Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Virginians are split on governor’s fate amid blackface scandal

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Feb 9, 2019.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA

2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    You’re still using words like “believe” and “know.” For what it’s worth, I agree with you that the things you mentioned don’t speak to his favor (initially admitting it, etc). But since it is possible he is telling the truth and I would not want to lose my job over what someone else just “believes,” then we need to start using words like “prove.”

By the way, I would have thought for sure by now someone would have come forward to identify the people in that photograph. No one has.

• Like Like x 1
  3. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Junior

Dec 31, 2016
    Good question why hasn't someone come forward to identify those in the photograph?
    I could post several reasons as to why.
    1. Anyone who comes forward opens themselves up to being complicit with regards to Mr Northam's actions. We all know how the media and the public would treat such a person even if they were not. How would one prove they were not when they didn't speak up at the occurrence.
    2. Certainly the one wearing the KKK attire is not going to fess up. We all know how that would end.
    3. Mr. Northam is now claiming it isn't he in the photo so now we have to decide which is the truth and which is the lie.
    4. Finally this is a medical institution and anyone who speaks up now is putting their career at stake for being privy to the instance. The media would have a field day digging into the background of anyone who fesses up.

4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This is politics, a position he has no legal right or entitlement to other than the will of the people in his state. It is not a court of law with a legal burden of proof, so no, it really does not have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I can judge him by his response, by how I perceive his credibility, or any number of things. Based on everything ive seen, he should resign.

5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh so is this a dick measuring contest now?

I'm gonna guess you've lived on and were raised on american military bases in Panama , Germany, Okinawa and Japan?

I've lived in France, Belgium, and Israel among the local populations. I've traveled to South Africa, Thailand, Spain, Italy, Greece, The UK, Germany, Norway, Vietnam and Turkey. All 50 states save for the Dakotas, Maine and Montana.

The fact of the matter is that Northern VA and DC are a liberal bubble. And you said so yourself that you've been there for 40 years of your 63 on this Earth.

You live in a bubble. Sorry friend. Racism is alive and well whether you want to pretend it is or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    It may be alive but not so much well. Or at least not as much as you hope it to be.
    People under 50 didn't grow up with racism in your face like older generations. In fact, the only racism I experienced growing up was in high school here in Central Florida was from blacks. The blacks formed gangs and terrorized and targeted whites in school.
    But big picture, US is one of the least racist countries.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Why would I hope racism is alive and well? Kind of a dick thing to say.

Yes, we’ve come a long way since slavery-> Jim Crow laws and yes the US is less racist than MANY other countries. Still have a long ways to go though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Junior

Dec 31, 2016
    Are you not the one who made it that to start with? Think what you like I gave you my background just as you gave me yours.

I am sure you can imagine that some of that was on my fathers military career and some of that is based on my time in service. As for your travels are they on the backs of your parents or are they on your own dime? Needless to say I think we both agree that out of everywhere we have been and everywhere we have lived the US is by far the best choice of residence otherwise neither of us would still be living in the US.

Sorry it is you that lives in a bubble. The politics in this area is what is in shambles not the people. Washington D.C. is just as corrupt as it has ever been. The state government of Maryland is just as greedy as it has ever been and Virginia is now following suit. Tell me what is it that these three governments have in common now?

• Like Like x 1
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I never suggested “beyond a reasonable doubt” as the standard of proof. That is, indeed, for a court of law. And the personal standard you cited is appropriate for determining who you would or would not vote for. Unfortunately, this man has already been elected and has the job. Therefore, the standard of proof for him losing his job ought to be the same as for any facing that scenario, which would be “more likely than not.” Since he’s clearly not going to just resign to make you happy, more evidence that it’s him in the picture is going to be necessary in any case. Believe me, someone out there knows to a certainty who’s in that photo and what the context is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    How many years of your life have you NOT lived on “American soil” aka a military base?

11. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Is racism tolerated on american Air Force bases?

12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Blackface is always unacceptable. That being said, when considering whether Northam should resign the question could be asked, what's more significant a dumb ass yearbook photo taken 35 years ago or a long history of exemplary public service including recently signing legislation providing increased access to healthcare for over 300,000 Virginians a significant percentage of whom are African-American through expanded eligibility for Medicaid.
    KATHLEEN PARKER: Northam deserves chance to redeem himself as governor
    This is a from an African-American journalist, albeit one who is in a very small minority
    As of today, let’s forgive everyone who has ever appeared in blackface. But anyone who does it tomorrow will get no mercy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Junior

Dec 31, 2016
    I cannot help but get the impression that you believe one must live on a military post or base if they are in the military. The fact is one does not have to live on post or the base and can live out in town among the populace. In all cases I have lived out in town with the exception of 4 years in Panama the rest have been among the local population. Japan and Okinawa were short stints on my part a year each and 4 years in Germany. As for Virginia I have personally made this my home. The 40 years I speak of is in total and not contiguous as the call of the Shenandoah has always been and will always be my preference.

• Like Like x 1
  14. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Junior

Dec 31, 2016
    What on earth would make you pose such a question? I'll chalk it up to ignorance. Racism is not tolerated in any form by active duty military members or their families and it matters not whether it is on an Air Force base, Army Post, Naval Air Station or within the public domain.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Maybe not you personally, but it seems like libbies are all too quick to point out racism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I dont disagree with most of what you say here. What I disagree the most with is the implication that being a liberal means you cant be a racist.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016

The guy who wanted a group of black men falsely accused of rape to be executed (and still wanted them executed after it was proven they were innocent) is suddenly the voice of African Americans. Imagine that!

• Like Like x 1
  18. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There is some truth to this.

Younger folk haven't grown up with the same racism *in their face* as earlier generations. We are living through its dismantling, and the nature of racism has changed. But because this is a particularly high profile ongoing societal change, it also makes it tougher to pin down (i.e. we need the clarity of 20/20 hindsight)

Yet racist attitudes and bigotry still thrive in the US, though are often more subtle. Many of those who still harbor racist sentiment have learned to keep it backstage so as not to be criticized, ostracized, lose their jobs etc... And while I am a fan of providing data on such things, I'll use an incident just the other day because it provides a good example of it:

Joe Ricketts, (TDAmeritrade; Chicago Cubs) whose personal emails showed him to be quite the ugly racist and bigot.

There are several reasons why this more subtle form is a problem, mainly though its that those harboring such attitudes will work hard to hide it better, meaning that it will in effect be harder to detect, yet still remains a problem. Think about it in terms of policing, e.g., where officers who might harbor racist attitudes would be more likely to suspect minorities, arrest them (or worse, use force both legal or extra-legal), or judges who sentence harder etc...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  19. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    He is 77. It would be more surprising if he wasn't a bit racist.
    It's just not something many people think about under the age of 50.

20. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not about age, but about private attitudes vs publicly expressed attitudes.

I would agree that younger people are more racially aware and tolerant than older generations if that is what you are getting at by saying it's not something those under 50 think about. But (...and there's always a but...) it would be a mistake to think that not in your face is equivalent to not existing.