Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) USA Softball International Cup

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by scrappygator, Jul 2, 2019.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator Moderator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Met him in OKC this year and talked to him yesterday. He is a very nice guy, and is positive with the things he does. If you take time to listen to him, he is always encouraging the players. Better than a naysayer.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I apologize to my Diamond Gator friends. Somehow I did not transfer these over.

The U-19 had an autograph session after their second game. I'm not an autograph person, so I went around and shook all their hands and thanked them for their great representation of our country. All the ladies were very nice, and thanked us for coming.
    Got to speak with several relatives of the players: Julia Cottrill's grandparents; Rylee Trlicek's aunt, uncle, and grandparents; and a couple of ladies from Gainesville spoke with Charla Echols mom. All the relatives were very excited about the ladies coming to Florida, and can't wait to come see KSP.
    Also spoke with Kelley Lynch's mom. I told her that Kelley would get very homesick way off in Washington, and she needed to come on down to Florida. She said they were shocked when she picked Washington, as they thought all along she was coming to Florida. Maybe we will see her in the transfer portal at the end of next year. Anyway, wish her all the best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    WEDNESDAY AT 7:08 PM#16
    [​IMG]July 3, 2019
    USA U-19 vs Mexico
    This was one of the most forgettable games of the Cup.
    U-19 did not show up at all. They did hold Mexico for the first 5 innings, but errors and mental mistakes did them in.
    Highlights for U-19 were Echols with a single, and Cottrill with a HBP.
    I will give credit to Mexico's pitcher, Taylor McQuillan. She pitched a great game, and U-19 had no answer.
    She just graduated from Arizona, and led the nation this season in shutouts with 15.
    Tip of the cap.
    Final 6-0 Mexico

4. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    July 3, 2019
    USA U-19 vs USA National Team
    This was an intriguing matchup, and U-19 really made it an interesting game.
    • Late Score Costs USA U-19 WNT Against USA WNT
    • USA U-19 WNT lost the lead late in a 5-1 defeat to USA WNT on Wednesday. The game was tied at one with USA WNT batting in the top of the tenth when an error scored one run for USA WNT.
    • USA U-19 WNT got things started in the first inning. Bailey Dowling singled on the first pitch of the at bat, scoring one run.
    • USA WNT evened things up at one in the top of the sixth inning when Valerie Arioto hit a solo homer.
    • Monica Abbott led the USA WNT to victory on the rubber. She surrendered zero runs on zero hits over five innings, striking out 12. Rachel Garcia threw one and one-third innings in relief out of the bullpen.
    • Megan Faraimo took the loss for USA U-19 WNT. She allowed five hits and three runs over nine and a third innings, striking out eight.
    • Keilani Ricketts started the game for USA WNT. She allowed five hits and one run over three and two-thirds innings, striking out four and walking zero
    • USA WNT mashed two home runs on the day. Arioto had a dinger in the sixth inning. Kelsey Stewart had a four bagger in the tenth inning.
    • Jadelyn Allchin, Jasmine Sievers, Dowling, Skylar Wallace, and Julia Cottrill each collected one hit to lead USA U-19 WNT.
    • USA WNT didn't commit a single error in the field. Aubree Munro had the most chances in the field with 15.
    • It was a good day for Gators new and old. Echols advanced the runner in the first inning who scored giving U-19 the early lead.
    • Julia Cottrill had a single in the bottom of the second, but no one picked her up.
    • Faraimo pitched a good game, but the home run to Arioto changed the complexion of the game.
    • From then on, it was just a matter of time.
    • Monica Abbott came in the bottom of the 6th and it was game over.
    • An error by the pitcher, a homer by Kelsey Stewart, and a single by Kirsti Merritt, and the Fat Lady Sang.
    • We had Gators doing good things on both sides, but the Big Sisters were not going to let the Little Sisters best them. But, they tried hard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    July 4, 2019
    USA U-19 vs Scrapyard FP
    Future Gators-Charla Echols, 3B; Julia Cottrill, C
    The first inning was uneventful as Sievers had a single for U-19, and Kasey Cooper a double for SUFP, no scores.
    Top of the second, Coleman singles for U-19 and then 3 straight outs.
    Bottom of the second, Walters singles to right field. Landry grounds to 1st, U-19 tries to get double play, and Walters is safe at second, but Landry is thrown out at first. Landry runs for Walters, and advances to 3rd on an infield single by Winkfield. Becker singles to CF and Sartain scores. Leach flies out to left.
    At the end of 2, 1-0 SYFP.
    Top of the third-Godin with a bunt single (she can fly), and steals second on the next pitch. Wallace sacrifices her to 3rd. On a one strike pitch, Charla Echols sends a no doubt homer way over the right field fence scoring Godin an d herself. Middle of 3, 2-1 USA U-19.
    Bottom of the 3rd, 3up and 3 down for Scrapyard.
    Top of the 4th, was 2 up and 2 down, then Julia Cottrill singles to 2nd baseman who made a diving stop but could not get her out. Then fly out to end the inning.
    Bottom of the 4th, Strike out, Pop out, Line out for SYFP.
    Bottom of the 4th-3 up and 3 down.
    Top of the 5th, Godin singles, Wallaces grounds into a FC, Line out, K.
    Bottom of the 5th, 3 up and 3 down for Scrapyard.
    Top of the 6th, 3 up and 3 down for U-19
    Bottom of the 6th, two outs, Edwards singles to center, Stokes grounds out.
    Top of the 7th, 3 up and 3 down for U-19.
    Bottom of the 7th, Kilfoyl strikes out the first two batters, including our nemesis, Samantha Show, and gets Sartain to line out
    Ball Game-USA U-19 2-1 over Scrapyard Fast Pitch.
    Charla Echols-1 for 3; 2 RBI, Run Scored, Fielding 4 Chances, 2 PO, 2 Assists. Very smooth 3rd Baseman.
    For the tournament so far- BA-.389, SLG-.722, OPS-1.086
    Julia Cottrill-1 for 3 with a K. Fielding 5 Chances, 5 Putouts.
    For the Tournament so far-BA-.312, SLG-.500, OPS-.921
    Looking forward to see them in Gainesville.

• Like Like x 1
  6. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    July 4, 2019
    USA vs China Taipei
    This was a heck of a game. The teams went back and forth, toe to toe.
    Cat Osterman started for the USA and pitched a great game, only allowing 2 hits, no runs and 12 Ks.
    The two Taipei pitchers allowed 1 run, 6 hits, and 3 Ks.
    Lots of 3 and outs by both teams and runners caught stealing.
    Bottom of the 6th, McCleney triples with 1 Out.
    Reed grounds to 2B, who throws McCleney out at home.
    Merritt grounds out for the third out.
    Top of the 7th, Yen grounds out to first; Garcia comes in to pitch to PH Yi, who hits a long fly to CF for the second out.
    Osterman reenters, and Chen smokes a grounder to Alioto at first, which knocks her glove off, but recovers to get her out.
    Bottom of the 7th, Arioto singles to right, (how many times when a player makes a great play, they are the 1st batter in the next inning?}
    Jaquish runs for Arioto, and Spaulding sacrifices her to second.
    Aguilar singles to left, and Jaquish is thrown out at home, and Aguilar advances to second. Two outs.
    Michelle Moultrie PHs for Mulipola, and singles to centerfield, scoring Aguilar for the walkoff.
    Game over. USA 1-0 over Chinese Taipei.
    This was as an enjoyable game as you could imagine. And a Gator gets the walkoff. It doesn't get any better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    This post is about Human Interest Stories, so if you are not in to that, just go look at something else.

