Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

VERY different article about the perception of national "disrespect" towards Florida Football 2019.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Oct 8, 2019.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I don't want, nor do I care, about "love" from the media. One of the beautiful things about playing in the SEC is you can do it all on the field and there is no need to attract "the love" from media outlets or media in general. You win, You're In!. And, love us or hate us, the media has no effect on that.

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
  3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

And I get that but what I do appreciate about this article is that the author actually brought factual data into the conversation that backed up his claim should Florida beat lsu.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Where a guy without a vote ranks us isn't particularly meaningful...

Side note: the whole "wins over top-10 teams in consecutive weeks" thing strikes me as pretty arbitrary, given that it's extremely dependent on how the SEC builds the conference schedule. The last time we even played top-10 teams in consecutive weeks was 2011, when we played #3 Alabama and #1 LSU (although Towson was ranked 10th when we beat them two weeks ago ;)). It just doesn't happen that often, even in the SEC. In 2007, we played #1 LSU and #8 Kentucky with a bye week in between. We typically get a bye before UGA, so that eliminates a lot of opportunities. The closest I can find to us pulling it off was 1994, playing #7 FSU and #3 Alabama in consecutive weeks; we beat Bama, and didn't lose to FSU...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The "media" has progressively become worse as a product. I tried following national opinions until a couple weeks ago. They're all kowtowing to the stronger voices within their core audiences, be it the "local" teams/conferences or an overarching cynicism towards anything not the status quo.

My first remembrances of this bias was back when Brian Brohm was playing for Louisville, when they were in the top 10, and the announcers were very emphatic (nearly ever play) that his throws were Heisman-quality or NFL-quality or Best-in-the-NCAA quality. It was the first time I recall the announcers lobbying for a player to get national recognition. It has become much more overt in the decade that's past.

At the end of a UCF game earlier this year, following their win against Stanford and before our kickoff with Kentucky, their announcer concluded with, "UCF is the best team in the state of Florida. I don't think anyone doubts that now." That is exactly how public perception is created. The media wants to scoff off their influence when everyone else recognizes that, besides the United States government, they're the most powerful entity on planet Earth. BTW, now that UCF has lost two games, I do not remember any retractions.

The point is, the mass media (TV, Newspapers) have been trending towards more of a blogger-type of inflammatory, grandiose opinions ("hot takes") to desperately grab at attention due to their receding market share. Even articles, like the one posted, acts in a kind of self-serving, "look at me, my opinion is still relevant" tripe. I long for the days when information could be presented without the need for these footnotes.

ALSO:

"It’s because the LSU offense just ripped off the best 5-game start in SEC history."

I had to laugh at that. Yes, a five-game stretch that includes one SEC team, and a historic bottom-dweller at that, and one team not even in the FBS.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't care about the media attention right now either. If we keep winning, it will come.

But as far as the perception of where we are now, I think the bigger problem is the perception of who we've beaten. Miami is 0-3 against P5 opponents, UK, who looked impressive, is 0-3 and Tennessee's 1-4 including a loss to Georgia State. Not 1 of those teams has beaten a P5 opponent.

Auburn was the first quality opponent and yes we won convincingly, but with 4 turnover and an inept offensive showing, I think in the media's perception, this game exposed Auburn. Plus, we had 4 turnovers and didn't look overly impressive and still couldn't run the ball. Net effect is that I don't think Florida impressed the media.

Now we have LSU and truth be told, I don't think the media is going to be overly impressed if we beat them. Personally, I think LSU is a paper tiger and I think this game will expose them as such.

LSU is 75th in the country in rushing and their defense is giving up almost 19 points per game, despite playing a weak schedule. Their only respectable win was against Texas where they game up 38 points and 409 yards passing. They gave up 33 points to Vandy.

Yes Burrow is good and he deserves the praise he's gotten. He's having a great season. But this game, in my opinion, is not a good match-up for LSU. The real strength of their offense is going up against one of the best passing defenses in the country. It's a defense that gives up less than 10 points per game. A defense that gives up less than half the number of points per game as LSU's defense.

The point being that even IF we win, I think the perception is likely to be that LSU wasn't as good as everybody thought, as opposed to UF is a real contender. People will realize that this LSU defense just isn't anywhere close to the defenses people associate with LSU. And that without a decent running game, Burrow is a good but not great QB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    The root cause of much of this is the slow but steady erosion of good journalism and impartial professionalism.

With a lack of journalistic skill, professionalism and mental articulation many “reporters and commentators” simply yield to a verbally abusive minority who wield their shallow uninformed opinions in order to bully their peers.

