Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Video editing?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by Gator515151, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I have been doing a lot backpacking and started using KINEMASTER so I can edit video on the fly. Anyway I film on a GoPro Hero 6 at 1080p and 30 fps and transfer my video to a Samsung S5 for editing. The videos sent to the phone look great but I seem to lose quality once I load them into Kinemaster and again when I export to youtube and facebook. The final product has blurred faces and details. If I go back and view the files sent to my phone they are clear. Does anybody have any idea what is happening?

2. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Note: I don't seem to have the same problem with video shot on the S5.

3. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Sounds like you have the video compression for uploading enabled

4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Facebook is notorious for compressing large photos and video files. Plus if you are using mobile data instead of Wi-Fi that can degrade your quality.

5. solari

solari GC Janitor VIP Member

Agreed - FB and Instagram are terrible at compressing the hell out of videos. I've been disappointed in how they look when I've uploaded them.

However, YouTube shouldn't be a problem so you may be compressing your videos too much in that case... I don't use your software so I'm not of much help here. I suggest Googling it?

Ray

6. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Thanks guys, I will give that a try. I'm curious I really don't know a lot about editing video, I used to do a little editing on the old Windows Movie Maker software then when I planned my AT hike I wanted to be able to edit on the fly on my cell phone and post whenever I had a phone signal. I tried the GoPro App but never could get it to work right, then someone suggested Kinemaster. It was pretty similar to Movie Maker and easy for me to learn but I don't know if it is the best App for my purpose. If anybody knows of a better App for editing on the fly let me know.

7. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    I did discover one thing about Youtube. You can upload in 1080P but it doesn't necessarily mean that is what the youtube video is set at. Sometimes you have to go in and change the settings. That cleared up some of the problem but not all of it. It is kind of sad the Hero 6 will shoot at 4K but what good is it if you can't share it at that resolution?

8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Who makes KINEMASTER? I haven't heard of it. The only PC enabled editing platforms I'm familiar with are Premier and Sony's Catalyst suite. Does Avid have a pro-sumer editing product?

9. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Kinemaster is for use on a cell phone. I needed something that could edit videos on a cell phone and upload via phone service since I wanted to be able to edit on the fly. I realize there are several better editing software out there but as far as I know not many for a cell phone. GoPro has an editing app but it is very limited in what it will do. I mean if anybody knows of something better for the specific purpose of film editing when you do not have a laptop with you I will for sure look into it.

10. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    On most newer phones and tablets, KineMaster can support up to 1080p video directly. However, on some devices KineMaster is limited to 720p video due to hardware limitations. In most such cases, KineMaster will automatically offer to convert 1080p video to 720p when you add it to a project. As for the 4K videos, it is now possible to import 4K videos (with re-encoding) on the Snapdragon 820 chipset only. Currently, there is no chipset on the market that is powerful enough to support exportingin 4K, but we expect there may be some new phones in late 2017 that might be capable of it. (There is no technical limitation in KineMaster about it... internally, KineMaster already supports 4K, but there aren't any phones or tablets that are capable of it yet).

11. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I would check your export settings thoroughly. Exporting is very resource intensive, so you may be limited in what resolution you can export to OR it could be that there is a default set to a lower resolution to save on time rendering and you just need to change the default to a higher resolution.

12. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Thanks ValdostaGator, My phone is an older Samsung S5 it may not be capable of 1080p. I'll have to look into that.

13. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA

No problem. You could try something like http://moviemakeronline.com/ Make video, ad, advertisement, presentation, animation, slideshow with photos, clips and music., maybe it will keep the native resolution for the project. I've never used it, myself.

Here's what I would do if I didn't have a PC.. Check the GoPro to see if it has external storage, like and microSD card. If it has one, pop the one out of my phone and replace it with the one from the GoPro. Find an online service that allows 1080 uploading and rendering. Get on Wifi for your uploads and whatnot, because that would be a TON of data usage! It might take longer in the long run, but it may be a way to side skirt hardware limitations. Then when you export your video, find a cloud service or somewhere that will allow you to upload it in full quality.

14. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Thanks, good suggestion about the micro SD card. I've been experimenting with that. Had to upgrade the card in my phone because the slower card isn't compatible with the Hero6, The GoPro hero 6 takes a faster SD card because of the 4K mode. Anyway swapping SD cards back and forth is a whole lot quicker than pairing the two devices to transfer video.

• Agree Agree x 1