Heather Tarr-She is the head coach of the University of Washington, and also the head coach of the USNT U-19 Team. After observing her very close up, and speaking with her one on one today, I am impressed with her beyond anything I could have imagined before. This lady is player's coach. She is very upbeat, and positive. She goes out and picks up bats, stops foul balls, is smiling all the time and encouraging her players. Sandman 70 and I got to speak with her for about 5 minutes today, and came away wanting to play with the Huskies. I cannot express how gracious and positive she is with the players and with us as Florida fans. We told her as we departed, we know why Kelly Lynch went from Georgia to Washington to play for her. Super Lady.

Coach Walton-we had a brief interaction with him at the end of a game. He signed Sandman 70's glove, and was very gracious. He genuinely thanked us for coming out to support the team. I asked him if he was keeping an eye on the "Waiver Wire" (Transfer Portal), and he just grinned with no comment.

Samantha Walton-Met her as we were coming out for the rain delay, and she was coming in. She was super nice, and stayed and spoke with us even after her group left. I asked her if Tim was watching the Transfer Portal, and she said he was constantly. Very nice and engaging lady.

Larry Hughes-Kept hearing this guy talk to the players, and knowing everything about them. I went up and asked him if he was Charla Echols dad? Come to find out, he follows all softball recruiting, and knows all of the ladies on every team. He lives in Auburn, AL and researches all the high school recruits and knows every stat for them. Super guy, and not creepy at all. Love this guy. (except he's an Alabama fan)

Dave Platts, ABC Columbus, GA. Sandman 70 and I sat beside him for the USA-CHINESE-TAIPEI GAME.
    He has been in Columbus for 35 years, and was a fountain of knowledge for using the television world. He showed great shots that he had filmed during the game, up until the game winner by Michelle Moultrie.

Charla Echols Mother-I asked her why her older daughter Ebonee went to Michigan State? She said that Ebonee committed to a coach, and would not waiver. Two years later, that coach was killed in a car wreck, but her commitment was made and she stayed. Her mother told her she didn't have to stay after one year, but she insisted.
    Charla followed her and they played together one year, but Charla was ready to move on.
    Luckily for us, she chose UF, and we are the better for it.

Had a nice conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Cottrill. He was interviewed on TV right behind us, so that is how we found out who he was. So, when he was through, we were able to speak with both of them. They said Julia had camped at Florida, and from then on, that was where she was going. She is one tough lady. Day before yesterday she was hit by a pitch on the left wrist in the first game, and in the second game, she was hit on the left hand by a hard foul. It took her awhile to shake that off, but she stayed in the game and had it iced during the autograph session. We figured she would not play yesterday, but played the whole game, and got a hit.

Gordon Duff-he lives and works in Tifton, but is a big Gator fan. He has one sport that he has season tickets for, and guess what, it is softball. He drives down from Tifton to go to the games. Section 104, second row.

Only parents of the new Gators we didn't meet were the Trlicek's. The mom had strep throat, and they had to leave early.

If you ever get the chance to come to an event like this, don't hesitate. The softball is unbelievable, but even better are the people you meet. Here, there are mostly SEC fans, but all so engaging and friendly. I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    July 5, 2019
    USA U-19 vs Japan
    Future Gators-Julia Cottrill-C; Charla Echols-3B Not a Gator Starting pitcher-Kelley Lynch
    Top of the 1st-J Sievers gets a single to center in between the 2nd and 3rd outs.
    Bottom of the 1st-Japan gets a one out single and then the next batter hits a 2 run homer
    Top of the 2nd-Line out, K, Julia Cottrill lines a single to center, K
    Bottom of the 2nd-3 up and down for Japan. Nice inning by Lynch.
    Top of the 3rd-Godin singles to LF; Wallace lines into a DP; Echols grounds out to 2B.
    Bottom of the 3rd-Walk, Single, FC, 2 more walks loads the bases, ground ball single to left scoring 2, runners on 1st and 2nd, Lynch issues another walk to load the bases, and another to bring in another run.
    Lynch lifted for Callie Turner. Turner walks in another run. The next batter lines a ball down the left field line which was at least 6 inches foul, but called fair by the 3B umpire, this clears the bases, and batter ends up on 2nd. Then a foul fly out to RF. This play by play is a little screwed up because the 2nd out is not listed.
    Score-Japan 7 U-19 0 Umpire 3
    Top of the 4th-Sievers and Dowling K swinging, Coleman walks, Allchin singles, Cottrill K swinging.
    Final Score-Japan 10 U-19 0
    U-19 had 4 hits and 7 Ks
    Japan had 5 hits, 8 walks and 2 Ks.
    Japan is clearly the superior team, but U-19 pitching today was less than desirable, as well as hitting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Great fun to see your posts, Scrappy.

