Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Virginians are split on governor’s fate amid blackface scandal

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Feb 9, 2019.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Frankly, I don't find this surprising at all.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I'd like to know if either were really him - before I give my opinion.

Anyone know?

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Gov is on CBS this morning groveling to Gail King. Didn't catch whether he admitted it was him, but sounds like he did.

4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Should have responded a little sooner. Since I'm a white guy this is obviously speculation, I don't think African-Americans think that Northam deserves a free pass on the blackface issue, what they probably believe is that what Northam has done in the 35 years since he (may have) posed for the yearbook picture far outweighs the inappropriateness of pic itself, unlike the white liberals obsessed with political correctness or Republicans/conservatives who never miss an opportunity to embarrass a successful Democratic politician.

5. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Well yeah, any logical
    person would.

6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I don't doubt for a second that this is true. Especially now that a better alternative in Fairfax no longer seems viable, and even the tertiary option in the AG seems compromised.

As I stated earlier, people tend to value interest over principle. And that is not a left versus right thing, either, though both camps will inevitably shout "hypocrite!" when the other side does it. Speaking for self, there is much and more that bothers me about the way our President does business, and it wouldn't break my heart if he suddenly developed some convenient Urban Meyer style health issues as a face-saving resignation. But if that were to mean Nancy Pelosi becomes President (it wouldn't, but I'm just saying), then I, too, would gain some situational ethics in my own interest and pray for the President's continued good health and superior genetics.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Northam digs himself a little deeper. They weren't indentured servants. They were slaves.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam slammed for referring to 'first indentured servants from Africa' instead of slaves

8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    You know, when I read that my first thought was that he might be technically correct. I seem to remember learning in history at UF that the first Africans brought to English colonies in North America were indeed "indentured servants" and not slaves in the same sense that the trade evolved into. The distinction as I recall was that they were freed at the end of their indentured servitude, and their children were born free regardless of their status. The issue was something like that slavery was illegal under English common law (as a rejection of the Islamic practice) until late in the 17th Century, and then only as exception for the New World.

Parts of the linked article back that up as well:
    Perhaps we can give Northam a pass on this one. It shouldn't be a sin to be correct.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Junior

Dec 31, 2016
    At that time in history indentured servitude was common practice through out the colonies. I would note that many who came as indentured servants died of various diseases and other causes. Also note the indentured servants were of all races and nationalities and were not considered slaves yet they were all subjected to cruelty of slave ownership and were bought and sold to owners of plantations etc.. For those historical buffs here is link you might find interesting.

Indentured Servants in Colonial Virginia

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Blackface is hollywood mainstream now, all the cool girls are doing it.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Your rather sarcastic post was in response to my post pointing out that in a recent poll by a 21% margin African-American residents of Virginia thought that Northam should not resign. So you're saying the opinions of those African-American Virginians aren't as important as the opinions of Democratic politicians most of whom who live outside of the Commonwealth as well as the liberal talking heads who have also joined in the high tech lynching?

13. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Easy killer. I was saying the AA residents are the logical ones.

14. Agreed. The hypocrite liberals know where their bread is buttered.

If he were a Republican, the torches and pitchforks would have already been out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have mentioned it other places, but part of the narrative and why he is still in office is because he has fought for minorities his whole career. Most republicans in a similar position can’t make that case (and in fact are already viewed skeptically by minorities often) and are inherently more vulnerable when stuff like this happens.
    Sam reason a draft dodger like trump can berate military leaders and POWs, because his followers know he values the power of the military and acts Uber patriotic - a dem doing that would be run out on a rail.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  19. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Agree. The other problem is that the media doesn't filter this stuff. Rather than printing something reasonable, they go looking for stuff like this that will generate the views.

• Agree Agree x 1