attack that apartment with snipers, or possibly artillery or smaller missiles from close range, but not to blow up the entire building with large missiles from hundreds of miles away. And that's what Russia has been doing. A window shooter has limited range. The people within range need to be the ones to shoot back, or at least use laser targeting to guide a small missile to the target. This is how fighting in a city is supposed to be conducted, to minimize civilian casualties. What Russia is doing is closer to genocide. I suppose you admire that aspect of Russia's invasion.

You don't know much, do ya?

5. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    One corrupt country in Africa. Russia will get the boot when the bribes stop.
    Big deal. Wake me up when China and Iran send troops to fight in Ukraine. When the U.S. went to war in Iraq and Afghanistan, Britain was one of the first countries on board, sending troops in. That is an alliance worth bragging about. None of these countries trusts the other two; they just happen to hate the same countries and have a similar type of dictatorship for their government. A little bit of a poor basis for an alliance.
    Let us know when they figure out which currency to use.
    Or the weakest it's been since Afghanistan handed their asses to them.
    As inflation approaches 8% in Russia? I don't think so. Overheating and ready to go up in flames is more like it.
    As opposed to you, who lies about pretty much everything?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Russia has finally found something to do with all of the prison cells that were emptied to send killers and rapists to the front lines in Ukraine. Russia is filling their prison cells with Ukrainian citizens captured in occupied territories. They plan on using them as bargaining chips. Another day; another Geneva Convention violation. It's a shame we will probably never see Putin hang for his crimes against humanity.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/05/euro...-detained-russian-prisons-intl-cmd/index.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    It's an international war crime to intersperse your military in civilian housing. And no, two wrongs don't make a right. It's a war crime.

8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Time to brag about North Korean missiles that Russia has been relying on. They only fly off-course 50% of the time and explode in the air. Now that's quality.

About half of the North Korean missiles Russia fired at Ukraine flew off course and exploded in the air, official says

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    That's how warfare happens in cities. Just a fact of life. No soldier is going to stand in the middle of the street to fight an army and not take cover. I think it is a war crime to put on civilian clothing and fight, but I have not heard that apartments are off limits to a military defending a city.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Word is that Ukraine might be guilty of committing war crimes. There are scattered reports of Ukrainian soldiers baiting fields in the occupied territories with Adidas tracksuits.

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    So your understanding is that a soldier wearing a civilian hoodie and fighting in the streets is a war crime, but a soldier firing a a machine gun from an 80 year old Ukrainian woman’s apartment window is not a war crime? I think you need to brush up and understand that you’re supporting a lot of war crime atrocities in Ukraine. Cluster munitions and using civilian housing as a shield to hide behind are war crimes.

12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Not sure what the alternative is when defending territory, taking a vantage point position like that isn’t the same as using “human shields” or a soldier not being in uniform or wearing a false flag. Although they should strive to evacuate civilians, not all civilians are going to leave, and in that case I think it’s more “reality of urban warfare” than war crime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    2+ years of abject silliness from you. The civilians are likely long gone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    In UAE you can get a discount if you say “Russia.” It’s clear if said in snarling tone will work …

15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Russians panicking and in full retreat …

16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Does not change the fact that it's a war crime. The conventions don't say "if you're unsure of an alternative, you can take over civilian dwellings with your machine guns and grenades and whatever happens happens." JFC..

17. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    These facts remain, despite any hundreds of billions of dollars in aid to Ukraine:

1. current territory occupied by Russia in Ukraine has a mostly ethnic Russian population, who are sympathetic to Russia.
    2. these same occupied territories are almost exclusively Russian language speaking by the population. Ukraine tried to ban it from schools there.
    3. Russian military is dug in like it's WW1 and have such an extensive trench network and minefield barrier that no matter how much weaponry we send Ukraine, their soldiers are not going to penetrate those barriers. Russians have been digging in for 2+ years in these regions.
    4. The results of the last aid package yielded no positive results for Ukraine. Russian made small gains.
    5. Russian economy has not cratered as was hoped and their military production capability has ramped up seven fold since the beginning of the war.

In other words, this is a war we won't win by proxy. 0% chance. It would require American boots, NATO boots to win. Biden has already ruled that out. And Trump will too.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for some folks in the thread to acknowledge each of these indisputable facts. Points #1 and #2 are not unimportant, because look at Vietnam if you want to understand how difficult it is to control a territory of people WHO DON'T WANT YOU THERE. And now you add 2+ years of bloody conflict on top of it and THEY REALLY DON'T WANT YOU THERE. The ethnic Russian population which dominate those areas are never going to accept reunification with Ukraine. I'm not sure how or why ones who spend the time to post in this thread multiple times during the week for 2+ years don't understand these core, indisputable concepts. This isn't Russian propaganda. These are facts.

18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well, I’m not a renowned human rights lawyer such as yourself. But I’ll go out on a limb and guess that if a professional military are defending territory and made good faith efforts to warn or evacuate civilians, they can proceed to use the buildings for cover or as strategic points without fear of being taken to The Hague. There is no requirement for them to simply expose themselves out in the open. It’s not the same as using civilians as shields or hostages, or an invading military just going ahead and slaughtering civilians themselves (also known as genocide, which no doubt the Russians are doing).

What you are asserting as a requirement (source?), is an impossibility. To engage in urban warfare without touching or utilizing any of the buildings.

In either case, if you are interested in saving civilian lives or who is responsible for “war crimes”, this conflict is incredibly easy to analyze. The Ruskies need to cease their aggressions and get back to their side of the border. That’s it.

19. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Legend

Feb 4, 2024
    I'll take the last sentence as a compliment I don't deserve. duggers_dad is a better writer than me, funnier, more concise. What's similar about us is we believe in facts, not narratives. We don't engage in "motivated reasoning." Both of us think US foreign policy is horrible and should be mocked

Last edited: May 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Amnesty International have been very vocal about this all along. They are not making "good faith efforts to warn or evacuate civilians" or else civilians wouldn't be perishing. If they are getting civilians out of dodge and turning their homes into fortresses, well then, we shouldn't be surprised when Russia lights them up. (regardless of which side you support)

As I've already said, the Geneva conventions don't make a distinction between the aggressor and/or aggrieved nations. The laws governing war crimes generally apply to both sides. As with almost all wars, it's assumed there are provocations from both sides that led to said war.