I have no idea what you look like -- one fan tonight sat right behind the plate with a Gator t-shirt and was on TV the whole game. Maybe that was you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If it was a gray haired guy wearing an orange shirt that said Florida Softball it was me

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Sandman 70 and I were slightly down the 3B side of home plate at the backstop. When the Japanese catcher made that great catch at the backstop, we could have poked her in the eye.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Do you think these three players make up for Barnhill and Lorenz? Thanks to your threads I feel much more optimistic for next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I can't say that for sure, but I am definitely encouraged by what I have seen in Columbus. Plus, we have four other freshmen who might surprise us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    @johnny_cakes
    @scrappy sits in the top row behind your usual seats but a few seats up the line from homeplate, next KSP game I will try to get you together with him and @swampgas44 both are true Gator SB Super fans

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    @scrappy -- down the row from Pat and Lynn??? Look forward to meeting you and swampgas!

• Like Like x 3
  16. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Great game -- looking forward to Scrappy's report on the feel in the stadium.

It's a good thing that the catcher dropped the ball anyway on the winning run. It sure didn't look like obstruction to me and I would have not liked to win on a bad call. The catcher was set up in the corner of the batter's box, giving the runner a clear path to the back of plate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Spot on. I agree it would have been a bad call.

• Like Like x 1
  18. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    It's late and I sat in 90+ degree heat for 9 hours, so just a little human interest tonight.
    Michelle Moultrie has quite a bit of family here, with most of them wearing Moultrie jerseys. So this intrepid correspondent went up and sat by them to find out what Michelle is up to. Talked with her uncle and dad, and found out that when Michelle is not playing, she, Aubree, Ali Aguilar, Janie Reed, and one other I can't remember, do softball clinics, and also, Church in the Dirt, which you find on FB.

The next one is on me. I sat with Ali Aguilar's mom for about 30 minutes, just talking about various things. I got up to leave and they had one of their Pocket Litter prize things. Today they honored Pediatric Cancer survivors, and the were helping raise awareness for it. I had on my Sunflower Saturday shirt, so I was fired up. Come to find out the first person to bring the guy a Florida Driver's License would win a USA Softball Jersey. I was literally 20 feet from the guy, so I trot down and start looking in my wallet. I have met quite a few people there, and I can hear them saying it's Roger, he's going to win. So, I think it is in one side, and I start looking, fumbling around, and then I start looking on the other side, 3,000 people are watching. In the meantime, Michelle Moultrie's cousin comes from high up in 2 sections away and shows a Florida license before I can find mine, and gets the jersey. The whole crowd is laughing their butts off, so I just give her a high five and she runs off. I have gotten more ragging today over that than I have had in a while, and it has been fun. Don't dish it out, if you can't take it.

