Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Very good showing in SECT

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by toddrl, Mar 16, 2019.

1. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    Nice to make some noise. Overall kids played hard, played well, were well prepared and left it on the court. Easy to nitpick some decisions, but that's bball. I think we've made some strides last 1/3 of season even with some bad losses. Looking ahead, we still need more roster balance and to develop an inside game. That will push us forward (hopefully) or set us back. Fingers crossed. Ready for NCAAT.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I was ok with us losing this game actually - there's very little chance of winning tomorrow, and decent likelihood of it being a big loss. As long as we have indeed secured our bid to the dance, we can use the extra rest.

Because of that, I'm a little disappointed we didn't lengthen our bench today. Okauru only played a few minutes, Ballard and Stokes not at all. I'm confused by that - give those guys some PT to see what they bring you in a high profile game, and don't wear your other guys out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Those guys were a terrible matchup for Auburn. We weren't intentionally trying to lose. Stokes can't keep up with their spacing and Ballard is too turnover prone. Okauru would have played more if he hadn't struggled in the second half.

That being said, I agree this is not a bad loss. An extra day of rest after playing three consecutive days is much better than one less rest day after playing four straight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I agree. Auburn's quickness would have been a disaster for Stokes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Proud of our kids.....played hard but Auburn was just draining their 3s. A lot were contested/defended but that's their game and the shooters were hot. Regardless, I think we showed any doubters left why we are heading to the big dance. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    2 or 3 fresh guys in the final 5 minutes could have sliced and diced.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    At this point, White doesn't trust Ballard which is why he should transfer to a mid-major unless he learns to play like Casey Prather did his senior year .

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Hopefully Mike wears a nice suit to the tourney!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Agree, I felt better about this loss than any other this season, despite the BS no call at the end. We took care of business, did what we needed to do to make the tourney. Now get some rest (since we only play 6-7 deep) and come out guns blazing on Thurs or Fri.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I am looking forward to next year, with Scottie, Tre parade all Americans, The 3 freshmen this year coming back with improvement, any bigs we can find to score on the inside, three new ones sound good to me. Buy a tournament pass and watch us launch into the stratosphere, this means winning the SECT then taking out Duke in the east regional. Final four, the talk of the tournament!
    * This is a follow up to this years showing.

11. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought Stokes would have been better on offense. I thought he would be better in the pick and roll. I would have brought him him for a couple minutes and maybe a couple of those TOS would have been baskets.

12. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    We will miss Hayes next year, he may be a liability on offense but is a force on defense. Bassett getting valuable playing time has been a plus, his game is showing his up side.

13. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    don't expect a couple of those guys back next year, though don't like losing guys from roster hoping it makes room for some quality bigs that can make us a solid contender in league and tournament

14. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Did you notice how many points he scored in the last 2 games?