Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Very Early Draft Projection

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorfan5220, Aug 21, 2019.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From the Bleacher Report has Tommy Mace as the 14th pick in the first round as well as 2020 recruit Zac Veen as the tenth overall pick. Veen is an Of.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    A whole lot of work to be done before this level is reached IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Veen is his last name. Pretty shocked to see Mace that high. Let's hope he has a season that is worthy of being the 14th pick overall.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, Veen.

Another projection had Leftwich at 24 in 1st.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would have Leftwich over Mace all day long

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Remember when thinking about the draft there are three times ability applies and only once is it Ability.

The other two are projectABILITY and signABILITY.

A players talents will get them drafted but scouts have to think they can project into more than they currently are and they have to be able to sign them. Also, if there is no way a player will sign for the "slot value" or "negotiated" price it does not matter how good the ABILITY is they will simply move on to the next guy.

It is a crazy thing called the draft. I know of a high school player from the state of Florida who turned down a top 5 offer and took less money to go in the top 10 so that he could have the majority of his minor league career in the state of Florida. SignABILITY is not just will they take the money. Some guys have different criteria and will make educated decisions on what suits them the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    In looking up video on Veen he would be a huge addition to the UF roster - as he is a left handed hitting outfielder with great speed. Certainly would be nice to get him on campus.

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

23--

Spot on--signability over everything else--the MLB organizations never, ever want to be made to look bad, wrong, under-informed, or having spent their money unwisely. They will most always take a sure sign over any higher talent draft that is a risk to get signed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I will also add that we are not getting Veen. He will be drafted and go. As nice as it would be he is a 6'4 corner outfield prospect that is a left handed bat and the pro guys are all over the projectABILITY and I think the signABILITY will be there. I do not want to sound like a downer but have heard too much that this kid wants to be a pro. Would like to get him but do not think it is happening.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    That’s why it’s not advisable to read Bleacher Report for MLB draft info. Does anyone see him going higher than Faedo, Singer and Kowar? Me neither.

Baseball America ranked him the #14 college prospect. Throw in HS and JUCO guys and that might push him to round 2; a bit more reasonable... but only a “bit”.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  11. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    We are quite aware that any top ten projected recruit is a goner.

That said Hunter Barco, who two ranking services had as the overall 4th pick, is really a surprise.

12. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    That’s like Jeff Francouer back in the early 2000s. The homegrown Georgia boy said if anyone other than the Braves draft me, I’m going to play safety at Clemson

• Like Like x 2
  13. salt72

salt72 Recruit

Sep 29, 2019
    Barco lacked in sign ability to a certain extent., He slid past where he wanted to go and money is not a huge deal to the family. He had a position and a number in mind and once it got past there he turned down some teams and money close to what Allen took.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I would advise a position player kid with legit MLB potential to go straight from HS to the pros. It is very unlikely that they will screw you up playing a lot of ball. It would probably speed up your development.

On the other hand I think that pitching prospects would do better going to college and then something like Cape Cod League for the summer. 18 year old arms may be able to sling a 90+ mph fastball, but I doubt that many have enough durability at that age especially if their mechanics are not perfect. Lots of live arms go to the minor leagues to die. And developing the secondary pitches that put a lot of stress on the arm should happen slowly and not all at once.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Exactly Lurk—

Position players introduced to the 142 game milb schedule grind is completely different from an 18 yr old arm jumping from a 2 1/2 month long 40+ game schedule to a ST + March to September 142 game schedule where you get the ball every 5th game....

• Like Like x 1
  16. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I understand what you guys are saying but my opinion is the exact opposite. Let's take a HS drafted position player from say pick 15 down as an example. The player will probably not get out of rookie or even instructs that first year. Maybe A ball if they are really good. That has no comparison to playing at a school like UF. Travel by bus (minors) or fly (UF). Strength and nutritional provided at UF will be far better. Opportunity to "grow up" as an 18 year old kid and make your own decisions for the first time at UF. You will also have an extra layer of protection as the coaching staff will still hold you accountable at school. Pro staffs are not the same in that regard. Not to mention he will make life long relationships that will serve him throughout life vs playing with half a team who can barely speak your language if at all.

For a pitcher, these days it is not if you will have arm problems it is when you will have arm problems. Take the money and run. Most of the HS pitchers who get drafted are on a nightly pitch count and are eased into the system. Take Tyler Owens this year. He completed his first season of pro ball and his pitch count per game was 60. They put him there and stayed with it all season. That number was less than it was for him in HS.

I do understand what you guys are saying but the fear for a pitcher getting hurt is more than a position guy for me in today's world. Also consider a guy like India and his journey. Had he gone out of HS he probably would have ended up at the same level at the same time. HE spent his time at UF and almost immediately was in AA ball. Had he gone out of HS he probably would have arrived at AA level at same time frame but his time at UF was far better quality of life.

Just my two cents. Not trying to stir the pot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    23—

No pot stirring, just a good discussion. Valid points to each way it’s looked at.
    Everyone (or every family) has their own decisions to make—personally I think HS signees ought to be the ones that have no desire or drive to further their education—there are players out there that go to school only to play themselves into academic ineligibility—sad, yes—but true.

When I look at this topic I seem to always go back to the stat that is in both NCAA and MLB books—HS signs that make it up to the MLB level and “stick” for 8 years or better=5%. College signs, same criteria=67%. Neither is a given, just the statistical probability.

Again, I prefer to see guys go the college route—but IF they have no desire to be in school I think they are better off to go ahead and sign out of HS and get started.

• Agree Agree x 1