Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Virginians are split on governor’s fate amid blackface scandal

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Feb 9, 2019.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The only real surprise in that poll the bottom bar on African-Americans. By and large, they don’t think the black face is a big enough to deal to step down as governor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I don't get how he should get a pass. If you posed a hypothetical with the same scenario with an unnamed politician, it should be overwhelmingly one sided that he should step down. Even if it's uncertain whether it was him in the photo, the issue would cloud the rest of his term. So do we decide based on our values or is this just a popularity contest?

4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nobody is saying he should get a pass, but glad to see I’m not the only here who isn’t on the outrage train.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Perhaps many of them think along the lines of others, such as a few up thread in that it was thirty something years ago, thus weighing go or not against that and him *now*?

Seems this would be the more considered/less visceral reaction.

• Like Like x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    In my opinion, the issue for many who have opted to “give him a pass” does not come down to values or popularity but rather interest. It was one thing to stand on principle when it just got you rid of a stuffy old white guy who was going to be political ballast and brought you in the reign of a “more progressive, more charismatic African American.” But then the latter’s situation got even more problematic than the former’s. Compound that with the attorney general (third in line) admitting to the same thing that brought down the ire of the rank-and-file on the governor in the first place, and you are faced with a situation wherein standing on principle might mean replacing a Democrat administration with a Republican one. All of a sudden an (unadmitted) instance of black face from 30 years ago doesn’t seem that significant.

And in fairness if it was an equivalent situation in reverse, then many Republicans would also choose interest over principle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah I am a staunch Pub and even I don’t think this guy should have to step down...it’s absurd we now have to apologize or get punished for things we said/did 20+ years ago...I come before you to confess in the 7th grade I pushed a kid into a locker...please don’t call me a bully

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    He didn't break any law, it wasn't even a crime of corruption or greed. I say let him stay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I mean, there was no question about the Florida guy with blackface (and his mocking of Katrina victims) that he needed to go. I guess the difference here some want to draw is that this guy was still in med school, and that other guy was actually in government at the time. But I wonder what their age differences were? That Florida politician might have "only" been in his 20's or 30's at that time based on the image. So what's the difference with this VA governor? 24 should be old enough that the guy should be fully responsible for his behavior.

The only way for him to take responsibility in this instance, is to step aside. Or are you just saying "statute of limitations has passed" move on? I don't agree, but I guess that depends on how severe you think the breech of trust was. If that is him in either the KKK robe or blackface, I see that as a most serious breech of values. He should resign not just from the governorship, but he should be booted from the democratic party. He should be out of office, and if he wants to run again it should be with another party. The guy is practically a Republican anyway, this is the same person the Republican party was trying to court just a few years ago.

7th grade bullying is not really comparable to a 24 year old med student. Hell, if the guy was 18 or 19 in HS or undergrad even that is a far cry from Med School, maybe you can excuse some idiocy from a HS student. But med school is supposed to be professional level. It's an embarrassment for the school too, since apparently this was part of their culture in the 80's and prior.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I would remind the board again that Northam denies he is in the photograph, and no one I’m aware of has come forward to say something like, “Yeah, that was him on the left, and it’s Billy Bob Joe Rudibea on the right. That was a party at ole Cooter’s house. They can all back me up.”

First, prove that’s it’s him. Second, determine the severity, including how much his lying aggravated the circumstances. Third, determine what should be done about it. Everyone wants to skip right to the third step when no one has proven anything yet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I want him gone.

12. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    I lived in Virginia from 1985-2000. You'd be surprised how many people there, particularly those who were born and raised in Virginia, were racists, similar to when I grew up in Jacksonville. Fl. and by that I'll just say they looked down upon and demeaned other people who weren't white like they were. I'm white, BTW. The state legislature even turned Martin Luther King Day into Jackson Lee King Day. That's right, they added a celebration of Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee to MLK's birthday and even put Jackson and Lee's names ahead of MLK. I was around a lot of well to do people there and I was surprised how many were racists, even those a good deal younger than myself. The blackface thing doesn't surprise me at all and I agree with a lot of the Afro Americans in the graph gatorpika posted at the start of this thread.

13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    True, it is a mess from that standpoint. But if the Democrats just let things cool down and then embrace this guy again later on, how do they call for the next guy with an ugly past to step down with any credibility? At a minimum he should serve the rest of his term as an independent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Tough one. If the next pub is accused of using the “N” word and it’s on tape somewhere from a few decades ago Dems will have to be forgiving if this is forgiven. I’m not equating the two exactly but you probably get my point.

