Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(W-TEN) Vs Auburn ~ Merged earlier threads

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorjjh, Apr 1, 2019.

1. G2MGA

G2MGA GC Legend

Aug 30, 2007
    Almost all schools have tennis, especially women's. The at large cutoff is probably around 45 and they pretty much go strictly by the rankings for tennis, so really no doubt we'll get in if eligible. The big issue is that you have to be .500 overall to be eligible - *if* we get that, we'll be in easily IMO.

Based on the prior week's form, I would've given us a chance to win one or even both next weekend, but if Kessler's not able to play, NCAA chances look bleak again just when things appeared to be on the uptick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Horrendous doubles performance, not sure why Kubicz instead of Kharitonova, just dismal performance

3. crosscreekgator

crosscreekgator Sophomore

Aug 3, 2018
    Maybe Kharitonova is injured or has academic issues. Unfortunately, I suspect that her absence is based on her attitude. I saw some things that concerned me about her in her early matches but then she appeared to have turned those things around. The biggest disappointment today was Jarlskog at #1. Jarlskog is ranked #8 whereas her opponent today is ranked #68 and Jarlskog got smoked, 6-3, 6-1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, I have assumed injury or doghouse, no way its talent alone.
    I do give Ida some leeway, she has been pretty steady on a tough spot till today

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gators win the doubles point.
    Lose on #1, win the other two rather comfortably.

6. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Riffice not in the singles line up. Perez at #6

Most gators cruise thru 1st set....
    3-0 UF

7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Friday, April 5, 2019
    Trouble with the Tide: Gators Drop 4-1 Decision to Alabama
    Sam Stolte
    Women's tennis mounts late comeback but falls at home to No. 43 Alabama Friday
    Quotes from the Court
    Head Coach Roland Thornqvist
    Overall thoughts on match…
    "It was tale of two matches today. I thought we played a poor doubles point without having McCartney (Kessler) out there and I don't know that we were really there mentally. I thought we could have done much better. And then it was a slow start in singles too. But then what I told them in the lockeroom was that we always want that worker bee mentality, we always want that never quit and never give up attitude. We had to have good body language and great energy and we began to show that later in the match. The match started to turn after about an hour. I remember looking at the scoreboard and thinking wow this might be our worst lost ever at home, but then next thing you know we are coming back in there and we're a few games from turning the whole thing around. As poor as we were in doubles and perhaps in the beginning of singles, I was equally pleased with the fight and the attitude we showed to get right back in the match. It took a fantastic effort from Alabama's player at three to close us out. Obviously we are terribly disappointed but the attitude I was really happy with."

"On positives from today's match and looking forward…
    "I think we are improving still. I think we had a really good weekend last weekend and you saw it today too. Sydney (Berlin) is really playing better and Victoria (Emma) is playing at a really high level now. The fact that she closed us out last week and turned it around here today makes her really difficult to play when she's competing like this. When she is this physical and is able to pick her spots to go for the big balls she is extremely tough. Tsveta (Dimitrova) was also fantastic for us.

I think the whole season we have been a little too up and down. We haven't or have very rarely had the entire team play well in one match, and I think that's cost us some 4-3 matches here or there and perhaps some of that was true today. Overall I think we are becoming a more tough, more durable and more resilient team. I'm hoping that slowly but surely we will get over that threshold and really see everyone play well and compete. Now we have a monumental task ahead of us on Sunday, it's a must win for us. This is certainly a new situation for the Gators but it's going to be fun."
    Trouble with the Tide: Gators Drop 4-1 Decision to Alabama - Florida Gators

8. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Coach was able to find some positive aspects in the loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As you know the doubles lineup was changed significantly for Alabama. Alfredo Perez was inserted into singles to get a real singles match under his belt in case he is needed moving into the post season. Berdusco transferred as a sophomore, with three years of eligibility remaining. The twins are walk ons and I assume they will be red-shirted since they will not play this season. An SEC team can only travel with eight players so that means some of the reserves are not on this trip anyway.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    what, that is was not 4-0?

11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Partly....but, more accurately: a couple of matches the Gators had turned....on the verge of tying it 3-all, the the Bama player on court 3 seized back control and won it in the end.

Coach basically liked the fight shown. At least go down fighting. After a miserable start with bad doubles. And singles got off to a really bleak start. Really missed Kessler in the line-up.

12. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so, whats better, losing 4-3 or 4-1?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Not sure why you are pressing this line of questioning. I gave you my answer to your rather snarky flippant question....

This is not a good season for the women. They were short handed , in addition, and suffered a bad loss. But last week had a couple of upset wins. Did you congratulate them for the wins? Didn’t see your post...but you show up now to bitch after a loss. Nice work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you not grasp the difference between a loss where they quit/give no effort and a loss where they battle back and compete despite being shorthanded?
    It was a bad day, everyone on the planet knows that. But its pretty easy to see what coach meant

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    I applaud their effort, but moral victories are meaningless, bottom line is uf should not be losing to the teams they are, for whatever reason, maybe, and I hate to say this, roland has reached his limit here and new blood is needed.

16. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Roland has cycled thru some bad years....

I remember same claims back a decade ago...there was a lot of “woe” and demands, etc....(from entitled fans who probably never attended a match, etc)...then, we won championship titles.

He’s got the blueprint to turn it around, for sure, since he has done it before!

17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Reached his limit? Limit meaning multiple national championships, including one less than 2 years ago? Sometimes I just get amazed at these boards.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gators capture the doubles point.

1st set Singles: iffy. Mixed bag of wins and losses. Not doing well at #5, #6. Ida is struggling at #1. Mo Kessler in the line up but Emma playing well at #2

19. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Men are cruising over Auburn, on the road.

20. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    1st set:
    Ida lost 3-6
    Emma won 6-3
    Zein lost 4-6
    Dimitrova won 6-3
    Berlin trails 4-5
    Kubicz lost 1-6