Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Visitors for the 24th

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 21, 2020.

1. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Gibbs is a smart kid and enjoys Atlanta. You have to admit living in downtown Atlanta area and getting a degree from GT aren't to bad!!!
    I'm hoping he jumps on the Gator wagon but like EJ Smith just feels like it's a good school and good location that may entice him.
    A degree from GT is a solid one, as obviously is one from UF.
    Just speakin the truth but Gainesville is no Atlanta and what city life can offer.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    But never get the chance to have a college life in a college town again. Can live in a city the rest of your life.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

If I'm a college football player, I want an opportunity to have a chance of playing for a national title.

That opportunity is not there at Georgia tech.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I have a friend who couldn't make it in Florida's College of Electrical Engineering, had to transfer to Georgia Tech, and eventually graduated with an engineering degree from there. So, I consider my degree from Florida a prized possession. And, I've been to both cities; in hindsight, I would choose Gainesville to live in for college over Atlanta all over again.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Atlanta has its pluses

6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    It’s common knowledge that Clayton state is a harder school than tech but if I go to an interview with a Clayton st degree and u show up with one from the institute I’m not getting that gd job I can promise u. And tech is actually charming to be so nerdy

7. r0r080

r0r080 Junior

Jul 31, 2019
    I found it to be one of the worst cities for the probability of being a victim of crime there, as well as one of the dirtiest city, and that's not even talking about the traffic. Sure a degree from GT still carries some serious weight, and while no one has mentioned it Georgia State.. (Campus is also in downtown Atlanta, with a very large student population), so neither despite all those negatives seem to be suffering with getting kids to go there. Then you also have the 3 prestigious black colleges off of exit 89 on I 85 (Morehouse, Clark- Atlanta and Spellman) which are all within walking distance of each other...(something I didn't even realize until I have to give a presentation at Clark-Atlanta). Emory is also in Atlanta....as a point of correction Clayton state is actually in Morrow, GA not Atlanta.......... But I'll stick with my assessment that Atlanta as a city sucks big time, but there are many others obviously that dont seem to have any issue with the negatives I found to be major turn-off.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Atlanta would be the last place I would want to go to school or live. And that includes a lot of really unattractive places. Like tuskerloser. Ga Tech is a good school though. Crappy football team, but good school.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    But way way more minuses.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Crazy. He's our best hope for a RB in this class. Not counting transfers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Chief among them being Georgia Tech.

• Funny Funny x 7
  12. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    You aren't ever full when a player like Avante Williams is a potential. That guy is the real deal and even at 170 probably would be a huge asset to our team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    dodging homeless junkies on peachtree is awesome.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I don’t trust any town that has more than 2 stoplights. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Are you aware that the (violent) crime rate in Gainesville is over twice as high as Atlanta??

When it comes to Florida versus a city like Atlanta versus Florida cities, it all comes down to personal preferences. Most people who've been in a place for a long time have stayed because they like it there.

Personally, I couldn't wait to get out of Florida. There are a lot of people on this site who chose to leave Florida for other places. Outside of the beaches and the water, I personally don't think Florida has all that much to offer. I like visiting, but I really have no desire to live in Florida again.

Atlanta is a big city, not just by population, but it is a major corporate city and it's a very pretty area. A lot of the top graduates from all around the country come to Atlanta. The traffic here sucks big time, but Atlanta has a lot going for it. And for young African-Americans, Atlanta has a HUGE draw. It's probably the most African-American friendly corporate city in the country and GT is a great engineering school.

I totally get that Atlanta isn't for everyone. Most of the people I know in Atlanta who lived Florida have no interest in going back to Florida. And most of the people I know in Florida who have lived in Atlanta have no interest in going back to Atlanta.

I have no idea what motivates Gibbs, but it's probably not the same things that motivate you and me.

EDIT: I edited to compare (violent) crime rate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I graduated from UF with a degree in engineering and then got a masters at GT. GT was much more difficult and it wasn’t even close. BTW, I don’t give a chit about GT other than listing it on my resume.

• Like Like x 2
  17. r0r080

r0r080 Junior

Jul 31, 2019
    I love it when individuals throw out opinions as fact.....when reality says otherwise
    2018 data on crime
    Crime in Gainesville, Florida
    Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)

Gainesville violent crime is 35.4. (The US average is 22.7)
    Gainesville property crime is 52.4. (The US average is 35.4)

Crime in Atlanta, Georgia
    Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)

Atlanta violent crime is 55.3. (The US average is 22.7)
    Atlanta property crime is 75.4. (The US average is 35.4)

• Informative Informative x 4
  18. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Not sure where you get your data, but this is from the FBI based on MSAs from 2018. It's a chart of all the MSAs in the United States:

Table 6

Gainesville MSA has 713.3 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants and Atlanta MSA has 320.7 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants.

I should have specified violent crime rate, which I think is what we're both talking about. And I showed 2018 because that's the most recent report the published.

19. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

rate vs number of crimes are 2 different things.

Problem with Atlanta, it's in Georgia. The most awful state in the union.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

I've spent alot of time in both places, and I'll take Gainesville over Atlanta any day, and 20 times on Sunday. Not that you care; but then I didn't care when you gave the opposite opinion either.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1