Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

USS Portland shoots down drone with laser

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by NavyGator93, May 23, 2020.

1. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    While I was somewhat surprised to see the test was conducted by the amphibious transport ship Portland (LPD-27), I guess the reason is that the typical surface warships don't have the excess power needed for this laser.
    This is science. This is a big part of what makes the US military one of the most feared forces in the world. And it is pretty damn cool (in this old sailor's opinion).
    Video in link.

VIDEO: USS Portland Fires Laser Weapon, Downs Drone in First At-Sea Test - USNI News

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    So the laser plan is working well, but when are we getting the jetpacks our football team was promised during the Urban Meyer era?

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Since its an LPD, it's mission would take it in close to the coast line which would fall into range of land based UAV's. The blue water navy doesn't need to get that close to the coast.

4. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    You don’t think blue water Navy is within range of land based UAVs? What do you think the range of some Chinese (for example) land based UAVs are?

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Hopefully we’ll have better security guarding these secrets. Seems like Chinese keep stealing our tech.

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The test was against a UAV. I wonder how close we are to developing the capability of using lasers to shoot down anti-ship missiles. Just my opinion but I think missiles represent a greater threat than UAVs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I am not in the loop anymore but I would think that is/has been in the works.
    Also remember that UAVs can carry missiles.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    VIDEO: USS Portland Fires Laser Weapon, Downs Drone in First At-Sea Test - USNI News[/QUOTE]
    DARPA is quietly the military's most important weapon. If only the rest of government, and the population, we're so forward thinking and science based. Long ago, for example, they took global warming seriously and started planning accordingly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I was referring to near peer actors. If we get into a shooting war with China, UAVs are pretty far down on our list worries.

10. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    It simply confounds me that the vast majority of electronic components required for building complex electronics are sourced from China. Making it virtually impossible to truly design and develop anything secretly.

11. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Oh goody! Another technology that will always be put to good use and in the hands of the government for the sole purpose of "defending" the USA, of which will only be used for that purpose and never to do anything else. For instance, the USA would never consider selling the technology to say...Saudi Arabia or any other country. Oh but wait...yes they will if the money and common interest is there. Nothing like a "pretty damn cool" laser to make life better in the is world.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I am a firm believer in a small and technologically superior force. So yeah, I think it is pretty cool.

13. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    That tech has been around for 10+ years. The Israelis and US developed a laser (Tactical High Energy Laser) that could destroy mortars and rockets in the early 2000’s. They decided it was too big and expensive to successfully use at the time, and cancelled it in 2005. Much cheaper to use a laser than missiles. But technology has caught up and it is finally getting compact enough to make it a viable option.

14. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    It is made from “off the shelf” parts, so any nation could put the laser together. They took commercially available welding lasers and bundled them together to increase the energy output. The expense is in the control and guidance system for aiming the laser.