Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

War in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jan 21, 2022.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    In what way are they not "irrational and psycho"? Do you think NATO was planning to invade Russia if Ukraine joined?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    It sounds like justifying Putin’s actions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    I agree, but sometimes you make decisions based on the results of the decision. It doesn't excuse Putin, but there is a principle: blessed are the peacemakers. Peacemaking is part of doing geopolitics well. Geopolitics is balancing competing foreign interests to keep the peace.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Is it too left leaning for you?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    lol it’s totally irrational. Russia has the world’s largest nuclear arsenal and Putin knows with complete certainty NATO will never attempt a conventional attack.

But even taking nukes out of the equation, all conquering Ukraine does is put NATO right on the new border. And it almost certainly pushes Finland into the alliance, which means NATO territory is now going to be a stones throw from St Petersburg.

If Putin we rational he would have deesclated, withdrawn from Crimea, attempted to modernize, and given CIS countries a reason to love him instead of fearing his stated desire to reform the USSR.

But speaking of rationality, it’s obvious that you are carrying Putins water because you think it will be politically beneficial. Much like Putins bs pretexts, yours are completely transparent.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dallasgator

dallasgator Freshman

Feb 27, 2022
    This argument may have been applicable a few months ago before Putin began massing troops at the border, but that ship has sailed. Once the bombs began falling and troops crossed the border, it'd been born out that Putin bit off more than he can chew. Crimea, Lugansk and Donetsk were easy for Putin. Particularly Crimea, you saw no resistance at all. If you had put unification with Russia on the ballot in Crimea in 2014, Crimea would have chosen Russia. Crimea is 90% ethnic Russian and Russian speaking. Similar is true in Donetsk and Lugansk. Those were rational moves on Putin's part, because the effected regions had populations that were enamored with Russia and spoke Russian primarily. The same is not true about the rest of Ukraine, however. The further west you go, the less Russian is spoken and it's mostly ethnic Ukrainian. To the people, that's when it became clear Putin was a madman. If you're NATO or the UN, you now know unequivocally Putin has to be stopped.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Neville Chamberlin thought like you. All for the sake of peace. What does Koheles teach you?

• Winner Winner x 4
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC

Hope this is true and that it spreads

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Interesting points, and the perspective, appreciated, but TBL there's no prohibition against Ukraine and even every single former country of the USSR from allying and forming a federation, an alliance, even a nation.

Putin wants to invade (and has obviously).

So what we're talking about, is Russia's right to invade other countries, and the alliance that formed to prevent Russia from spreading its COMMUNISM, from getting involved militarily.

Note: the commies are the assholes who deny God, and kill believers.

That's just not a right anyone needs to defend. Russia can earn every square inch of turf it seeks to expand to, if it can.

But may they shed a gallon of blood for every thimble's worth of bloodshed they cause, in the process.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    I think Putin has blood on his hands and should hang from the gallows. I'm not providing moral justification for his actions. I am critiquing Biden's and NATO's handling of the situation. I think they handled a delicate situation the wrong way.

We can escalate the rhetoric here, and I could say you are just saying what you are saying because I'm questioning your dear leader. I don't think that is productive, but Biden's foreign policy decisions are not untouchable and beyond questioning. It reminds me of the fans who will call you a nole or a dawg if you ever said anything negative about Muschamp, McElwain, or Mullen. You can critique your own team without being a fan of the other team. In the same way critiquing Biden's foreign policy decisions surrounding this incident is not siding with Putin. That is "trust the coaches" rhetoric applied to the political realm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    An uplifting bit of Ukrainian propaganda. Hope those to whom it is intended will see it somehow. Ukraine says FAFO

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So the world's largest country needs more territory, 10-4. How dare anyone object to that.:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I liked him. Good find. Thanks.

14. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I also think both Trump and Putin underestimated Ukraine and Zelensky, and maybe, Putin was trying to help Trump politically by invading, as Trump is defending Putin.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was thinking the same thing. Trump is already trying to use the invasion as a campaign issue, and Putin knows that if he helps Trump win, Bidens sanctions will be quickly lifted,

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    biden?! Who said anything about Biden. You’ve been defending Putin and I showed that. Just curious, is your defense of Putin because trump praises him?

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Biden sucks out loud. Useless.

In this instance, his worthlessness proving benign.

His telegraphong weakness baited the toothless bear into blowing its wad and showing the world hes shooting blanks...

I'm good with that.

Putin is the last echo of Stalin's horrific legacy. It can't possibly fade into silence too soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I think trying to look at a major geopolitical issue that predates Trump in the first place through the lens of a U.S. political sideshow is a mistake.

I can unequivocally say that Russia isn’t invading Ukraine because they think it might help Donald Trump. And for all the “Trump will just lift the sanctions” talk, bear in mind that in actuality Trump got in a pissing match with Congress over who could be tougher on Russia that resulted in more sanctions on Russia being imposed under Trump than at any point in history up until the past two days (including some - like those aimed at blocking Nord Stream 2 from ever opening - that Biden lifted).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    How desensitized are we that we are happy people died in this video. I’m ashamed of my own reaction.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    The deference Trump showed to Putin was historical. Never had I imagined a POTUS agreeing with Putin over our own national security intelligence. On the world stage. Trump never read or understood policy or history. Everything was a transaction to him, including NATO and our allies, and Ukraine. What had they done for him. He is exceptional at getting people to do things that were against all of their training and better instincts, i.e Barr, Pompeo, Guiliani, the list goes on, and they all have suffered as a result. I don't who was leading who in the relationship between Trump and Putin, but America was not first.

• Agree Agree x 4