Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Vandy Whistler

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Kirby, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Kirby

Kirby GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    Ranks right up there with the whorechant. Hard to watch the game with that annoying crap going on every pitch. It will keep me from going to Nashville to see a game in the future.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jdodge

jdodge Senior

Feb 25, 2017
    It’s hard to watch on tv. Kyle Petersen made a comment about it the other night about it being “tired and it has run its course”. He was trying to be polite about it. His counterpart said he did not want to acknowledge it. I guess they heard that and decided to want to be heard even more.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorfan17

gatorfan17 Junior

Oct 29, 2017
    They’re crying for help. If they don’t win at baseball when will they win next?
    Football: No
    Basketball: No
    W Basketball: Not Likely
    Softball: They don’t even have a team.
    Baseball Next Year: Maybe?

Just proves it’s great to be a Florida Gator!! :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Their bskball will be good next year

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. gatorfan17

gatorfan17 Junior

Oct 29, 2017
    They might be good but not better than us, there will be a couple of teams ahead of them in the SEC. Still far from a national championship level team.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    I have a Vandy friend and alumnus that hates it. I’ve also read on their message board many posters that hate it too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How long has this been going on and...how bad is it?

Is there any precedent to situations being like this being banned?

8. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    They have a good tennis program.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Noah_Brindise

Noah_Brindise Senior

Oct 28, 2014
    In the spoiler I copied a mods post from one of their boards and it's entirely on point.

I've had a first-hand look for 15 years at how the program works. It's not perfect, but I have tons of respect for how Tim does things and how players conduct themselves. The players graduate, they treat people with respect, they work hard and they attain success at a high level every year, and often, at the highest level possible, or pretty close to it.

No person or organization is perfect, but, they are about as close to it as any organization I've been around to any degree. And yeah, that includes me knowing some of the ugly things about it that sometimes never made an article or a message board or whatever. Even with those things, I have an incredible respect for how that program is run.

There's a magnetism about the program that transcends a lot of things, and it's why Tim has been able to build fans from people who previously cared nothing about Vanderbilt, or baseball, and certainly not Vanderbilt baseball.

And if you wanted to put the best of Vanderbilt on a pedestal for the world to see, even with the warts, it might well be what Tim has built.

And do you know what the whistlers do? They detract from EVERY BIT of that.

The time that TV people could be spending talking about the players they've had in the pros, or about how Tim built something from nothing, or about a beautiful ballpark and facility, instead gets siphoned off talking about the whistlers.

The fans that VU could be gaining, or the positive exposure that Vanderbilt could be getting from just showing the world what the baseball program is, instead gets upstaged by the whistler sideshow.

The talk in the press box last night wasn't about what was such an unusual game with high stakes. It was about the whistlers, and how much everybody hates it, and, why won't Vanderbilt do something about it?

And on top of it, you have a pretty good story of juniors like Chandler Day and others who endured so much to get here, and whether they get out of a super or not, it's a good story, and those kids deserve their time in the sun for that. But nobody's talking about that, either.

And instead of the magnetism that attracts people, those two guys are singlehandedly turning Vanderbilt into a program that a lot of people hate.

I know Vanderbilt's put in a difficult spot with all this, and there's not a handbook for dealing with it. But I can't imagine any other setting where this was allowed.

Can you imagine going to the movies, or a restaurant, or a concert, where two people are allowed to single-handedly ruin the experiences of the paying customers around them? And you have the TV ratings on top of that.

I'm all for personal freedom and liberties and such, but there gets to be a critical point that the absurdity of what's happening out-weighs all that. We're way past that now.

Vanderbilt can't ignore this any longer. It's not just a fan experience thing, it's KILLING their brand.

I'll be interested to see what happens when there's finally an AD change.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jdodge

jdodge Senior

Feb 25, 2017
    I agree with that assessment. It turns everybody off, even their own fans. You can tell the announcers are doing their best to not say “shut the f$&@ up”!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    It's not as bad as those damn cowbells to me.

Weird, kind of Sounds like an injured bird.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    National Champion Women's Bowling Team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Just the preverbal spoiled 4-year old--wants all the attention--never played the game nor cares about the game--

Really needs a belt across that a$$ and sat in the corner--but that's just me--

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    [​IMG]

found this picture of his Mom

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Turn the sound off on your TV. I do every time we play baseball at Vandy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. WARRIORG8R

WARRIORG8R Premium Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Longwood, Florida
    Had no idea this was 2 specific guys. I thought it was some kind of stupid Vandy tradition. Seems like an easy solution to me. I’ve been to MLB games where ushers ask hecklers to stop, and then with no second warning remove them from the ballpark. If Vandy wanted to put a stop to it, they would.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    operable word being IF

18. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    It's freaking annoying. I watched the last two games and just turned the volume down so it's a faint barrage of whistles. I can't imagine being at the game and having to listen to it for the ENTIRE game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    They are enablers!!! Maybe he can whistle from the couch!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I was watching the Vandy / MSU game yesterday...for about 5 minutes. The whistle was so annoying I changed the channel.

• Agree Agree x 2