Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Walmart reducing gun, ammo sales

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Sep 3, 2019.

1. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Because you are intentionally oversimplifying or purposefully lying.
    AR 15 is modular platform that comes in dozens of different calibers from hundreds of different manufacturers. There may still be some 22's from armalite available but the bulk of the ARs will be in .223/5.56 but you can also get them in 300 blackout, 6.5, 9mm, .458 socom,...... My favorite is the 6.8 SPC.

To say the AR 15 is an armalite 22 is like saying the one dollar bill is money. Kind of ignores the other denominations and worldwide currencies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    • Like Like x 1
  3. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Walmart just announced they will no longer sell car parts as cars kill people

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Right! And Gun shows will now sell live, loaded stinger missiles. When asked why a gun nut said..... “duhhhhhh guns don’t kill people”.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    In a pinch? During deer season (only need a few rounds for deer unless it's a control hunt)? What'd you do, leave your ammo at home? :D BTW real hunters handload, they don't buy no stinkin' factory ammo!!! JK, JK!!!

6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Here's a start: Military calibers: 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm "Russian", 7.62 mm NATO, 30 caliber carbine. 9mm, although the 9mm is primarily a pistol round. Crossover calibers used more for hunting: .223 Rem, 6 mm and 6.5mm Creedmore ,308 Win, 30/06 Springfield and 7 mm Mauser.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I understand but don't understand the logic for using high capacity magazines for hog hunting. It seems to me a person won't shoot more than 5 rounds because the hogs will run away after the first shot or two. If you start spraying bullets around you'll probably wound more than you kill. It also seems to me that if you shoot ten rounds or more at them you're probably wounding as many hogs as you kill, which is unethical to most hunters and if you wound those animals you're going to track them down and kill them instead of leaving them to die a slow death, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Wild hog hunting is one of the few times someone would need greater than a 5 round capacity. I use a fifteen round clip when I shoot hogs. I will empty the clip maybe 10 or 20% of the time.
    Wide open fields, thermal scope, 20 to 70 hogs per sounder. Hit the alpha sow first and it is easy to get another 14 well placed shots off.
    Yes, I wound a couple but the tracking is easy in open field with thermal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    you must give away lots of meat!! BTW, I understand how much damage hogs do, particularly to crops and I'm definitely ok with killing as many of them as is needed, I just wonder if everyone does what you do. Get the meat to as many people as possible whenever and wherever you can. Are some organizations not taking in hog meat because of the chances of disease?

10. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    They have donation programs in some states but not in OK.
    I don’t eat meat, but will pull the back straps for friends.
    Couple of neighbors will “order” a particular sized hog every now and then.
    Most of the meat is donated to buzzards.
    Realize this is a large swath of private property and I do this in coordination with local game wardens.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Too bad you can't use more of the meat. Hopefully one of these days you will be able to use it all.

12. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I don't care if people own ARs, AKs, Uzis or other military firearms. Just restrict magazine capacity to 5 shots. That's a pretty simple solution. Manufacturers still sell their guns but any magazines that hold more than 5 rounds are illegal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    My semi auto pistol mag holds 15. It was my duty weapon when I worked.

Even the 22 cal Ruger rifle that’s so popular has a 10 round magazine.

My old 30 cal carbine is standard with 15 round magazines.

I don’t think there’s a five round magazine made for any of them?

Five rounds max is not practical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Show me a husband that won’t and I’ll show you a neighbor that will

Not the only place to buy ammo

• Like Like x 1
  15. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    They can made, probably without lots of effort. If you don't think they can, well... If the gun costs more, so be it. You have the right to own a gun, not the right to be given one or to buy one for next to nothing. There can also be exemptions for larger mags, but they would need to be very valid, not just because you want to kill a bunch of animals at one time. If law enforcement and game commissions want to give out permits for bonafide control hunting, that's ok too, but having large magazines for self defense or just playing around should be stopped. Some Glock pistols offer 31 and 33 round magazines. I hope that's just for law enforcement. If not WTF??

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Who needs magazines? Belt-feds for all!

;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Your old duty weapon, ok, maybe there could be an exemption for that, or trade your existing mag for a 5 or 6 shot one. About the only weapons that can't be converted to 5 rounds are 6 shot revolvers and I'm ok with those. The rest of them can have new magazines made or with some weapons, a plug can be inserted like shotguns have for migratory game bird hunting. I believe the Ruger rifle you posted about (a 10/22 maybe) is a .22 long rifle gun, and how many mass shootings have been committed with .22 LRs (recently, not 40 or50 years ago). I wonder if the original Ruger Mini 30 is compatible with an old military .30 cal carbine? I believe the Ruger has 5 round magazines available because I believe it was produced in .30 cal carbine. BTW, what are you using a .30 cal carbine for, home defense? Are you that afraid of more than one or two people coming after you? Two pistols would probably work better than that carbine for home self defense. Also a person could use more than one pistol for a mass shooting. It has been done before and I don't know if there's a really good solution for that or most mass shootings for that matter but limiting magazine capacities is a start. it was done before but was done away with during the George W. Bush years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Meh, the term 'hunting' is used too loosely by most folks.

