Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wake coach talking academic smack on Kentucky

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by oragator1, May 6, 2020.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  2. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    He's not wrong...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    From a coach who graduated from Southern Arkansas U. He's also a former UT assistant and was an assistant on the undefeated Wichita St. team that UK upset in the tournament a few years ago. Likely not a big UK fan!

I kinda wonder if it was more important to Sarr that he actually play in an NCAA tournament game before his college career was over - as opposed to having a prestigious WF degree...

• Like Like x 1
  4. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

A degree from Kentucky in basketball is better than a basketball degree from Wake Forest.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Kid just committed to Kentucky, so much for that pitch ...

• Like Like x 1
  6. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    The new Wake coach is just trying to get publicity...and he's doing it. They did a super cheesy video for his introduction. Very over the top, on purpose. I'm glad we're a school that doesn't need to do that crap to get noticed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    doesnt matter he will play overseas anyways. So I would have went with the Wake degree for academics

8. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I cannot fathom how tiny the percentage of time is that someone is negatively impacted by their resume showing a bachelors from a school like WF to a school like UK. We're not talking where someone went to law school here and we're not comparing Harvard to some sub-regional school either. The notion that a former athlete with WF bachelors has significantly different job opportunities than a former athlete with a UK bachelors is laughable. Actually, considering the fact that we're talking about a would-be former UK player, I'd argue his future career would benefit more from having graduated from (and, more importantly, played at) Kentucky.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tin Duncan was a Wake Forest grad. Who since then has graduated from UK and been as good in basketball?

10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tim Duncan says "Hi". And he graduated from Wake Forest.

And list the UK basketball grads better than him since Tim Duncan went pro.

11. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    doesnt matter he will play overseas anyways. So I would have went with the Wake degree for academics
    it will make a difference unfortunately. I wish it didnt, but it does and Wake Forest far outdistances KY in academics. Wake is up there with Duke

12. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Duncan is one of my favorite players ever. Probably the best power forward of all time - though I'm no NBA expert.

But, by that logic, Lebron has been better than most anyone ever via graduation from St Mary's high school or something like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rogocop

rogocop Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Greenville, SC
    Doesn't really matter now that Sarr is a Wildcat. Of course the geniuses on Rupp Rafters have come through again with their 40-0 thread, printing the t-shirts and are hanging #9....priceless...they never fail to disappoint.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I’m curious how they will seek a waiver. Coaching change rarely works. Cal must have something up his sleeve.

15. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I haven't heard speculation about this, as I've just been busy lately, but I'm prone to thinking Cal feels like he doesn't have anything to lose. Kinda like with Enes Kanter. If you desperately need a big man and you have plenty of scholarships...

I can think of examples of kids getting waivers after their coach was fired but I'm pretty sure I can think of more kids who were denied for this reason.

16. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    From the article:

"On the U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges list, Wake Forest is ranked 27th and Kentucky is 132nd among national universities." [UF is ranked 34th]

Kentucky is 132nd? ouch

17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I would be surprised if there was ever a waiver granted BECAUSE a coach was fired.
    im guessing it was the actual reason for numerous transfers, but there had to be mitigating circumstances listed on the waivers. I don’t think the NCAA has ever said, “ok... you coach was fired. Go.”

18. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

Yeah, I've just always contended that this isn't relevant 9 times out of 10 when brought up on sports message boards. It may sound defensive (me? never!) but I don't have a degree from UK. The fact is that most major universities, ranked 27th or 132nd, have pretty convenient, easier academic paths that athletes take. They also admit athletes that NEVER would have been able to gain admission to the school had they not been an amazing athlete.

Yes, one diploma says Kentucky and another says Wake but the degree that this factor's in to a former athlete's future is ridiculously small. I'm not even sure such a degree exists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Agreed.
    Not so relevant for an athlete, but very relevant for the average Joe Shmoe.

20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Yes yes, I agree. NCAA has made it clear that it can' be a coaching change alone - though I didn't state this well before. Just seems like, in many instances, there's some really weak justification that is found (yet none is found in many). Supposedly Sarr's angle is going to be that he was talked out of pursuing the NBA by Manning and then Manning was fired after the draft-entry deadline. This still sounds like a "my coach was fired" excuse to me though.

The NCAA seems VERY close to approving automatic approvals for one transfer for each player, as I'm sure you know. I think this, combined with the weird times we're living in combine to make it more difficult for the NCAA to tell him to sit a year. I know, the pandemic really doesn't have anything to do with this but, hey, lets throw this in while we're at it! Could easily be wrong.