Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

vaccination

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by missourigator, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I can only tell you that I got it when it was available to my age group. I took the Pfizer, but would have also taken the Moderna. The J&J vaccine is formulated to work much differently and has been shown to be less effective, so I decided to reject that if it was my only choice. Do I think I would survive a Covid19 infection? Its almost 100% likely, but there is no way to be sure. However, as a runner, I prefer* not to have potential lung scarring that could further reduce my 60yo lung capacity. It really is a personal health choice based on your own unique situation.

*I say prefer because life is a contact sport and as the famous Gump once said: "you never know what you're going to get."

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    I promise I do this not to be political but as a PSA:
    I am not for mandates to be clear but to answer the question there are several things. One is as you already said, even with the vaccine you are not completely protected; we've had numerous positives in vaccinated patients and while very few of them are being hospitalized it can still be a severe illnesss. Also, the longer covid hangs around in high numbers the more chances that eventually we get a variant that is catastrophically lethal.
    The bigger issue is not the do or do not vaccinate, however. It is that the non-vaccinated also decided that they could take off the masks and blow all precautions to the wind. That is why Florida is currently leading the way with new cases. My ICUs are now back to overflowing, predominantly with covid and that is a growing picture in the state. This once again puts pressure on our system and inhibits the ability to treat other illness. AND with the delta variant it is increasingly folks in their 30s and younger that are getting on the vent and are not likely to recover.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    A couple of months ago I hate a client come in without her mask on and proudly claim "I got the vaccine, I don't have to wear the mask!!"

I cringed. I think a lot of people WILL throw caution to the wind because the vaccine is giving them a false sense of security. Loosening restrictions is also giving the unvaccinated a false sense of security like this thing is over. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard "I am so over this COVID thing", I would retire.

Thank you all for the honest discussion.

/End thread hijack

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1big_mfer

1big_mfer Junior

Dec 13, 2013
    Very interesting.

5. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    To be completely frank, once the vaccine was readily available for all of us, my “caring whether others got a vaccine” dropped to a minimum. There is plenty of real data out there. People will choose to believe what they believe.
    The only thing that even makes me care a little is that some folks can’t get vaccines for real medical reasons, and they need others who can to become immune so they won’t spread it to them. This is with just about everything vaccine.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I made it in

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The surge in new Florida cases couldn’t possibly be due to the stampede of out of state cars rolling in and out on I-95 and I-75 could it?

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ok @swampbabe , if you’re gonna give me the ‘come on man’ then at least explain why. We drove to SC last weekend and the traffic both ways was insane. Damn near all plates from northern states. I-95 near our house in Daytona is a freaking parking lot almost 24/7. Everybody coming down 95 to grab I-4 to the mouse. You don’t think this impacts Florida Covid cases??

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Contribute? Sure. Solely responsible? No. Our vaccination rate in this state is nothing to crow about and that is Florida residents.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

and who said ‘solely responsible’?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    “Due to the stampede” seems to indicate your argument. If that’s not what you meant, apologies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

point taken - it does read that way. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I75 is no better....expect at least one mile or five delay between Wildwood and G'ville if you roll through there between dawn and dusk on a Sat or Sun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It’s nuts right now - all these people getting out for the first time in a year and a half and all heading to Florida. As for Covid cases, they spiked after bike week and also after speed weeks here in Daytona. This shit isn’t hard to figure out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    JNJ is still better then no vaccine at all. Secondly, I also have my doubts about these studies when it comes to JNJ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I got J&J about two days before the clotting news broke. I wanted Pfizer but at the spot I went to in California J&J was all they had and there was no way to know what would be available. I'm 41 and somewhat in between as far as these vaccines and the risk involved since they're all so new. The J&J technology having been around so long helped me over the hump rather than wait for a Pfizer appointment.

I‘ve been in Hong Kong all July and the way they’ve dealt with Covid here is impressive. There isn’t an extreme emphasis on vaccination (they’re advertising vaccines relentlessly but adoption has been slow, they're at 30% vaxxed). Instead, mandatory outdoor mask wearing, testing and quarantining at all ports of entry and constant testing of the populace has yielded wonderful results.

This is an INCREDIBLY dense city, very much like Manhattan and yet somehow they've managed a system where Covid is nearly non-existent through RIGOROUS testing, social distancing, mask wearing, border control in the form of compulsory testing and quarantine. That got them through 2020 and as of about January mask wearing outdoors and on public transit/in cars is mandatory but once indoors there is no mask mandate (odd I know, but it works, I've had some of the best meals in quite a long time here completely mask free). You scan an app on the way in for contact tracing purposes in case someone test positive after the fact but then once you're sat you're good to go (they even give you an envelope to put your mask in while you dine).

It's been a truly remarkable thing to see coming from LA. Takes a fully compliant populace to pull off and extreme organization at a government level, which... yeah, that part is complicated here. But hot damn, once you're out of quarantine it really is like life without Covid.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I hope the Gator Football team can get to the 80 or 85 % range. Primarily, because we are a 'team' and we can't afford to have people sitting at home during important games. The argument about vaccines in general is more complicated. To be vaccinated or not to be vaccinated? I'm kind of 'pro vaccine' for team sports specifically because if key players are out it sucks.

I miss Florida. This Cal Marxist experiment is nuts. Pretty though. As soon as my knees or hips give out and I can't ski in the Eastern Sierra's anymore, I'll come back home.

I got vaccinated. No big deal. Second one was tough.

My sister got covid in Fla. She's 70. Three days of crappiness and then it passed. Brother is not vaccinated at 67.While I fall in the age category that's at risk, I swim 8 to 10k yards a week now and am in decent shape. I did it for the family. Kids in High School. People jog out here with masks on empty streets. o_O I wanna get out of my car and smack them. In a loving way of course...

Speaking about swimming. Caleb Dressel. Dudes...guy's sick. :eek:Gold #1! Couldn't find a thread on him.

Go Gators.;)

• Like Like x 6
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This should be in Too Hot to fully explore an honest debate...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Protecting the port of entry is such a huge part of it. Hawaii was doing so good because very early they instituted mandatory 2 week isolation in a hotel to deter people from coming as tourists. If they still came, they got a card to their room which only opened their door 1 time. If they got locked out of the room they were reported to the police and were fined. We were one of the lowest positive states until they opened it back up. It’s easy to have that kind of thing when you’re an island though. As a country, it’s a little harder (See southern border). I get Hong Kong isn’t an island, but it’s still not compared to our situation in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    BURY IT IN TOO HOT!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.