Sandman 70 and I have been sitting in seats along the backstop all week, with no one saying a thing. They are for handicap seats, and if we had seen anybody with a walker, crutches, etc. we would have certainly vacated them.
    Well today, the lady who is in charge of the tournament (which is another story I will get to), came and said we needed to vacate the seats, along with everyone else that was sitting in them. We were like, we have been sitting here all week, and no one has said anything to us about it. But, we didn't say anything and left. She came and apologized to us later and said she was sorry, but there was nothing she could do about it. We told her, no problem, no harm, no foul. All week, we have been hanging out with the Supervisor of Umpires for USA Softball, who is a super guy. So, I am walking down the stands after a game, and this guy is coming up the stairs. He says, Sorry you got kicked out of your seats. I've never seen anyone with a four letter name that could boss so many people around.
    Come find out, D'Angelo Sanchez was doing his thing behind home plate. ESPN told USA Softball that he had to go, as he was on TV all the time when the ball was pitched. So, instead of just asking him to move, they cleared everyone out of those seats, as well as D'Angelo. Money talks.

Speaking of those seats. If you were watching ESPN last night for the USA-Japan game, the Japanese catcher made a great play on a foul ball up against the net. Sandman 70 and I could have poked her in the eye, as she caught it right in front of us. A friend of Sandy's texted him and said, I just saw you on TV.

And, speaking of the net, it is called SpectraNet. It is specially designed so that still and TV cameras can shoot through it without interference. This is what we have at KSP.

Back to the lady who is in charge of the tournament. Yesterday, I went to lunch at a breakfast/lunch place called Ruth Ann's. Sandy and I had gone before, but I was by myself. There was a long line waiting, and I just stood there fat, dumb, and happy. About, 15 minutes later, a server comes and says, is everyone one on the waiting list. Of course, I didn't even know there was one. This couple came in after me, and he went up and said his name is Roger, which is my name. I said, I am Roger, too, but I gave her my middle name to help out. The guy says seat him first, but they had their 14 month old granddaughter with them, so I said no problem, you go ahead. So, when they were called, he asked if I was by myself, and when I said yes, he said come eat with us. So, I did. Come to find out, their daughter works for USA Softball in OKC, and was in charge of this whole tournament. And, their other daughter, who is the mother of their only grandchild is married to an Army Ranger stationed at Fort Benning in Columbus. We had a great lunch and conversation, and they wound up buying my lunch, also. And, it was their daughter, Megan, who threw us out of our seats. Great people, children, and beautiful granddaughter.

When I ate with this couple and their granddaughter, they mentioned that there was this chicken salad place they were going to go to, but saw Ruth Ann's and decided to come in. So, we had a couple hours between games today, so I told Sandy let's go to the chicken salad place. We Googled it, and it is called the Chicken Salad Chick. It is over 5 miles from the stadium, but we were on a mission. So, we get there, and Sandy says, there is a guy with a USA Softball jersey on. So, I am through first, and go and sit across from him. I say who are you rooting for at the tournament. He says, Kirsti Merritt. What are the chances? So, we have this great conversation and time with them. He is way into Crossfit, and is bulked up with some serious guns. The mother is very attractive, but Kirsti looks a lot like her Dad (which is not a bad thing, as Kirsti is attractive, too). Kirsti is playing 6 months a year in Japan, just recently got married, and is still planning on getting her Physical Therapy degree.

Last night, during the USA-Japan game, Joelene Henderson, our Volunteer Assistant Coach, who plays for the USAAA Pride came by us. Sandy flagged her down and we had a great 10 minute conversation with her. They played Team USA later, but it wound up being called by lightning.
    She is so nice, and very pretty, too. She gave us both big hugs as she went to warm up for her game.
    Tonight, the Pride played Japan, and Joelene started. She pitched well, but the team had some miscues behind her and she wound up being pulled. I left after she did. Japan won 3-2.

Tomorrow, U-19 plays for 3rd place against the Scrapyard Dogs at 11 am, and even though I am Scrappy, I will root for our U-19 Team for sure. USA National Team plays Japan for the championship at noon on ESPN.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    @scrappygator
    thanks for the report, great to find Gator family wherever you find them....

20. scrappygator

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Heading to see U-19 play in the 3rd Place Game. Hope this young Gator gets some hits.
    charla_4.jpg

• Like Like x 1