Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Wait and See

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    First, some kudos to CMW for gathering a nice portal class.
    Don't think it is a stretch to say UF will look completely different next campaign.

How that translates to wins and losses I will not presume to guess. I know some are trying to "plug these guys in based on past performances" but until the squad hits the hardwood we won't know.

Only hope for the best and like Murphee Hall, would love to see UF add another post type player.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Well... yeah.
    I think these new guys can all play. Will they be good enough to compete for an SEC title? We won't know that until at least a few games into the season. Probably longer. In the meantime, they wanted to be Gators and I'm happy to have them.

CC's return is the big key right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ncgatorfan

ncgatorfan Member since 1996 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    We are going to be an older team, that's for sure. Looking forward to see Reeves grow into a role.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    We will be significantly tougher.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    All this suggests that we are not recruiting high school players very well. Next year, if KJ isn't back, I think our starters will likely all be transfers. CC, Appleby, Felder, Jones, Fleming. Maybe McKissic. Reeves or Samson could sneak in there to break up our all transfer starting 5, but clearly 6 of our rotation will be guys who transferred in. Why can't we recruit starting level guys out of high school?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Oct 13, 2011
    It is an interesting issue and one worth keeping an eye on. During recruiting season, I wonder how many spots we had open? I guess as a coach you can no longer assume all your guys will be returning especially with the one time free transfer....but how do you recruit and use the transfer portal at the same time? I assume we don't want to over-commit on HS kids, especially if you end up turning guys away you already offered. On the other hand, the portal has helped us recently, so you want to keep that avenue open. Man, juggling all that seems like a headache.

It will be interesting to see if bringing in seasoned transfer guys is a better approach then mid-level HS talent. Obviously everyone will be after the HS 5 stars, but some of the mid-level talent may have to wait a while to see how the portal shakes out each season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    To be fair, we started the season with 4 out of 5 starters being high school recruits. It’s a bit myopic to say that we can’t recruit well out of high school based on the results of the biggest off season transfer event in college basketball history.

• Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    Agree. May be some scope for criticism that we chose the wrong highly-rated recruits (fit, etc.) or that we didn’t develop them or that we couldn’t keep them, but White has recruited well in the abstract sense.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    CC returns and another portal big and 40-0!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    I think that's one very clear takeaway. One thing that translates well is the effort needed to be DPOY at any level...so I expect these guys to compete much harder next season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I am glad to see the new infusion of talent but MW cannot coach so not sure it matters who he brings in

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    :emoji_eyes: Yes Myopic. :emoji_eyeglasses:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Most of us are with you on this Bill but now we may have KJ coming back.
    At least he has a decent tool box (i think) to work with. Hope it works out, I prefer coaching security.

14. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

CC and KJ ............................