I've lived in the South (FL and LA) all my life except for a 5 year stint out in remote West Texas. I know lots of people that hunt hogs on their land and none of them use AR or AK style rifles. They use bolt action rifles, pistols, and dogs. The more adventurous ones use knives and dogs only. Now that's balls, and not my cuppa. And very few of them have acreage where its open fields. Its forest and/or swampland with thick underbrush where tracking wounded prey can be near impossible.

You can sit in the stand and ambush them if you don't want to hunt them on foot with dogs. None of the guys I know eat the greasy meat. Living in Louisiana most my life, I'll eat just about anything. Same goes got for all the hunters I know here. But I won't eat wild hogs. I've tried it, and there is just too much other good stuff to eat besides that.

Most deer hunters I know drive an ATV to the stand or cushy blind, and then ambush their prey. Then they load them on the ATV and ride back to the camp and dress them. I know very few hunters that actually stalk their prey and field dress them on site, and load the meat on their back and hike out. And none of them go out west or up to Canada or Alaska and do strenuous hiking in mountain elevations for miles stalking and hunting elk for instance, and then taking one critical shot to make their kill from a very long distance. Then make a hike to the downed animal, field dress it on site, load a whole lot of weight on your back, and do the return hike back to the truck.

Even better, go up to BC or Alaska and hunt a grizzly or brown bear. If that's too scary, then try moose. That separates the men form the boys. No AR / AK style weapon with a hi-cap mag is used in that instance either. Its you and your bolt or lever action rifle, pump shogun or high caliber pistol. Stalking your prey (that is also stalking you in return) on foot in remote rugged territory. Prey that can and will kill you if you aren't a skilled hunter and make a mistake in a moment of panic, clumsiness, or poor aim. And that's a situation where you truly find out how good your aim is. Same for the size of your balls and your 'hunting' skills. There's a big difference between buck fever and grizzly fever.

Same applies to hunting mountain lion and bobcat. And the bobcats in West Texas are huge compared to the ones in the South. To me, that is real hunting and not cushy glam hunting.

My ex M-I-L had 15K acres of prime hunting land in West Texas. She had outfitters (they were from AL) on one of her ranches that did guided multi-day hunts for deer, turkey, and hogs. These guys have hosted hunting TV shows and major hunting magazines on the ranch. They tried to get me to go hunting with them all the time. And it wouldn't have cost me a dime and I could have killed all the trophy deer I wanted. But I'm not into sitting in stands and ambushing animals. Its boring and not a challenge IMO.

I always went out on my own and hunted mountain lion, bobcat, and fox on foot because I like the challenge and also had full run of the 15K acres. I hunted them because they kill the kid goats and calves, and that adds up to a lot of lost revenue. When doing so, I either carried a Remington 870 (slugs or 00 buck) or a Marlin 1875 (.450 Marlin) with a .40 or .45 cal HK pistol on my hip. Ranchers out there routinely kill bald and brown eagles because they also kill the kid goats. I drew the line at shooting eagles though.

My ex-wife and I managed and lived on her mom's acreage since she was retired and lived in the city. And I never once carried an AR / AK style rifle, and neither did her outfitters. I've never even owned an AR/ AK style rifle, though I have shot plenty of them. The ranch foreman who handled all the goat and cattle was a retired Texas Ranger, and he knew a ton of federal LEO's, so he always had cool weaponry that I got to shoot.

People tend to cling to their guns and beliefs, and you are very rarely going to change them. YMMV.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I've eaten wild hog that was wrapped in foil and put in with the coals at a friend of mine's campsite out in the woods. It was fresh killed and was excellent. Some folks trap hogs in the wild and if they trap a male they castrate it and release it back into the wild. This does two good things: the boar can't reproduce and if it's killed later the meat doesn't tend to be bad tasting.
    Off topic, yes, but I thought some of you might find this post at least a little bit interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I’ll keep my stuff as is. You can limit yours if you want to.

FYI because you asked, My carbine is stainless steel. It’s shoots the round used in Vietnam. I fitted it with a folding stock and carry it fishing. SS doesn’t corrode or rust like steel, especially when exposed to salt water or salt air. It’s my “boat” gun.

It’s really no one’s business what I do or have in my house.

If what you want is passed I will become a criminal. I will not pay any fines. If that puts me in jail, so be it.

The current Supreme Court will not allow it.

Trump is paying big dividends for his conservative justices.

Hopefully Ginny retires and he gets to pick one more.

• Like Like x 1