Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Using Mace

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorfan5220, Dec 5, 2018.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I live in Miami and take the Metrorail to get downtown.

This puts me in close proximity with some questionable characters.

Every 4-6 months a situation will arise with one of these sorts where a fight almost occurs. I am 68 and truly look my age yet some younger moron will start
    acting belligerant without my having caused anything.

What does the gang think about my carrying and using mace should the situation call for it?

Or would my doing so escalate things in a way not beneficial to me?

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Up to this point, it sounds as if the situations resolved themselves with no harm done.
    I'd be concerned that spraying mace in an enclosed train could make things worse . . . and you could draw the wrath of more than one questionable character.
    People get belligerent with you for absolutely no reason?

3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [QUOTE="
    People get belligerent with you for absolutely no reason?[/QUOTE]

That is correct. I'm just sitting there.

4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Mace will most likely hit unintended people, as well as your target, should the need ever arise.

That's a recipe for even more trouble..

Instead, consider carrying a small, yet powerful stun device.

It will bring down the antagonist, with those around you wondering why the guy just crumbled.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Taze him, bro !

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That is correct. I'm just sitting there.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe it’s the gator gear you’re wearing

7. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Do they give any indication of why they are belligerent? Do they want to sit in your seat? Do they object to your clothing? Do they think you are looking at them funny?

Mace is good for an open air situation, unless there is a large wind blowing in your direction. I have maced one dog, and come close to macing two others, for chasing me down the street barking and snapping at me while I'm out jogging. Most dogs know they are in trouble when you point something at them. They seem to know when your fear of them has been replaced with confidence that the little cylinder will solve the problem. It's likely that questionable characters on a metro would act differently, however.

I suspect that you would regret using Mace in a confined space like a metro car. The person would likely double over in extreme pain, but would recover enough to come after you within a few minutes unless you clubbed them unconscious while they were doubled over. You might wish you had an escape plan when they decided to come after you.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If the belligerents are compromising your commuting experience, handle it like Garth. Plus, the chicks dig it

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I don’t know how it isn’t in Miami but with my CWP, I never go anywhere without my .40. Hope to never use it but glad I have it along for the ride

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Bear Repellent is good too I hear.
    Yes, carry it. You’re obviously not a gun toter, so if you don’t want to taze, then spray. If it it helps you feel safer. Just don’t spray a ‘Da’U fan’ because you’re wearing a Harvin jesery.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. WhattaGator

Although I have a CCP, I'd much rather not "off" someone...

I DO, however, carry a 50.00.00 Volt VERY concealeable and very legal stunnner...

Extremely effective, with no chance of spraying anyone else...

I had a buddy who dared me to use it on him... a big guy, about 280 lbs, and it brought him to the ground in about one second...

and... he couldn't get up for about a minute, with help!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    The “other” people will have to deal with the spray while “Da’U” guy is on the ground whaling like a bitch. Perhaps this topic should be on Too Hot? The guy feels unsafe and you’re thinking about “other” people? Lol...

13. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 All American

Nov 25, 2013
    The issue to me is that once you spray him you still have to ride that same train. I doubt he will give you the chance to use it a second time. I would suggest CCW. But I figure that's not an option.

14. WhattaGator

So, you don't think that unleashing a cloud of irritants in a closed environment is a good idea?

Those "other" people could also get hostile pretty quickly..

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Been riding the CTA trains for almost 30 years and have seen all kinds of crazy stuff. Wouldn't think of using mace or pepper spray. One thing I've come to understand is that the people who are targeted usually appear vulnerable in some way, age, gender, their clothes or the look on their face. I'm 60 now and feel less vulnerable than ever. I wear mostly black, sunglasses, earbuds and in the winter, a beat up leather jacket. Sunglasses and earbuds are helpful because you can pretend you don't see or hear people who are trying to provoke you. 10 years of martial arts has helped me stay really relaxed and vigilant while I'm on the train. When I'm riding at night, I pay attention to everyone who boards so I'm aware of who might start trouble.

My only advice is to not wear expensive clothes, be mindful of your posture and don't make your phone or briefcase too easy to grab. Smartphone theft while riding public transportation is a huge thing here. Best to put it away before you get to a stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    That's the issue in any instance where you have to defend yourself on a train. Even if you have a permit, it's almost universally illegal to board public transportation with a handgun. The bigger problem is pulling it and especially using it in close quarters. Over-penetration could land you in jail. Bad guys don't even carry their guns on the trains here. If there's trouble on the train, they know that cops will be waiting at the next stop.

17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    If you did that in Chicago, the "other" people will be all over you if you got spray on them. The person who messes with you might not be the most dangerous person on the train.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Speedofsand

Speedofsand VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Stun gun / taser is a good option. Pepper spray could injure others or make them turn on you. It could also sting your own eyes if they are close enough to fight.
    A bullet could miss the target and hit an innocent bystander. If I was vulnerable I and was forced to use urban public transportation I might consider a wearable spy cam so that IF something happened you have pics for the police.
    Crime happens every minute and thugs are always looking for the opportunity. Be safe.

19. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Never thought of that. Probably a good idea.

The opportunists are the smart phone thieves. They hang near the doors looking around for someone holding their device with anything less than a death grip, then make their move when the doors open at the next stop. I've seen them running down the platform, then disappearing down the stairs. They rarely get caught.

20. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe get yourself a comfort pit bull

• Creative Creative x 1