Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Vol Hate Week! Let's go people! This is not a drill!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Tgator5, Sep 19, 2021.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

FB_IMG_1632226406631.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I don't post a lot on Facebook, but a Facebook "memory" popped up this week. Apparently I posted in 2010 that a Vol co-worker complained that the Vols gave away the game in the 31-17 loss and I said something about the Vol-in-tears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Not for me, it's in that exact order no matter the era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Volnation
    Well a couple-three things.

One, we ARE NOT as bad as FSU. Those are fighting words. FSU lost to an FCS team on a play where their DBs just didn't make an effort. We lost to a mid- to upper- tier ACC team with a QB that may be able to hold a clip board in the NFL. Yes, Pitt lost to Western Mich, but anyone with any sense knows that football doesn't have the communicative property from math. That is, Team A beats Team B who beats Team C, doesn't mean Team A will beat Team C. Western Michigan is actually a decent MAC team. So maybe Pitt is solidly middle tier ACC, but that's still big step up from Jax State.

Two, Volsheimer's has not been thing in a long time. That poster might as well say he's old as ****. When is the last time UT fans started complaining in November that we could have beaten Florida? Maybe 2006? That's the last time I recall. That was solely a Fulmer-era thing. How old is that guy, anyway? I freely admit that I'm 55, lol.

Three, we are better than "being in the basement by Vandy". Like it or not, we did beat USC junior and Mizzou last year, which means in heads up matches we were literally at the midpoint of the SEC East (we lost to UK, Uga and UF). Further there is no doubt in my mind that we could have beaten UK with anyone but JG at QB. Remember that 14 of their points were from him!

TBH, as I think this through I feel a bit better about our chances. UF had a terrible D last year. This year they gave up some points to both their "pre-season patsies". A lot of people think their D is great because they "held bammer to 31". But come on, who else has bammer played? Mercer? GMAFB! Miami? Okay, but probably one of the most overated P5 schools, on a downward trajectory and likely to just barely sneak into a bowl only because they are ACC. I think bammers offense is not the offense we saw last year, and maybe 31 is what an average SEC D gives up to them. Bammer didn't run the ball well? Does anyone think we depend on our running game for success? Didn't think so.

Here's an interesting fact, the gator defense is 61st in the country, just barely in the top half. If Hooker starts I say we have no trouble at all getting over 20 points, and might even do better.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tgator5

Tgator5 Junior

Sep 26, 2015
    Gator in Tennessee
    images-7.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Tgator5

Tgator5 Junior

Sep 26, 2015
    Gator in Tennessee
    images-6.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    For some reason the Vols have always been the whipping boys of the SEC, but...there were times over the years they were a thorn in my butt. I forget who the QB was but they beat us at home one time and he jumped up on the wall there and led the band in Rocky Top. I threw up in my mouth a little remembering this painful event. For two reasons, I hate rocky top and I hate losing.

Looking at all of this in retrospect...the dumbest ass thing University of Tenn ever did was get rid of Fulmer. He was an easy guy to dump on and the butt end of numerous jokes but he put a decent program together and won a natty if my memory is correct. He recruited well and coached some decent games. He always seemed to have beasts in the trenches.

I always get a little reluctant to dump on teams too too much. Ya never know when they are gonna come back, surprise you and bitch-slap you into yesterday.

This is a weird year. Are we any good? Seems like it. Is it a false positive? Hope not. Probably after about three more weeks the players and pretenders will sort themselves out.

As Petty said..."Even the losers, get lucky some times..."

Go Gators.;)

8. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

2003?

Erik Ainge was the QB around that time I think. UF started Ingle Martin that day and it was 2000 degrees at kickoff. At least it felt that way. Noon kick.

9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Loved this finish even better than the toss from Franks to Cleveland, it was 4th down, and we were trailing; if we don't get a first down there, the game is essentially over. Most of us were just hoping for a first down to keep the drive going. That play didn't get us out of the woods yet, either, as Tennessee would try to go down ala 2004 and kick a long FG to win it. STILL waiting on an official explanation from the SEC on why the ball was moved closer to the middle of the field before their final kick, but I wouldn't change the ending. The near miss was perfect.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wulfric

Wulfric Freshman

Sep 27, 2015
    Nashville
    From a few years ago. :) FLARDY.JPG

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. RayGator

RayGator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    I’ll just mention this, and I’ll never, ever forget it! Back in 1990 when Steve Spurrier was in his first year as HC of the Gators he had this to say:

“We don’t want other Teams to Like us, we want them to Hate us! If they Hate us, then that means we’re beating them all the time; if they Like us then that means that they are beating us all the time!”

So, remembering what Spurrier said a long time ago, I Like the Tennessee Vols! :)
    Yes I do! Always welcome Lulu and Junior to the Swamp!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. insuragator

insuragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They beat us 45-3 in 1990 :(

13. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    And then they went on to win only 6 of the next 30 against us. They fired Fulmer, inter alia, because he couldn’t beat us with any consistency and then they’ve won only once since then.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    …Happy Biiiirthdaaaay, Mr. President…Haaapy Biiiiirthday…Toooooo Yooooouuuu.

84C9AD81-BE8F-40B9-A6BA-970A532502AC.jpeg

15. insuragator

insuragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL

Was there for all except 2003 when I was test driving a boat.

16. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

2001 still stings..

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm buying what ya selling. I hate those Hillbilly Hypocrites, and want to beat them so bad, they start walking to the airport.

18. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Awwww, as my Grammy used to say, " Bless your heart".

19. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Watching TN slowly go down the drain is the reminder for me of what happens IF fans and boosters have "too much" input into your football program. Agree with your take on Fullmer, he put a good product on the field and recruited OL & RB like crazy.

Auburn is my second example.

When I suggest to friends that we were dangerously close to becoming TN, we all knock on wood and take a shot.

20. Not the same since Alvin York left.