Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Utah Doesn't Concern Me, The Gators Offense Does

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Aug 30, 2022.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r All American

Dec 11, 2018
    I do think Utah's offense is their strength and, particularly, Rising. However, their defense is not my concern. I expect the Gators will stop themselves, IF there's a problem. I fully expect crowd noise and heat and humidity will be against the Utes, and the environment is why we have a decent chance in this contest. We ought to be able to dominate, as our offensive line is much bigger than their defense (which is relatively smaller than SEC defensive players). If I am right about the environment, we should win in the fourth quarter. I am not suggesting this will be a cakewalk. BUT if the Gators offense can execute (which is my biggest concern), I see the score being close. If AR finds his rhythm, Utah will leave with a loss. If the Gators lose it will be due to a nominal performance offensively! I am including an article that inspired this thread. Gentlemen and ladies, your thoughts?

First look: Utah

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Unfortunately, I think Florida has to score 27 or more during regulation. Can they? We shall see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator VIP Member

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    We will score at least 42

• Like Like x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Their offense is legit. No idea what our defense is capable of. Have to believe we have upgraded on scheme alone.

Their defense doesn't concern me but as you said, our offense does. The homer in me can't see us losing this game because of talent, home field, coaching emphasis on discipline and Utahs history on the road.

Reality is we have two teams totally unfamiliar with each other, an early season game which are are usually sloppy and we are trotting out brand new scheme changes so who knows what to expect.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    What is it about the Gator offense that concerns you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Premium Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I feel like I am the only one left who hates advanced stats and analytics. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In all the pregame sports talk shows I've heard, the legitimacy of Utah is unquestioned. Both sides of the ball. And I don't doubt it one bit. They are getting a lot of love nationally.

What I haven't heard discussed at all is depth. In this game they need to have equally as great players on the bench. That's where the heat and humidity can begin to take a toll.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think we slow down the game (Napier style) with
    our running game and keep their offense off the field.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Whelp, statistics, prognostications and yapping this game up will finally transform into gridiron action Saturday at 7:00PM in the Swamp!! Gotta love that. Prime Time in the Florida Swamp!

Under new leadership, at home, with some decent execution, we certainly can pull this off. It won't be easy, but why the heck should it be?

I can hear the Gator band in the background already. Hear the drums? That, my friends, is music to our Gator ears.:)

Go Gators!:eek::D

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  11. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Glad you shared that @gatormonk . . . the PhD guy posts some very interesting things!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. doctorg8r

doctorg8r All American

Dec 11, 2018
    I'm assuming you're serious, although I wondered if you were joking around. Several things concern me: AR's second start; small volume of passes (39 completions out of 66 attempts, I think); first game to loosen kinks out on the #7 team; wide receiver's need to make plays; etc. The offensive line and running backs don't concern me. The Gators will only do as well as the quarterback and receiver's. The defense will do enough, but will the offense execute, get first downs, and score touchdowns. If the game comes down to winning by a field goal, that's VERY CONCERNING! The day will be long, if our offense makes the defense stay on the field. The Gators can no longer play football as in the past. In other words, the offense has to play an exceptional game (which is possible); and they cannot make critical turnovers. That will take the crowd out of the game, and Utah will probably convert turnovers into points. So, many offensive and defensive questions have to be answered; and our offense has to click. Am I safe in asking, other than Trask, have I seen that in a LONG WHILE?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    It's interesting but worthless given our new staff, personnel and schemes though wouldn't you say? What exactly translates from last year for us given a new coach, offensive/defensive schemes and some key personnel?

The biggest take away if any is they like to use their tight ends and some of our remaining defenders have not done well against that but again, that also disregards thr new coaching and purported talent infusion like James and a few others.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. lizardface

lizardface GC Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    I generally agree and especially agree with the FG situation as I have not heard a lot of positive things there. Turnovers are always the issue and there is nothing different here than any other game. If we turn it over we will lose - but so will anyone. I would push back on the RB (not the o-line). I think we are far more experiened on the line and if we are bigger and faster great (I have not seen the numbers on this). However, I see a lot of potential with RBs but no one in the group has consistently perfromed at this levl. The sunbelt transfer played well but in the sunbelt. Very big differene here. The UM transfer never panned out there and while I am hoping he surprises us I am not taking that as a given. Something was going on that kept a five star recruit off the field and/or underperfoming at Miami. No idea what it was but clearly something was amiss. While you are certainly right about the passing game opening the running game that is not Napier's traditional style of attack. I think you will see us trying to do the opposite - dominate on the O-line, run, and then start throwing downfield. This makes sense given Napier's style and AR's relative inexperience.

Our defense does concern me somewhat. Utah is definitely an offensive team. They scored a lot on OSU (and on most teams). I think we have a solid secondary (not stellar as we have had in the past but solid). Good edge rushers but we need consistent health and play on the defensive interior. We are not very deep there and we need to stop inside the run and we need to pressure in the middle against Rising.

I still feel the underperformace in the WR squad is at least in part the inability of EJ to get the ball to them. However, I have no idea what we are doing at TE. With respect to the Ute's TEs I am deeply concerned. They are very good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Just hope we can stop the run.

I really hope fans temper their expectations. I like this guy, hope he stays awhile.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I guess that's realistically what we should do-temper our expectations. I know that in the folds of me pea-brain - But I think 90,000 fans should scream like rabid banshees, and with that there is hope to effect the outcome of the future 'in the present' on Saturday night.

Everyone needs to do their part.

GO GATORS!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You keep saying that, but I don't see it.

While Utah's defense is young, and looks somewhat vulnerable, their offense is not. Utah has a solid offense that scored a lot of points last year, and returns most of its starters from last year, including the starting QB, running back, talented receivers and a solid offensive line. They are going to score points, and control the ball, unless our defense shows us something that they didn't show last year.

I don't think our problem will be an inability to score on their defense when we have the ball, it will be the inability to get the ball. Factor in our suspect kicking game, and I don't see us scoring over 28 points. Whether our D can hold the Utes to less is the big question for me.

18. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If we happen to lose to Utah, no the sky is not falling. That said, this is not 1979 and utah is not bama.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I posted my take on the "predict the score" thread (#63 on page 4). I believe you are on the correct track.

20. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    I was serious and the reason is after what we had to endure last season with a coach who obviously gave up and a team with no direction I am not worried about our offense. I worry about a team that has no desire to win and don't foresee that as a problem this year. However, I want to keep my eyes open and truly hope we have a team that wants to play and win.
    I understand what you are saying about the backs and the line and I agree. My thought is AR won't be put in a position to have to handle a lot of complicated routs or crazy reads to get him more comfortable. I see the playbook for this game looking a lot like what we did in the spring game. Lots of underneath routes and throwing to the backs. I am hoping and think this coaching staff is more concerned with putting our QB in a position to do what he does best instead of forcing him to do more than he is capable of. I heard from a few people in print and on TV about how Mullen wasn't the most likeable guy and think there was quite a bit of arrogance there and it came out in his coaching too. My gut tells me this coach is not like that. I am a bit concerned about the receivers but we do have some experience there but still believe the game plan will not put a great deal of pressure on them or AR.

I agree with what you say about keeping the defense on the field and the offense has to execute. I could go on and on about that but here's what I think. (And I have no basis for this at all other than my gut). Our O-Line is bigger than their D-Line. We find a way to establish the line of scrimmage and allow AR to do what he does and we find a way to control the game and win.
    Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1