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

We need to beat Bama in the SEC Championship to be considered all the back and return ourselves back to the pantheon of elite teams. Beating LSU, which teams usually do 1-3 times a year does not mean you are elite. Let's take care of LSU and then we have our biggest monster UGA coming up. We win 2 out of those 3(UGA, AU and LSU) and get to the Sugar Bowl versus a top 10 opponent and I would consider this season a gigantic success.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't think this kind of media bias can be compared to news media bias, but generally I agree with what you're saying. The perception is created by the hype.

The difference is that I think the agenda for these announcers is to hype up the crappy lower tier games to try to increase ratings. I don't think you hear that kind of over-the-top hype for SEC games or games involving top-10 teams. It's more about marketing.

I guess you could say the same thing about CNN and Fox News creating news to pander to their audiences, so maybe it is the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The media anoints offensive production, regardless of who it comes against, and dismisses defensive production. You don't get Heisman winners on the defensive side of the ball in this day and age. I do not expect to be hyped by the media, we haven't done what they are looking for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. lawgator1

lawgator1 Freshman

Nov 13, 2018
    Florida really has not done enough to merit a claim to top tier status, playoff ranking, love from the media, etc. We beat Auburn, yes, but at home. Although we have an offense capable of big play scoring, we do not have an offense that can run the ball effectively. As a result, we are either three and out, or a big play to set up a score.

The Alabamas, Clemsons, and Ohio States of the world can grind out a drive when they need to. 70 yards in 14 plays, taking 6 minutes off the clock. We cannot do that, and until we can, and with some consistency, we don't deserve in my opinion to be talked about in the same category as those teams.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  12. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Beat your opponent by one point and it's a win.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Exactly why I spend my Saturday mornings watching English Premier League. Though I will turn over to SECN from time to time (only pregame show worth watching at all). The rest is a bunch of hot takes and hot air.

• Like Like x 1
  14. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Guy writes an accurate article and it doesn't count because "the media" is crap.
    Got news for ya. Some of it is, and some of it isn't. Good reporting happens and be glad for it, instead of lumping everything one box. That is ideological herd mentality.
    If you don't like what I say, look in the mirror after you hand me the bacon, bud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorbite00

gatorbite00 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Port Orange
    College Football should be this. Did you Win the Game. Not how Pretty the Game Looked. A WIN is a WIN. The Gators take their Lunch Pails to work. Not a Nice Bow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So....LSU has done enough to merit 'top tier' status?

Let's get real about a few facts.
    The only team LSU has beaten with a pulse is Texas.
    Texas is currently 121 in Pass Defense & 93rd in Total D.
    The next best? team they beat is Vandy.
    (Even though Utah State has a better record)
    Vandy is currently 124th in Defensive Efficiency
    109th in Pass Defense and 120th in Total Defense.
    Coincidentally, both Texas & Vandy scored 38 points on LSU.

If you watched that Utah State game, it was 7-6 after the 1st Qtr.
    Sadly, State's WR's gave up after they were tackled a few times.
    But LSU was rattled by an effective passing attack..for a good while.

Georgia Southern W, 55-3
    at No. 9 Texas W, 45-38
    Northwestern State W, 65-14
    at Vanderbilt* W, 66-38
    Utah State W, 42-6

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  17. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    To be fair, Auburn likely has the best DL in the country. We will not face anyone better than their front four.

I agree that our running game is bad and while we cannot establish a balanced offense, we have faced two teams in the top-25 in rushing defense (#7, #25). We average 4.9 yards per rush against every other opponent.

18. Blazergator

Blazergator Senior

Apr 10, 2007
    Good article with strong points. I actually want to wait until we beat UGA to move to the #1 spot. If we have victories over Auburn, LSU on the road, USCe on the road and UGA it will be tough to argue that a 9-0 UF isn't the best team in the country. And how satisfying would it be to beat UGA to move into the top spot?! For now, let's beat LSU and then move on to USCe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... FAKE NEWS... :rolleyes: What's new, they hate the Gators.

20. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

Wasn't it Oklahoma that had the best offense in college football history in 08 when the Gators dismantled them on national tv for all the marbles? Didn't the media all declare that they were going to run up and down the field against Florida? I think the Gator defense is going to do what they have to do to keep the score down and the Gator offense is going to be proficient and win the game on the road in baton rouge. I see a disdain for the Gators by most of the media and they have gotten away from objective reporting. They are just like the weather channel.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1