Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

V-Lo & radar guns

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by jhfxof, Jun 25, 2023.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Anyone else catch Ben McDonald discussing this over weekend on xm?

Ive never been sold on "everyone throws 100 now" and he confirmed my suspicions.

Basically todays guns pick up ball right out of Ps hand. In Bens era the guns picked up ball about half way. And in Nolan Ryans era it was when ball crossed plate.

Per science/Ben, ball will lose 9-10 mph from time released until time it crosses plate.

He mentioned Ryan still has highest mph on ball as it crossed plate at 101. And he would basically be sitting at 110-111 on todays guns..lol

So if wanting to compare guys today to ones before them subtract 5-10 mph, pending which era youre comparing.

This also explains why the same pitcher can throw 5-7 mph harder depending the venue.. I guess some still use the older model guns.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I also dont buy a lot of the stat track numbers,, but a diffrent discussion..lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I’ve had this same conversation with Alan and he agrees with Ben McDonald’s explanation of how the different guns measure differently.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    He mentioned the new guns are called the 'Stalker'. Im wondering/guessing if they arent in conjuction w/ all the new stat tracker technology now. Picks up ball as soon as leaves hand/bats..??

The tv boys are facisnated w/ saying the mph every pitch, even though its also on screen every pitch. .. I guess Big Ben wsant buying it.

You should here Jim Palmers opinion/discrediting of stat tracker numbers during Os games..lol He refuses to buy todays guys better than his era.. and I tend to agree

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. landogator22

landogator22 Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa Bay
    Even though he’s an LSU homer, I’d still prefer to have Big Ben doing the color commentary for our games. IMO, he’s the best out there and actually calls the game fairly both ways, probably even more so to counter act anyone saying he’s biased. Either way he calls it as he sees it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I agree 100%, he’s country and so am so I’m sure his approach and descriptions match up well to me. If you’ve never heard him do an Orioles game it’s worthwhile to say the least.

About 16 to 20 ago Kyle Peterson used to be good in the TV booth. However IMHO the people that he’s been paired with over the last 15 years have really drug him down. Laziness is contagious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Big Ben was tutored in the booth by Lynn Rollins(one of the best imo). Where he picked up a lot of his sayings/descriptions. aka country-isms...lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. landogator22

landogator22 Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa Bay
    MLB or College I think Ben gives the best baseball insight and also tells great stories.

Obviously the timing isn’t the best right now to say this but, Lyn Rollins and Big Ben sure make a game entertaining to listen to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Rollins was doing a lot of AU home games on app this year before he was sidelined.. and still was doing LSU as well.. Not sure the dynamics there, but not complaining. Guess hes more of a 'free agent' now..??

One of funniest in game discusions Ive ever heard,, was when Jim Palmer mentioned hes never eaten a chicken wing, and Bens questioning of this.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    9 10 mph difference is too high. I think more 4-5, but that makes 100 to 95.

11. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    4-5 from 5-10 years ago yeah(half way to plate).. In 70s early 80s.. closer to the 10..per what he was saying.

it either loses 10 mph or it doesnt.. I assume he verified the science before advertising it..lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    This is the best thread I've read on GC in a long time, maybe ever. Really smart takes, i.e. opinions, with debatable facts to back them up. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I've read that they lose about 7mph, but a lot of that is going to depend on atmospheric conditions, altitude, etc. The Stalker is a doppler radar and supposed to be much more accurate than the old guns. Even modern JUGS guns are said to measure 3mph or so higher than a Stalker. It'd be interesting to compare a Stalker to an 80s era gun. It could very well be that the 80s guns were showing 7mph faster than a current Stalker. Definitely would be a fun experiment to see done.

All the new advanced stats in sports is interesting and I think certainly helps with viewer engagement, but I take a lot of it with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Good thing is - all of these are on video. All you would need to do it time the ball leaving his hand into the catcher's mitt and compare generations. I'm pretty confident that now, as with every sport on the planet, that pitchers are faster than they were 40 years ago (most are stronger, faster, more skilled with every generation, for a variety of reasons). Thinking Nolan Ryan would throw 110 mph now is very wishful thinking, at best. Pitchers just pitch faster now. That's one of the reasons why batting averages in MLB are down for example.

15. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007

He did also mention there are 2 types of stalker guns now, but never said the difference.

I agree would like to see it all for myself, but if im going to trust anyone on it hes near the top.

And yeah a lot of these stats now dont fly w/ me.

This is just my theory on pitchers v-lo.. but ive noticed these guys also dont seem to be losing much v-lo after 100 pitches in either.. Im wondering if that has something to do w/ how the mph is tracked now also. Would the ball come out of hand at same speed when tired, but not have the same vlo halfway there as when not tired??

I know todays guy bigger stronger, etc, but also know what throwing 100 pitches over 2 hours makes your arm feel like...lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    More of them now.. but hardest throwers now not harder than hardest throwers 40 years ago IMO.

Im confident Ryan hit 101 on a gun that tracked as crossed plate(only gunjs they had).. What that registers on todays gun, I can only take what I heard.. and if anyone other than McDonald said it I wouldnt of given it much credence.

Did Ben make up the science of ball losing 9-10 mph before it gets to plate? no idea but doubtful. That alone w/ explanation of when each gun picks up ball makes the numbers add up IMO. half way there 5 mph slower. all the way there 10 mph slower.

17. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    But I do agree Nolan wasnt throwing 111. he was throwing 101..lol

Why I dont buy every other guy today hitting 100,,bc in reality they aint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    like i said, all anyone would need to do it time the pitch from hand to mitt. Ryan's would have to be 10% faster, which is incredibly significant. wonder if anyone has done that, since the videos are obviously all available

19. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    No idea.. but Im sure there are older guns still around they could use on todays guys that give same answer. Lets see if anyone is maintaining 100 mph at plate

I have no problem accepting that Ryan was a freak of nature though. Maybe even more so than the science of it all..lol

JR Richard, Gibson, Feller all up there too from the way back eras.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1