Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. We are transitioning to serving all web pages over SSL (from http to https) for a more secure experience. You may need to log out and back in if you have issues. Thanks for your patience : ) P.S. TapaTalk app users may need to log out, force reload of the app, and log back in for new settings to kick in.

Walmart to raise its starting wage to $11, give some employees bonuses following tax bill passage

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jan 11, 2018.

1. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    Every silver cloud has a dark lining when you're afflicted with TDS. Sad!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Closing 3 Sam's clubs here in the Seattle area, so much for your theory.

There's at least a partial list of the stores they're closing here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

3. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013

4. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Many of the Sams stores are being converted to distribution centers, seems online sales are booming....imagine that.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Yep people in Seattle are ahead of the curve with online shopping. 33 of the 60 closings are in the north east. I think I am dead on.

6. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    My theory is dead on right. More than half are in the northeast. 15 percent are being converted to online distribution centers. I would bet that atleast one of the seattle stores is being converted to a distribution center.

They also announced that they had overbuilt some in anticipation of population growth that didnt occur. I really think these moves are a positive. By doing this Walmart will not be following Sears and Kmart it to the retail dumpster fire as soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I can never remember if wal Mart is good or bad.
    It seems there have been several threads about how Wal-Mart kills the mom and pop stores, offers the worst wages and benefits, and isnt good to the employees....so having a bunch of them close would be a good thing ...right?
    But then there are also threads on how wal Mart is raising its minimum wage and opening stores where there isn't any real option. for work...so wal Mart is a good thing and these wages should be celebrated....right?

• Like Like x 1
  8. fredsanford

fredsanford Premium Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Or the bonuses are PR diversions from the layoffs to follow as they have been in every case after passing of the Tax Scam.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Huh? I'd really be curious how you came up with 33 on this list being in the Northeast. I count 11.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    I saw it in a graphic that had that. I will find it and post it. I suspect the graphic included the midwest in the Notheast.

11. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    or you could just look at the list and count. i mean, no offense.

Edit - OK, I see that you added the Midwest in there. Maybe half are in the Northeast and Midwest. Would that put the other half in the South and the West?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 26, 2017
    Kind of like when my friend comes back from Vegas. He puts the money he bets in one pocket ($1000) and the money he wins in the other. When he runs out of money to bet, he checks his other pocket and finds he has $50 and then proudly proclaims he won 50 bucks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. danmann65

May 22, 2015

Well if we were looking at the nation geographically not by population. The North East and midwest would both be in the North East quadrant. So 1/4th of the country. The graph I orinally saw I cant find any more thats my bad.

14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Wal-Mart is more bad than good.

15. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Why?

16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    While it employs a lot of people and offers low prices (the good), it has killed off smaller businesses, does not pay good wages or offer decent benefits, treats its workers poorly, and uses its power to screw over the communities it ends up in.

Due to its low wages and poor benefits, the taxpayers have to subsidize its workers, and its economies of scale mean that its killing of small businesses results in less Americans employed than there otherwise would be.

I think it's pretty silly that Amnerican taxpayers have to pay Wal-Mart employees because Wal-Mart is too cheap to do so.

17. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I do not like Walmart stores ...... but there price on 32oz Marine Stabil is best I've found, so I suffer on occasion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    It's got good and bad. It certainly has killed a lot of mom and pop stores, but the reality is that if Walmart hadn't, something else would have. It's the nature of things.
    Since we do have Walmart and it employs a couple million people, it'd be good if wages were raised a little to make their lives easier.
    Personally, I'll stop in a Walmart from time to time, and end up regretting it almost every time after it takes me 10 minutes to find what I want and 30 minutes to check out.

20. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Probably more that Costco is a Seattle company, and there are a half dozen or so in the area, so Sam's isn't going to get the same attention as it might in other parts of the country. I've been to Sam's a few times, Costco is better, at least on what it sells - not sure on price. Costco also treats their employees better.