Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wake Forest assistant punches a guy who dies from fall

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by oragator1, Aug 9, 2018.

1. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    My two cents is the reason the charge is only assault at this point, is that the prosecutors are waiting on the ME before deciding about upgrading the charges. The brother said that the victim was backing away when he was punched, which could have contributed to him hitting his head. The puncher(Jones) helped a witness prop him up so he wouldn’t choke on his own blood and then left the scene. But punching someone backing away who hasn’t touched you is completely uncalled for, even if that person had punched someone else.

The reason the victim was knocking on windows was his cell had died, so it was the only way to check which car was the Uber he ordered.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Where did you read that he hit his head on “the corner of a curb and that blood was pouring out”?

From what I recall having read, the cause of death was believed to be the impact of the punch.

3. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    These would be some damning details, while others... like “propping him up” would certainly suggest he didn’t intend murder and simply flee.
    It also seems others were present, which is something I wondered about. Witness testimony will be critical.
    There was an early report stat Ng the victim had been “banging on cars” and had punched someone in the face who had previously confronted. While that doesn’t justify the coach’s response, it may .... MAY ... suggest the victim was acting in a manner a bit less benign than calmly knocking on windows.

With all of this swirling, I am not ready to make any final judgement.

4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    The impact of the punch along with the head landing on pavement. Splitting hairs here on the exact detail of how his head hit, and the blood would be pouring out, although I didn’t need an article to verify that. He obviously punched him unnecessarily hard as a 6’6 220 pound man. The victim was an idiot for sure but Jones was the bigger idiot and murdered someone whether intentional or not.

5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    From a previous post, there are accounts suggesting the victim was bleeding from the mouth rather than a head wound resulting from a corner curb hit.
    But yes... some of that is is dwarfed by more important aspects.
    I thought some of the details offered by a previous poster were potentially very important...’

Did he punch the victim as he backed away?

Did he flee the scene and leave a man bleeding out alone, along a curb... or did he prop him up and leave him in the company of others?

These, and other important factors still need to be determined.

6. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    One of the biggest cities in the world so I’m sure there were people around by the time it ended. He tried dodging responsibility of his action. It took 2 days for him to come forward and he wouldn’t have if they didn’t have a good lead. It’s cowardly. Not a guy worth defending.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I agree. What we have here is reports of an incident with few facts. Lets let the authorities do their investigation. I havent read anything that came from an unbiased witness.

8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Again... this is something I don’t know, but perhaps you do:

Was he aware the man died and failed to come forward until he realized he would be identified? Or did he not know of the man’s death, and once learned of it... sought an attorney before turning himself into police?

9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    So the attorney says Jones found out the victim’s death on social media on Tuesday and had his attorney contact the police that day. He tried avoiding responsibility by fleeing but had no choice after the victim died.

10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Ok... so not to be argumentative, but this would be very different than not turning himself in for two days and then only doing so after learning police had a lead on him.
    If the attorney’s statement is true, he basically turned himself in upon learning of the death. That, of course, is a big “if”.... as are other aspects.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  11. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Technically he did wait two days before notifying police that he was the one responsible, between Sunday morning and Tuesday. He turned himself in only after finding out the guy died, and knew he couldn't be a fugitive.

12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    We are going in circles here. He seemingly did not know he was responsible for a person’s death until Tuesday, at which point he apparently turned himself in.
    That is different than what I thought you were implying... that he avoided police for days after learning of the death and turned himself in only after and because police had a lead on him.
    Perhaps I misunderstood your post.
    Anyway, it is a sad and sordid story. I’ll wait till more facts emerge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

These guys grew up on concrete. It is grass to them.

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Don't remember how the pick-up game stories started, but I played some when I was going to school at UNT. A bunch of students from our discipline were out one day when a conflict started and this kid pulled a knife on my friend Carlos.

Now Carlos had the physical and mental characteristics to easily take this kid apart. Thankfully, the situation deescalated. Carlos had four or five of us encouraging the kid to put the knife away and haul a$$. He got the clue. Having a blade on the court was kinda "real," though.