Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Vandy attendance today

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UF67ee, Nov 23, 2019.

1. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    other than baseball and sometimes men's basketball, is Vandy SEC-competitive in any NCAA sport? Why do they stay? Why does the SEC keep them other than academic reputation?

2. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    Why the dislike? I can see not agreeing, but I'd at least like to hear your take on it.

From my point of view, we're going to have 14 teams in the SEC, so it isn't like the money they get is ever coming back our way. It would just be another team taking it. What difference does having Vandy make to us? It's a fun away game, Vandy is a charter member with an interesting history, and it's pretty much always a W. I don't see why Vandy being in bothers folks that much.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. eightiesgator

eightiesgator Junior

Oct 16, 2017
    Makes me wonder why Dartmouth and Georgetown aren't members. I smell politics...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If I had wanted a smart a** answer I would have asked for it. My questions were ones designed to encourage discussion, not snark.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Swamp55

Swamp55 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Tampa
    FYI: The "announced attendance" for that game was 19,863. (Late-arriving crowd, I guess.)

6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

UNC fans would revolt if they left the ACC (hoops). But NC State would make that jump tomorrow.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Both schools desperately wanted in, but the SEC turned them down. ;)

8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I watched a few minutes of the Auburn/Samford game and their crowd was very small too. Even the prime seats right up next the field were maybe 25 percent filled at most, yet the official announced attendance (which is based on ticket sales, not actual attendance) was over 80K.

But in fairness to these teams, it was late season cupcake games and the weather was really miserable Saturday. I don't mind them early in the season, but these end-of-season cupcake games don't really have any value whatsoever.

9. merinker

merinker Senior

May 28, 2019
    They just won the national championship in baseball. They’ve had good teams in basketball. They won’t get booted.

10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Not sure about the guy who left the dislike on your post, but, for me, it doesn't bother me at all that they are in our conference. A win is a win. But, my original question was aimed toward why Vanderbilt would want to stay in the conference rather than go somewhere else where they could be more competitive.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  11. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    That's an easy question. Where else could they make the kind of money they make being a doormat in the SEC?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I guess that's maybe what it comes down to, but, regular bowl appearances and a few fans in the stands might help to offset that some.

13. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't think Vandy really cares all that much about their athletics programs. 10-15 years ago, they were actually looking at shutting down their athletics completely. But I think they decided it brought too much money and national exposure to the school.

Personally, I like having a few schools like Vandy and Mississippi State in the conference. I've never understood the people who call for the SEC to kick them out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    bowling

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    Vandy has beaten Tennessee like 3 times in succession and they have frequently fielded good, competitive teams. This year, they are having trouble, which can happen anywhere.

They are AAU and actually care about Academics, unlike almost all of their SEC Competitors.

Roughly 75-95% of any given Student Population cares little, if any about American Football, it's usually older people who either lack much of interest in their lives or who have too much time (like me) who are most concerned about such silly things.

• Like Like x 1
  16. merinker

merinker Senior

May 28, 2019
    It’s 12 days a year. I’m not sure what that has to do with “lacking much of interest in their lives” is supposed to mean. 12 days of the year watching a 3 hour football game really doesn’t take much time out of other interests I have.

17. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    About twice as many as Florida states last game.

18. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    While I do agree that if I had a choice of being proud about my school for their academics or for their sports performance, I would pick academics every time. Vandy should be proud of their academics. But, you're saying that students don't care about American football... as opposed to what, Australian Rules Football? And, I think you're numbers are way too high unless you have a basis for them. I also don't think only old people care about football. I see tens of thousands of young people at every Gator game and they're pretty much all having a great time.