I personally believe breaking social norms from a few decades ago as being less of a big deal than being accused of sexual harassment or racial discrimination but as you point out it opens the door for hypocrisy accusations.

15. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I believe the mess in VA has move beyond the #YouToo? phase of a couple of white dudes in blackface …... into the #3StrikesYou'reOut phase with allegations of multiple sexual assaults.

If the democrats do nothing in VA …… that state becomes the perfect example for opponents to use in "proving" the corrupt racist and sexist nature of liberal hypocrisy.

16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The white SJW's are all up in arms and the AA's are MEH.......

welcome to the new bizarro world

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Senior

Dec 31, 2016
    I've lived in Virginia for just shy of 40 years. Granted all of it has been in the Metro Washington area however I travel a lot across the US and within the State. In my life span (63 years now) I have never experienced the claims of racism and hypocrisy that is currently rampant in today's society. In today's society people are quick to judge without context or proof.

Living in this political cesspool I can say without a doubt had Mr Northam been of a different political stripe he certainly would suffer a backlash more intense than what is happening now. The truth is the shoe is on other foot now and even the news media such as CNN is calling for a modicum of common sense concerning public judgement. One wonders why the change in heart when up to this point everyone else has been chastised and judged guilty without question.

Fact we don't know if Mr Northam is one on of the people in the photo as he has recanted his previous statement. The person wearing the KKK attire could in fact be a woman. As we all know the KKK is not a favorable organization by any stretch of the imagination and anyone who wears blackface in this context certainly does not have any sense of the abhorrent actions a KKK affiliate would take on a black person. History certainly bears out the facts that being black in the company of the KKK puts one's life in inherent danger. Making a mockery of such historical facts speaks volumes to the ignorance, acceptance or blatant disregard for the vile and insidious actions of the KKK.

That said Mr Northam has confessed to wearing blackface on a separate occasion portraying Michael Jackson and paying tribute or possibly mocking Michael's talents as a singer and an artist. To date I have not seen any pictures or footage of Mr Northam in this context. One has to wonder if this occurred at the very same institution Mr Northam was attending at the time.

That said. There is no doubt in my mind that Mr Northam's political career is finished. What remains to be known is where Mr Northam will end up when all is said and done. My personal opinion is that Mr Northam should step down of his own volition yet that is not going to happen. Should he remain in office he will have hard time dealing with the 100 members in the house of delegates and the 40 senators in the senate.

On a final note we can certainly look back in history to individuals within our government's leadership roles that have been racially intolerant regardless of political stripe. The fact that remains is the majority of the public is firmly against racial intolerance yet these people continue to be elected to leadership roles in our society. One has to wonder how this is possible with regard to public awareness and sentiment. I am nearing the conclusion it is our political elite, institutions and media that are complicit in keeping such proclivities from the public.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    The DC metro area is one of if not THE most liberal metropolitan areas in the country. It’s decidedly NOT racist compared to the rest of the country and certainly VA. I lived in Arlington for 3 years and then in DC proper for 6 years.

I have lived in Richmond (capital of the confederacy) for 6 years now and I went to college @ Washington & Lee University (as in Robert E Lee) which is in Lexington, VA (same as VMI).

I was born and raised in Pensacola.

You’ve lived your life inside a liberal bubble. That’s why you don’t think racism exists because you’re surrounded by enlightened, educated people. Believe me when I tell you it DOES.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yeah I don't think anybody believes it's not him. It's his yearbook page. How else did that photo get there? As it's (apparently) his page, he may have even had control over the content. So even under theory it isn't him, which would be odd, he must have thought it a good idea to have that photo on his page. Right? Or are we saying some random yearbook editor obtained this photo or put some totally random people in KKK garb on his page? That just doesn't pass the smell test.

BTW a big part of the reason I think the guy should go is his BS response. Initially he just apologized, but it was a lame as hell apology. Then like a day later he's changed his tune in almost Trumpista like fashion, suddenly claimed it isn't even him! Ok so the where is the truth and the real apology? Where's the credibility? It's completely mssing. So adios, he's gotta go imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Senior

Dec 31, 2016
    I was born in Ft Polk Louisiana and raised across the globe. I've lived in Germany, North Carolina, Panama, Texas, California and Virginia. I've traveled across Europe, Ireland, Okinawa, and Japan.
    I have made it a point on my bucket list to travel through and stay in every state of the union. The only states I've left to visit are Montana, Wyoming, Washington and Oregon you sir are the one living in a bubble.

• Winner Winner x 1